• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrylic Adhesive Routing Issues

Jrod81

I figured I would post here to get some feedback on this issue I am having. First let me get some specs and info out of the way.

Vision 2550 Router
RPM 12000
Feed Rate .30
Bit: Onsrud 52-624
1/2'' cast acrylic
Letter size 2''w x 4''

The issue I am having is that once the piece is cut and is on the last pass once it finishes the letter does not stick to the backing board. It kicks up and hits the drill bit which we all know F's it all up. What I am currently doing is masking the back of the acrylic then spraying 3M High strength adhesive spray. I use a very liberal amount of spray to make sure it sticks. I even use rows of banner tape but on small acrylic cuts I have a hard time of it staying down once the last pass is complete. Having a vacuum table would be nice but is not a option at the moment.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Of course cutting larger letters or objects is a breeze.....its the small stuff that drives me nuts especially the "i"

J Hill Designs

Ive always just used banner tape.

what you CAN do is let it do most of the final pass, then mechanically fasten it to the the sacrificial board with screws/washers in the cut pass (I hope that makes sense) -- its my only workaround for difficult cuts and no vac hold-down

Here is feed rate for acrylic what I use. bit .25 single flute 24000rpm , 125 inch/min, last pass 0,05. Most of my acrylic has paper mask on. I usually cut it to paper. Paper is 0.015 thick.

neil_se

Before we got our laser we had a few solutions (which we still use for routing ACM lettering)

1. Two tabs per piece approx 1/3 the depth of the material that can be easily filed off later
2. Cut only to the depth of the protective sheet, or apply application tape if the sheet doesn't have one
3. Make the last pass cut a very small amount of material (eg. 0.1mm) so there's very little force being applied to the sheet by the bit
4. Outsource to a laser cutter and get on with something else :)