• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adhesion question

Tim J.

Folks, I'm sure this topic has been discussed at length before, but forgive me as I'm new on the forums. My question is: how is the best way to apply vinyl to glass? Seems like the majority of times, I simply have to "worry" the transfer tape off. I usually wet apply, with Rapid Tac, and I don't know if this is what I'm doing wrong, or if it's the transfer tape? (Conform 4075 RLA) I'm afraid to try to dry-stick, for fear of wrinkles and bubbles if it starts to not lay down straight. I clean the glass with IPA, usually twice, then w/Rapid Prep. Yesterday, I had to do a store front, temp was about 55 degrees, and I was in the shade. Warmed the glass w/heat gun, etc. Still had lotsa problems getting the stuff to turn loose from the paper. Sprayed Rapid Tac on top of the paper, squeeged the beJesus out of it, the whole bit. Help!

d fleming

Rapid tac 2 is what you need for glass if you are doing a wet install. I try to do dry apps on glass whenever I can, but when the situation calls for wet, this is what I use.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many people will do as you do and use the wet method to apply vinyl to glass. We do it dry or some tricky areas, we might use a very light mist of water or some kinda weaselp!ss.

If you are using the wet method, I would never use a heat gun of any sorts on glass.... you're really taking a chance of breakage. There are all kinds of ways of dealing with this. What we did years ago, was to just tell the customer, we'll be back tomorrow to remove the tape. Setting up in cooler weather with the help of wetness, just needs some time to dry real good. If it's far away, request your customer remove it on an almost 180º angle pulling very slowly or you'll have to charge them for a second trip out to take tape off a window. This is how and why we learned to do it dry.... out of necessity.

Tim J.

Was sorta thinking that was my problem. Using Rapid Tac, (and a bunch of it). Was not helping matters at all. Thanks for the advice!!

Rapid Tac 2 is far better than the original version in 50* temps. It can still be tricky though. For cold weather apps, I prefer to use an air release vinyl and apply dry.

S'N'S

With a wet install, squeegee the crap out of it to get as much liquid out as you can, give it half to an hour to dry, wet done the app tape and peel gently. Heat guns are not a good idea on shop windows, good way to break it.

sdodson1

If your in a rush use the RT2 as most have said. Then let dry a while and spray the mask with rapid tac and rub it in. it helps reduce the tack of the premask and it pulls less on the vinyl. We have done this for years in situations that require speed! Just my .02 worth

SIGNTIME

I strongly recommend learning to install dry, it makes everything easier and faster once you get the hang of it... I haven't done a wet app in a few years not even for etched glass.