• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Additional U-channel Support

1MoreSignGuy

Hello Y'all,

As the thread states I'm looking for some alternatives for U-channel support. I have a client who we installed some U-channels with a STIFF-PLATE and the hardware associated with it. People in their parking lot keep on running into the poll and bending/ultimately snapping the U-channel. When asked if they would pull their vehicles forward they were met with a stern "NO". I recommended that they install parking blocks but they aren't able to do that apparently. They want additional support to try and prevent this from happening but I'm stumped on what else we can do.
Have any of y'all ever come across this situation and what did you do to create that extra support? I appreciate any help.

TruckhittingUchannel.png

1MoreSignGuy

Curb stops. That's what they are for.
Maybe they don't want them for plowing? Can move the sign back too or spring loaded base
Definitely not plowing, were in PDX and this place shuts down when there's a mm of snow lmao. I'm trying to stay away from moving them back so we don't have holes in their concrete.

Do you have a source for the spring loaded base?

Gettin'By

Mark it as handicapped parking only? Put the sign on the existing U-channel.
Depending on how it works in your area, just have 'em towed off at owner's expense.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Mark it as handicapped parking only? Put the sign on the existing U-channel.
Depending on how it works in your area, just have 'em towed off at owner's expense.
but then people with a handicap permit will run into the pole. If they just say No parking period - they all get towed.

I was going to ask - what is the purpose of the pole? is there already a sign on it? If someone is parked there no one could see the sign anyway.

JBurton

Signtologist
preview_4a4f29f92c738290437c1338ae6d7f7f.jpeg

I was going to ask - what is the purpose of the pole?
This does seem like a critical piece of the puzzle, like, they've been asked to pull up so it doesn't get bent, but do they not care about their bumpers in the first place? Does the sign say a$$holes only?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So they back up, hit and bend the post and just put it in park and go shopping? Any time I've ever hit a curb or something in a parking lot I have to drive away and not come back for a week due to the embarrassment, I can't believe someone would hit it and think "this is fine"
Well, it is Portlandia after all. :big laugh:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
There was a handicap parking sign I hit at Aldi. Crushed my front bumper and pushed the sign over. It had a concrete bollard around the base. Before you all start blaming me, the sign itself was missing and I couldn't see the bollard in front of the truck hood...being 3' tall and all. Fact is, even the concrete bollard didn't hold up.
20201006_180421.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So they back up, hit and bend the post and just put it in park and go shopping? Any time I've ever hit a curb or something in a parking lot I have to drive away and not come back for a week due to the embarrassment, I can't believe someone would hit it and think "this is fine"
Yeah no shit. Do a quick look around to make sure nobody saw you and park a row over.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There was a handicap parking sign I hit at Aldi. Crushed my front bumper and pushed the sign over. It had a concrete bollard around the base. Before you all start blaming me, the sign itself was missing and I couldn't see the bollard in front of the truck hood...being 3' tall and all. Fact is, even the concrete bollard didn't hold up.
View attachment 169340
WOW !!! You're only three feet tall. How do you see over the steering wheel ?? Do you sit on a milk box with extensions on your shoes for the pedals ??

JBurton

Signtologist
WOW !!! You're only three feet tall. How do you see over the steering wheel ?? Do you sit on a milk box with extensions on your shoes for the pedals ??
I saw the low hanging fruit too...
That guy looks pretty pleased with himself.
You can tell it's his last day, director of safety, he always told steven to give more berth when taking this blind corner, and his comments about 'one of these days...' are finally validated. You can see the retirement cake dreams in the twinkle in his eye.
the sign itself was missing and I couldn't see the bollard in front of the truck hood...being 3' tall and all.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with this narrow post blending into the background, but this kinda validates all those whining about how tall stock truck hoods are getting and how impossible to see a kid could be. Ya gotta be more careful, what if that was one of those unaccompanied minors?