• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Actual font size setting

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I'm going to call it spoiled because of flexi ... but how do I make illustrator show the actual height of the typeface that doesn't require me to convert to curves? I've put up with this since cs2 ... can't stand it anymore.

Am I just missing a setting or option that is eluding me and no one has ever asked about on the history of the web?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
i tried the script and although the sizes are similar the results are not exact. If i want an exact height, I just draw a rectangle at the desired height and then adjust the cap height of the font until it matches up. Just make sure the rectangle is a contrasting color or an outline so you can see both at the same time

Every font is different in non-signdesign software. If you type out the exact same wording 10 times and change the 10 lines to 10 different fonts you will see the differences in each

I think the software designed for sign companies understands the importance of exact letter heights but this issue has always been a problem when using say Illustrator and you want exact letter heights

ddubia

The problem lies in the way Illustrator handles text in a formal manner. The bounding box around text includes the "em" and the "leading". This makes the bounding box extend above and below the text giving a false size in regards to the actual height of the type. I've searched the Adobe forums until I've found a solution to this issue.

First go to "Edit > Preferences > General and tick "Use Preview Bounds". You'll only need to do this once.

Choose your text. Then go to "Effects > Path > Outline Object" and that will put the bounding box tight around the text giving you a much more accurate measurement.

If you want to predetermine the text height type a letter such as a capital "M" or "I" in your chosen font. Then use your "Transform Pallette" to set the height of the letter, (example 3"). be sure to have height and width linked.

Now when you type, your letter height will be at your chosen measurement. Of course, the rounded letters like "C" and "O" will cause the height measurement to read slightly higher, but overall you know have a 3" letter height for all intents and purposes.

I used to either "convert to curves" and then resize or use the "box method", resizing to the box size, but I find the "Outline Object" method much easier and faster.

In addition, by using the "Outline Object" method, since the bounding box is tight around the text, it makes it easier to select nearby elements without inadvertently selecting the text which typically has a bounding box much higher and lower than the text itself.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I will try the outline object route, seems like the way to go for general work.

I ussually just do the box trick or convert to outlines, but both those are a hassle.

Like I said, I'm going to chalk it up to spoiled on sign software. I just wish I could get the point manipulation of draw, the pressure sensitivity and illustration capabilities of illustrator and the shear design power of flexi all in one ... I can wish, can't I?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
First go to "Edit > Preferences > General and tick "Use Preview Bounds". You'll only need to do this once.

This was the only step I needed to do. It's close enough to get me what I need before final tweaking. The create outlines destroys the editing ability (which is what I was trying to avoid)

Thanks. That will save me moocho time.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I've complained and made suggestions to both Adobe and Corel about this particular subject since the 1990's.

Honestly, I see no legitimate reason why Adobe and Corel can't include an option for sizing type objects according to cap height.

Sign making applications like Flexi aren't doing anything special to make something like 1" tall letters actually 1" tall. The software examines a given typeface's data -particularly its baseline and cap line settings. It uses that distance between the base line and cap line as a reference to not only make a 1" tall letter 1" tall, but also making line spacing adjustments, like if you want 3 lines of 1" characters with 1/2" of space between each line.

Selecting a capital letter and numerically sizing it is a kludge. The work-around only works accurately with sans-serif letters featuring at least some capital letters bottom and top parts that run truly parallel to the baseline. There are many typefaces that don't do that. Serif typefaces have parts the dip below the baseline and rise above the cap line. Script typefaces are all over the map in that regard.

If Adobe and Corel would at least offer the option to do with sign making apps have done for decades it would offer a greater level of consistency, especially when sign companies are receiving customer generated artwork.

If Adobe and Corel refuse to offer this kind of type function perhaps some third party might be able to do it. If I knew enough about computer programming and creating plug-ins I would certainly make such a plug-in.

Edit: At first I thought this wasn't showing up in Illustrator CC. I had the Photoshop CC window open instead.