• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrobat page cropping

ChiknNutz

I use Acrobat Professional primarily for digital printing (and creating Estimates/Invoices). I admit I'm not a power user by any means, but I know my way around it okay. My question is about cropping pages. Say I have a file with extra white space and I want to trim away the white space. Well there is this glorious "Crop to object" that removes all extra white space bordering the object. Problem though, is that it doesn't seem to really remove it, just kinda pseudo-removes it because when I go to print it, the original size is still there. Also, I go back into the Crop feature, and the original page size still exists. So, is there a way to really crop the page size because I've pulled my hair out on this one. Thanks for any advice on the subject.

ChiknNutz

I realize that. That is the function in question. My point is that even though I've used that feature to do what I thought was physically crop the page, it in fact does not do as expected. It still retains the original page size and doesn't seem to actually crop the page as it leads you to believe. Somebody please try this and see what I mean.

ChiknNutz

Hmmm, not sure what's going on then if it does indeed crop the page. I wonder if I've hosed up some setting?!

ChiknNutz

Okay, try this: Go ahead and crop the page and Save As...
Open up the new file again, should show a cropped page. Okay, no go back into the Crop tool and choose the "Set to Zero" - BOOM...up comes the ORIGINAL page size! This is what I mean, and my RIP sees this same thing as well. See if it does the same for you.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Chris - I think that Acrobat doesn't actually "crop" the page. It would be more similiar to a clipping mask in Corel or Illustrator. It will look right in the program, but all the postscript for what is outside the mask (page size) is still there and your Rip is reading it. Crop a vector image in Acrobat then open it in Illustrator (or I am assuming it would work in Corel). Look at it in preview mode and you will see a bounding box around the cropped area, with the vector for everything else still there. So it doesn't crop the image, only the Acrobat page size.