• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe / Pantone?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Got my fresh new computer up and running, got all of my programs settled in. Today I went to create some artwork in Illustrator using Pantone spot colors. The libraries are gone/replaced. Read up on the issue between the software companies, looked at the subscription based plugin. Only see bad reviews. Does it work ok for anyone here?

Johnny Best

Think was talked over about a month ago that Pantone no longer is in Illustrator. That is the way I understood the topic being discussed.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I don't rely on pantone colors enough to bother with the pantone subscription. It was handy when it was included, but I don't miss it.

Aaron Hunter

We've had to use a color bridge deck to get the correct CMYK builds after the divorce of Pantone/Adobe. Works ok as long as your deck is somewhat new.

jfiscus..Do you happen to have version 26 aka 2022 still? Pantone books are still available there.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
jfiscus said:
Got my fresh new computer up and running, got all of my programs settled in. Today I went to create some artwork in Illustrator using Pantone spot colors. The libraries are gone/replaced. Read up on the issue between the software companies, looked at the subscription based plugin. Only see bad reviews. Does it work ok for anyone here?

Here's one solution that works without having to buy a $180 per year subscription to Pantone Connect:

Install the previous version of Illustrator. Open up the Creative Cloud Desktop app, bring up the All Apps tab, at the Adobe Illustrator listing click on the three dots icon next to the "open" button. It will display a fly-out menu showing options, including "other versions." It lists all the previous v27 and v26 builds. I think v27.1.1 and earlier will include the Pantone spot color books.

Once you've installed an earlier version of Illustrator locate the ACB color book files related to Pantone. On the Windows platform the path is: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator\Presets\en_US\Swatches\Color Books. Make copies of those ACB files for safe keeping. Then place copies of those ACB files into the corresponding folder in the current version of Illustrator.

There's a couple drawbacks with this approach. One is you'll still get pestered by the application with warnings about Pantone colors when opening art with Pantone spot color fills. But they'll at least display in their proper color. The second drawback is any newer spot colors that aren't included in those existing ACB color book files won't be supported. They'll probably display in black.

I have a feeling Pantone will have to reverse course on this ploy with Adobe applications. So many people using Pantone spot color fills do so in more than just Adobe-branded applications. Pantone apparently doesn't have any solutions regarding that.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
People, in general, aren't happy with the divorce of Pantone from Adobe. I use Flexi to get my colors and even old files print fine and see the Pantone colors in these old files. I print on 2 different types of Mutoh printers and an HP 570 Latex. As for Notarealsignguys's remark that Corel must be highjacking the Pantone books, it isn't true. Just more people use Adobe than Corel and Adobe didn't want to pay the exorbitant fee Pantone noe wanted to charge to utilize their libraries in Adobe's software. Now they charge monthly for it, and a lot of people have just learned to work around it.

SlikGRFX

We run Onyx and it still recognises the Pantone spot colours even if the colours are not displayed correctly in Illustrator.
The Pantone Connect interface is clunky as hell. I hope they improve the functionality and sizing, then it will probably be worth paying for.