• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

800 w - White ink Issue

Simon Peach

Hi all,

We've had our 800w installed for a week now and have just produced a large run on our optically clear PET film. - Its solid white in the centre fading into clear.

The issue is where the ink is solid white, it scratches clean off with the squeegee, we've used a couple of different types of squeegee, soft edges etc. - Just comes clean off.

Is there anything to be done with curing, heat etc to resolve this? - I'm new to HP machines and the manual; isn't giving me much info on adjustments.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 596

Mike Perth

Hi Simon
Have you checked that you’re putting down some overcoat? Look in the Advanced Settings in the profile on the printer screen as per the attached.
We’ve been printing on the clear with white using .5 overcoat and the white is stable. I can send the settings we’re using when I get in on Monday if required.
Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 6.20.11 pm copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 6.20.11 pm copy.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 350

Simon Peach

Thanks Mike
Was set to .5. - I've jacked it up to 2 and bought the curing temp from 85 top 110. - Will give that a try.

Mike Perth

Hi Simon, just double check the fade out to clear is clear, a setting of 2 may give you a haze in the clear area. Good luck.

Simon Peach

Hi Simon, just double check the fade out to clear is clear, a setting of 2 may give you a haze in the clear area. Good luck.
Thanks, Mike. - I'll have a play aorund. - I've created a new profile on the display panel on the HP, any idea how I get it to appear in Onyx for selecting?

Mike Perth

You’ll need to “Refresh” Onyx, I do this all day and can’t remember the exact settings after a long day and a couple of reds. Just restart Onyx and the profile should appear for selection.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
2 is most likely too much. Great if it helps but I wouldn't put more than 1.0.

The material might just have such a surface that the ink can't stick to it well enough.

If something you should add more temperature and air flow to the print zone and possibly add some interpass delay. This is to help dry the first passes under most of the ink. That is where you have the issue.

Then you should give it 24 hours to have the full adhesion.

You should if possible use some soap water with the squeegee.

Just load the roll to the printer and onyx will load it in few minutes.

Last edited:

Simon Peach

Thanks, guys, will give the increase in temp and airflow a go too and will drop the overcoat a nudge.

The product is a Lintec PET film, have been using it for years on our Acuity, we've printed some regular CMYK with it on the 800 and had no issues at all, seems to solely be where the white is at its most dense (I can't scratch where the gradient begins to fade). - I actually found a specific Lintec profile on the HP site but couldn't seem to install onto Onyx. - I could see the profile settings so have copied these onto my own profile on the HP but they don't vary too much from the preset clear polyester film which I'm struggling with.

Simon Peach

I see, (sorry for the lack of knowledge. - had 2 days to get up to speed with HP & Latex)

I'll take a look at how to import them.

Simon Peach

Thanks of the help on this guys,

Just an update in case anyone runs into this at a later date. - I upped the pass rate, added an interpass delay. Baked the post-heat, upped the overcoat (to 1) + more airflow. - It was a massive improvement but still not completely stable. - Turns out Lintec Optically clear film is only for U.V & Solvent printing only. - They plan to have a new one specifically for latex later this year.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of an O/C PET adhesive film for printed gradients that works on latex, I would be eternally grateful.

Mike Perth

Just an update in case anyone runs into this at a later date. - I upped the pass rate, added an interpass delay. Baked the post-heat, upped the overcoat (to 1) + more airflow. - It was a massive improvement but still not completely stable. - Turns out Lintec Optically clear film is only for U.V & Solvent printing only. - They plan to have a new one specifically for latex later this year.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of an O/C PET adhesive film for printed gradients that works on latex, I would be eternally grateful.
Hi Simon, Can you get Image Perfect? Here’s some IP2930 we just installed without any problem. We also did some solid whites and gradiants without issues.

Attachments

• IMG_6019 low res.jpg
    IMG_6019 low res.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 324

FrankLacroix

Do you know when? I hava the same problème with my hp. I print with my uv. But,I want print my hp

Simon Peach

We’ve not heard anything about lintec releasing latex version yet.

HP have recommended DryTac to us but not had a chance to use it yet.