• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Shape & Adobe Illustrator Draw

phototec

This is the one time I wish I had an I phone and not my Android Galaxy.

See the workflow from iOS device, capturing shapes and turning them into vector graphics, and moving it all to Illustrator CC on the desktop. A true mobile-to-desktop workflow.

[video=youtube;d0LTzbksUiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LTzbksUiU[/video]

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yeah that's one thing I don't get. I know for a few years the Apple devices were the main game in the world for mobile "apps" so if you saw an ad or something from same place it was always touted that they also have a iphone app. However the mobile device market share is very heavily dominated by Android based devices with an over 80% market share compared to IOS based devices which has dropped to under 15%. Yet some companies still insist on making an IOS app their priority over an Android version. That boggles my mind as one would think a developer that is going to ultimately target both markets would of course go after the largest market first to get the most coverage and use of their app (and income if its a paid app).

Of course I also realize that companies want to target the most cool and trendy people who are the most likely to spend more money for something so targeting the Apple user base does have merit. And don't take that as Apple bashing or the wrong way. Its a simple fact that Apple device users do tend to me more trendy and spendy. It is what it is and if you are producing a product that is likely to appeal to that market then that is how you are going to target your development and marketing efforts. Plus getting something into the trendy crowds hands first helps set the trend since they do very often end up being the trend setters.

I've seen Adobe advertise the app though. Its been out for some time now and it does look like it would be very cool to have. I've also seen posts on the Adobe forums of users asking multiple times why has an Android version not been released. One thing that would still stop me though is if it required us to also use the CC versions of the desktop apps since we still have refused to rent our software on a monthly basis and are sitting at version 6 perpetual licenses (we have 4 licenses for the full Creative Suite Design Premium CS6). The monthly cost for that would be a fairly expensive forever ongoing monthly bill that I really do not want. I do realize though that its inevitable that we will all one day be forced into renting software though since in the software world SaaS is the new trend and every company that makes software is eventually going to get on that bandwagon. :(

rjssigns

What I learned from the video. Dude says "Yeah it's kinda crude, but that's the look I wanted". Ummm...more like the only "look" you're gonna get.

IMO I don't see it putting the Vector Doctor out of business anytime soon.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yeah I have played around with it and looked at videos of the results... there is nothing magical about this process. It basically makes your phone a scanner but in reality it is no better than the built in auto tracing software of Illustrator. You may as well just take a photo with your camera and then auto trace or hand trace the jpeg photo after you download it. This app allows you to skip a step but unless you are wanting crude results this will not help you with usable vectors

I foresee many customers supplying you with photos of art that have been run through this app thinking they are going to avoid art fees in doing so

Still no match for tracing by hand.

I often get ai or eps files with autotraced vectors. I will usually ask for the original art since the auto trace removes many details in the process.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Adobe is porting some of its CC mobile apps to Android. Shape CC, Brush CC, and Color CC are available in the Google Play store.

I'm not surprised iOS has so many more of these apps than Android. It's more difficult to develop for the Android platform because there are so many different devices with varied features, processors, screen resolutions, etc. Let's not forget about the various UI skins, carrier bloatware and other stuff that makes it difficult to roll out updates for Android. I still prefer the Android platform since I can manage my files, music and other data how I choose to do so rather than iTunes or iCloud telling me how I can do it. Android definitely has its pros and cons.

Shape CC seems kind of like a solution in search of a problem. It doesn't work any better than the built-in tracing tools within Illustrator -or even Photoshop for that matter (via converting selections into work paths). Vector tracing tools are in need of another technology leap, but I don't think priorities in graphics software development are going in that direction.

The mobile CC stuff that appeals to me most is the Adobe Ink & Slide devices for the iPad. It's too bad Ink & Slide don't work with Android devices. Adobe Draw CC and Sketch CC aren't available for Android yet either.