• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Accidentally wrapped truck in 3M 40C, would that hold?

rdelight

Vehicle Wraps
Hi, My installers just fully wrapped a truck that was printed on the wrong film, we found that it was 3M 40C but laminated with 2 mil cast overlaminate.
Would you let that go out for a test with a customer, or it has to be re-wrapped?
Should I expect this to hold long term, in lower Alabama?

KH t's n Signs

what type of truck? Did you use primer 94? What do you consider long term? 2 years? 5 years? And was it a full wrap bumpers and all?

weyandsign

Put yourself in the customer's shoes. Would you want your truck wrapped with calendered vinyl? No, you wouldn't. You could admit the mistake and offer a discount or offer to re-wrap

rdelight

Vehicle Wraps
It's a commercial wrap and it's done right, no primer. Hood and roof were printed on wider media and it was cast, no bumpers.
From what I understand wrap shops all over the world are using calendared films, many of the color change wrap brands like techwrap are calendar and people are using them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Kinda depends on what you quoted them. If you quoted one thing and gave them another, it's entirely up to them if they want you to do it over or not...... or accept a 30% discount or something, not other shops who might be doing it. That has absolutely no bearing on what you promised.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
That's unfortunate, probably not something that you want to discover after the job is done.

How well do you know the customer? If I was in your shoes I'd probably explain what happened and see if they're okay with leaving at is for the time being, with the understanding that if/when it fails prematurely that you will replace with proper cast film. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will hold up or the vehicle will get written off, or maybe you'll be redoing it in a couple of months.

rdelight

Vehicle Wraps
Yes, that's absolutely right. I'm not trying to get away with a mistake that will cost anything to the customer. I wonder if I can expect the wrap to hold.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That's unfortunate, probably not something that you want to discover after the job is done.

How well do you know the customer? If I was in your shoes I'd probably explain what happened and see if they're okay with leaving at is for the time being, with the understanding that if/when it fails prematurely that you will replace with proper cast film. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will hold up or the vehicle will get written off, or maybe you'll be redoing it in a couple of months.
This is what I was thinking. It just might hold up fairly well. Some areas will fail sooner than if you used 180. Just guarantee you will repair early failure in the future.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
40c is meant for flat surfaces and mild curves. Does you truck involve compound curves, indentations or other problem areas ??

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
But if it's already on there, there's no problem areas, yet. It's a removable vinyl, and could fall off in a couple months. Depends on the weather and care. So if/ when it starts falling off, fix it.

Johnny Best

If it has rivits that will be the first place to fail, I have wrapped trucks with flat sides with calander with cast laminate product and it holds up well without a problem.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I've used 40C on a number of wraps, on ambulances, trailers, pickups, and SUVs. They hold up just fine, especially if you are using the proper laminate. If you hold it for a few days, and it appears to not show and failure whatsoever, let it go.

d fleming

My final decision was to call the customer and explain we have to hold the truck for longer and re-wrap it. The good thing was all parts weren't yet reinstalled (mirrors, handles, and such), and because it was freshly re-wrapped, we stripped both sides in 20 minutes.
Bingo. That kind of ethic will ensure you a quality rep and longevity in business. Good call.