• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Illustrator

Samy98

Hello,
What is the best way to learn Adobe Illustrator?getting a book or tutorials
As I' am an old timer i vould prefere a book.
Which book do you thing will work ?
FYI: I have Illustrator CS3 installed in my PC

Thank you

GypsyGraphics

YEARS ago, when i studied design at university, most all the instructors highly recommended the BIBLE books. I've purchase several versions over the years for PSD, ILLY & InDesign. I like having them around for reference but i find that i have much better recall with video instructions. I'm not even sure the Total Training dvd are still around, but i loved those... a bit pricey though.

I also like Lynda.com and it a great deal at $25 per month subscription, as you can watch tutorials on all the software as often as you want. They are constantly updating and add new lessons and a really nice thing is that you are not committed for any particular length of time. you can buy a month, cancel the next and start up again whenever you want.

Really though, i like having many forms of instructions at my disposal. You just never know who is going to present a particular feature in a way the best sinks in... sometime i'll read or watch a tutorial over and over and still be like
:help
... and then get the same info elsewhere and i think "well that makes perfect sense, why didn't the other guy just say that."

royster13

There are a ton of videos on YouTube.....I also got a good amount of use out of a year on Lynda.com...Now I just do a month a couple times a year during slack times.....And "cram"....

phototec

Total Training Videos...

I have been using illy since Illustrator 88, and have been to several full day seminars and have purchased several books, Adobe Classroom in a book, The Illustrator Bible, but overall I think that the Total Training Videos are by far the best investment and easiest to learn from. Books, just don't have the full experience like the videos, that while explaining "how", you actually see the key stroke and cursor movements on the screen.

When viewing the Total Training Videos, if you don't grasps something, you can pos the video, or replay a segment over and over until you get it. I would highly recommend the Total Training Videos, below is the link to FREE samples.

http://www.totaltraining.com/videos/freetutorials.asp

Often, you can find good deals on Total Training Videos on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Total-Training-...669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4153fba7d5

WildWestDesigns

I have used just about everything that has been mentioned with the exception of the total training videos. All of them are good and you'll find out that you'll get something a little different from each of them. One might present it in just that little different of a way that connects with you that the others didn't, even though they might have that same tip in there as well.

Of course, nothing brings it all home to you other then having to deal with the public and deadlines and stress to get it all done on time. That's where it all comes together(that's the hope anyway).