• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A Comprehensive Beginner’s guide to Pricing Signage

Johnny Best

So let me understand this better. If I go look at a site for a customer, to save my customer money will take the 2002 F150 instead of the new Land Rover. And to lower costs even more, wear my old work boots instead of the new Gucci loafers.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So let me understand this better. If I go look at a site for a customer, to save my customer money will take the 2002 F150 instead of the new Land Rover. And to lower costs even more, wear my old work boots instead of the new Gucci loafers.

No... show up two, new 100' cranes and then tell them it costs $2000 to install their 3x6 banner on the wall... Say you can do it for $1500 if they do it right now since your already there!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.

Yes, you understand this perfectly.

The customer needs a site survey located on the hill. Your 2002 truck needs to drive the long way around the hill and will take more than 8 hours. The Land Rover is 4WD and can drive directly up the hill in an hour. The situation is tantamount to the FedEx model. Ground Delivery service / cost vs Same Day City service / cost. FedEx pilots might also wear Gucci loafers but the ground guys probably don't.

Different levels of products and services at different price points where the customer can make a choice.

Last edited:

equippaint

Yes, you understand this perfectly.

The customer needs a site survey located on the hill. Your 2002 truck needs to drive the long way around the hill and will take more than 8 hours. The Land Rover is 4WD and can drive directly up the hill in an hour. The situation is tantamount to the FedEx model. Ground Delivery service / cost vs Same Day City service / cost. FedEx pilots might also wear Gucci loafers but the ground guys probably don't.

Different levels of products and services at different price points where the customer can make a choice.
Its not really the same unless the customer needed a rush job in which case you would possibly charge more no matter what route you take. It would probably be cheaper in the more expensive vehicle because you have less hours in the job. Even though your rate may be $150/hr because of the expensive tools, the other option @ 16hrs would have to be $18.75/hour or less to be equal. That is a competitive advantage and the reason you buy expensive tools. This is also why you account for the tool costs in what you do and comparing hourly rates between firms is not apples to apples. You can charge more, be cheaper and more profitable in many instances.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, if a customer shows up in a VW, his costs will be different from someone showing up in a Mercedes ?? Is that putting the shoe on the other foot ??

Seriously, why doesn't someone contact Fred to post up his method of doing this ?? It is so good and it will practically stop all the puny back & forth going on.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Its not really the same unless the customer needed a rush job in which case you would possibly charge more no matter what route you take. It would probably be cheaper in the more expensive vehicle because you have less hours in the job. Even though your rate may be $150/hr because of the expensive tools, the other option @ 16hrs would have to be $18.75/hour or less to be equal. That is a competitive advantage and the reason you buy expensive tools. This is also why you account for the tool costs in what you do and comparing hourly rates between firms is not apples to apples. You can charge more, be cheaper and more profitable in many instances.

I think the point of OPs original post is to help beginners with their calculations. I've quoted your post which has a few "probably"s. If you study the hill scenario further you might find the FedEx model fits well and overcomes the ambiguity of how to price a service along with equipment and profit. To be sure, FedEx knows which deliveries are not necessarily moneymakers.

Yes, the customer needs a rush site survey on the hill. How do you handle that?

jtinker

Owner
Your post is appreciated!

Do you mind saying what software you've used to develop your solution and who all use the software at your shop?

Thanks again for the post.
Thanks for any appreciation, critics and the like, I am reviewing the guide and plan to make a more advanced one covering some of the less talked about stuff and things that are not so obvious.

I used php on the codeigniter framework for my overall database, crm, client messaging & approval system and production pipeline along with jquery, Ajax and html5 to build the actual calculators out. Those were the technologies, the actual software was just a standard word processor TextMate for Mac and a server to test on mamp, then lastly something to design my front end. I ended up using pinegrow.

I had planned on having a few members test out the calculator for a few months. Preferably somewhere along the east cost since I am taking a road trip toward the end of the year and would like to visit them as well to see how things are progressing and get some feedback for the final version.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 9.57.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 9.57.43 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 194
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 9.58.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 9.58.53 AM.png
    270.9 KB · Views: 181

jtinker

Owner
Forgot to answer the other question. All staff use the software. They have access to different parts but it all works together. Sales team are able to see estimates, invoices, make proposals set tasks and calendar events. Production team see the production pipeline and job breakdowns but cant talk to clients or mess with invoices. Administrators are able to view edit things like inventory, calculator settings and more advanced functions as well as all of the above.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Thanks for the reply!

You have me believing you're a full-stack developer. So, I recommend you download the demo from JobProCentral to glean the schema and especially notice the row density of the interface. Many current web applications fall short in this aspect, thus leaving users without a 30,000 ft view of where they are and what they're doing. Your master nav panel certainly helps but users will still need to see at least 36 rows to work with for this industry. Both JobPro and Cyrious for signs have it right. User can see necessities on one layout and while in list view they can notice data entry errors more easily. There are many complaints here at Signs101 about the difficulty for users to create products with their new software. Half of the problem is poor user experience design.

A lot of current web app UI is elegant to the eye but not elegant as UX.

Good luck!

jtinker

Owner
Thanks for the reply!

You have me believing you're a full-stack developer. So, I recommend you download the demo from JobProCentral to glean the schema and especially notice the row density of the interface. Many current web applications fall short in this aspect, thus leaving users without a 30,000 ft view of where they are and what they're doing. Your master nav panel certainly helps but users will still need to see at least 36 rows to work with for this industry. Both JobPro and Cyrious for signs have it right. User can see necessities on one layout and while in list view they can notice data entry errors more easily. There are many complaints here at Signs101 about the difficulty for users to create products with their new software. Half of the problem is poor user experience design.

A lot of current web app UI is elegant to the eye but not elegant as UX.

Good luck!

You're absolutely correct. I've been messing with curious for a few years. From a design perspective I think I went a bit standard and overhauled the actual mechanics of the engine. Everything that can be done automatically, is. So if a job is approved by a customer it moves to approved. if its rejected it moves to rejected. I am currently in the process of developing an AI system that basically does what I would be doing with all my employees. Asking each of them what they are doing and if its complete, if its not reminding them that it needs to be done by the due date then generate a daily report of what has happened and things that are pending. And update a timeline for the administrators.

I still have some of the kinks to work out but I look forward to having someone other than myself test it. This is exactly the type of feedback I would need in order to get this working perfectly.

DerbyCitySignGuy

You just don't understand normal conversation, dialog or discussion. First of all, while this thread might give some people an inkling of what to look for in a few sparse places in pricing, quoting, bidding.... whatever, it's hardly what the title suggests. I hardly need you to tell me to move on. You have absolutely nothing to ever contribute anywhere on this forum. Sure, you give a few thumbs up and some thumbs down and you tell me and some of the others to hit the pike all the time, but you are not in charge of me or this forum..... or are you ?? Your constant ruining of threads by going after me or whomever and pretending to be the site police does no one any good, especially the OP in all of your railroaded threads.

Besides, I didn't make a stink. I asked some direct questions which the OP halfway addressed, but not really. He indicated you'll hafta find all the other particulars out on your own. Well, that's the hard part and he left that out. I'm not condemning him by asking why or how he forget to put the important parts into the equation. However, your input does nothing to help anyone....... except your own little ego.

Get a hobby....... Ha, you'll never be part of a group. You just wanna create problems and boss people around. With your Napoleonic Complex..... I'm picturing you to be about 5'2", stubborn as all get out and balding with a kinda chubby belly. Get a life.​

"Don't understand normal conversation..." Says the guy who can't make a post without resorting to ad hominems. Get a life, Gino. You're a fossil. I seriously can't wait for you and all the rest of the "good ol' boys" club to retire out of this industry. I'm tired of all the racism, misogyny, and elitism from the older generations.

The good news is that every year at SGIA and ISA I see more women, POC, and young folks and hear fewer off color jokes from old farts who are scared of their shadows.

Also, green isn't your color, Gino. You're gonna have to get over than jealousy that I'm still young and virile while you're a wrinkled old turd. Keep poppin' those little blue pills and combing that hair over, grandpa!

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
"Don't understand normal conversation..." Says the guy who can't make a post without resorting to ad hominems. Get a life, Gino. You're a fossil. I seriously can't wait for you and all the rest of the "good ol' boys" club to retire out of this industry. I'm tired of all the racism, misogyny, and elitism from the older generations.

The good news is that every year at SGIA and ISA I see more women, POC, and young folks and hear fewer off color jokes from old farts who are scared of their shadows.

Also, green isn't your color, Gino. You're gonna have to get over than jealousy that I'm still young and virile while you're a wrinkled old turd. Keep poppin' those little blue pills and combing that hair over, grandpa!

You know once they retire, they will have MOOOOOORRREEEEE time to be here right???