• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ada................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping someone can point me in the correct direction on this one.

Just had a customer come in wanting signs for some apartment buildings. He knows he needs ADA type for stairwells, elevators, public bathrooms, electrical room and so forth. However, his architect told him, he doesn't need them for the individual room numbers. I told him, he does and started serching here using the 'search button' and found nothing on such a ruling. I need to point this guy in the right direction, which I don't care if he does or doesn't, but I want the buildings compliant, if need be. Other than opinions, I need actual reading or requirements in writing.

Personally, I always thought in any public area, you needed ADA tactile/braille signs for fountains, room numbers and whatever, just not a person's name.

:thankyou: Gino

Kwiksigns

wookie
This is the code in MD:

A. Dwelling Units.
(1) This section is not applicable to the dwelling units used on a transient basis and covered under §§B and C of thisregulation.
(2) New Construction—Covered Multifamily Dwellings. The design and construction of a newly constructedcovered multifamily dwelling shall be in accordance with FHAG and subsequent federal standards issued inreference to FHAA.
(3) Additions, Alterations, or Change of Use of Existing Buildings of Four or More Dwelling Units. The alteration,change of use, or addition to an existing residential building of four or more units shall comply with this Code asfollows:
(a) Dwelling units shall comply with this Code by either:
(i) Containing at least one dwelling unit for every 25 dwelling units, or fraction of dwelling units, in the structurethat is accessible and usable according to the requirements pertaining to dwelling units in ANSI A117.1-1986, withthe complying dwelling units proportionately distributed throughout all types of units, or
(ii) Having dwelling units at the accessible level comply with the standards under §A(2) of this regulation;
(b) If the addition or alteration involves common area facilities and parking, it shall be accessible in accordance withthe standards under §A(2) of this regulation.

So under certain circumstances, he may be right. He may not need them.

DirtyD

I'm hoping someone can point me in the correct direction on this one.

Just had a customer come in wanting signs for some apartment buildings. He knows he needs ADA type for stairwells, elevators, public bathrooms, electrical room and so forth. However, his architect told him, he doesn't need them for the individual room numbers. I told him, he does and started serching here using the 'search button' and found nothing on such a ruling. I need to point this guy in the right direction, which I don't care if he does or doesn't, but I want the buildings compliant, if need be. Other than opinions, I need actual reading or requirements in writing.

Personally, I always thought in any public area, you needed ADA tactile/braille signs for fountains, room numbers and whatever, just not a person's name.
:thankyou: Gino

Gino - This webpage is a pdf from Your state Page 84 is the signs and if its a permanent room than yes it does

J Hill Designs

i've done residential buildings in san francisco and private residential units don't need them.

California Building Code, Title 24, Part 2, Chapter 11, Section 1143A (attached) specifically 1143A.2

Attachments

• ADA_unit_paragraphs.jpg
    ADA_unit_paragraphs.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 78

moc_os

chapter 11B applies to Accessibility to Public Buildings‚ Public Accomodations‚ Commerical Buildings and Publicly Funded Housing

edit: i see it is you posted 11A. anyway it does say to comply to that section but that section doesn't explicitly say ADA signage is required. for example it doesn't say raised characters are required, it says WHEN raised characters are required.

letterman7

In Chester County at least, any occupied room in a building - apartment, commercial, whatever - needs to have compliant ADA signage. I've marked all "private" condos and apartments with an ADA suite number as required by both the builder and the local fire marshal. Personally, I err on the side of caution. There really isn't a good reason not to have compliant signage in an apartment situation.

ams

Virginia requires ADA/Braille on it as well. Not all places do it, but your suppose to.

J Hill Designs

"when signs identify permanent rooms they shall comply with 1148.5 (contrast) 1148.6 (size/proportion) 1148.8 (raised chars and pictorials) 1148.9 (braille)