• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ACM OUTSIDE

enes sonmez

i saw a sign with Aluminum Composite backing when we are removing it. i have never used even that material is half price of .40 Aluminum itself.
Also people are making monument signs from ACM materials. what is the disadvantages of using it outside ?

Attachments

• IMG_6629.jpeg
    IMG_6629.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 316

signheremd

Aluminum Composite is very durable for exterior use. It comes in different thicknesses: as a 3mm it is a great material to go on a wall or over a wooden face, but 3mm is too thin to withstand wind unsupported (like when used between two posts); 6mm or thicker will do much better between posts - but keep in mind the core is plastic, therefore somewhat soft. Another weakness is it can dent easily. But the advantages far outweigh these two considerations. It looks sharp, can be bent to conform to shapes, is durable, long lasting and rot proof.

brdesign

ACM is my go to material for outdoor sign panels, I haven't made an MDO sign in years. I don't think it's very common for constructing monument signs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It costs much less cause it has 2 pieces of aluminum about .007" to .010" sandwiched around a piece or exterior grade plastic, so it only has 1/2 the aluminum in it. However, it is strong.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
There isn't any downside worth worrying about. ACM is cheap, strong, and will probably outlast the next ice age. You can cut it and drill it just like it was wood and any drop is great for making jigs. If you're into that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now........ whodathunk ?? So hard to believe you have an EX. Sorry to hear that :omg:

Aaron Hunter

Only issue I've ever had was due to our vendor not realizing they gave us interior grade. Other than that, it's been our go to especially for routed signs as we can rout it with the Colex's 3.5 HP spindle.

JBurton

Signtologist
ACM backs are not UL compliant for use in an electrical enclosure, unless you buy acm that costs more than 063 aluminum in the first place. If you are buying channel letters with acm backs from a wholesaler, they likely are lying to the UL inspector, ask them for a breakdown of components for your own UL records and watch them panic.
Source: I make UL approved signs, and I'm cheap enough to want to use acm.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Some of the brush aluminum ACM finishes like the one pictured are not outdoor rated.

We've had some white ACM panels start discoloring to a brownish tinge after 5 years or so.

Aaron Hunter

ACM backs are not UL compliant for use in an electrical enclosure, unless you buy acm that costs more than 063 aluminum in the first place. If you are buying channel letters with acm backs from a wholesaler, they likely are lying to the UL inspector, ask them for a breakdown of components for your own UL records and watch them panic.
Source: I make UL approved signs, and I'm cheap enough to want to use acm.
Out of curiosity, since I've never used ACM as channel letter backs (063 or 080), does ETL allow this?

enes sonmez

thanks for everyone but what if we use the ACM to make a 6ft x 30ft Aluminum box with 2" depth. I was gonna outsource this project but the guy told me that he can do it with ACM and the customer is nationwide franchised so did not want to take risk.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So you've never heard of ACM panels and you want to make a "box" out of it instead of 040? I'm loosing count of all the red flags here. Just keep outsourcing.

JBurton

Signtologist
Out of curiosity, since I've never used ACM as channel letter backs (063 or 080), does ETL allow this?
Couldn't say what ETL allows, but assuming they are as stringent as UL, they will likely not allow most ACM's to be used as an electrical enclosure. Even passing insulated secondary power through a piece of ACM requires a non conductive bushing.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
thanks for everyone but what if we use the ACM to make a 6ft x 30ft Aluminum box with 2" depth. I was gonna outsource this project but the guy told me that he can do it with ACM and the customer is nationwide franchised so did not want to take risk.
No, don't do that. ACM is a sign face panel for printing/ mounting vinyl to, you can even paint on it. It's durable, decorative, long lasting, and strong, but not "structure strength" strong. Plus with the plastic core, heat from any electronics & lighting could affect it, not worth all the risks. Use aluminum for the enclosure.