• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice with stocking router bits

DaveD

We just had our Summa F1612 standard router attachment installed. It came with one multipurpose bit (500-9852). I'm looking at Summa's "router bits overview" and I don't get a a lot of detail and guidance as to what bits I should have in stock. I'm not opposed to using other brands but as a newbie it will be nice to have the bits already in the GoProduce system while I'm learning. Along with bit recommendations I'd also like online resourced for products and education.

What we will be cutting most of the time: ACM 3mm and 6mm, PVC 3mm and 6mm, Lexan, acrylics.

Thank you for your help and guidance.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Here is what we use on our F1612 standard router:

3mm/6mm ACM: Onsrud 65-018

3mm/6mm Acrylic: Onsrud 66-086

3mm/6mm PVC.....I'll have to check next time I'm in the back shop

CanuckSigns

I get the bits for my summa here: https://www.betterbits.ca/home
They are great quality, and they are in metric sizes which is nice with the summa. We use their a relic bits for acrylic and it gives a great edge, we just use their multipourpose bits for acm, pvc, wood etc and the edges are great.

1 thing I've learned, don't mix bits for different materials, have 1 for acm, 1 for pvc etc, they last longer and cut better this way.

If you need a source for good quality knives for the summer let me know, I've been using a Chinese supplier and the quality is identical to summa, but instead of $100 for a heavy duty knife it's $5. You need to buy in bulk but it's worth it.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
If you need a source for good quality knives for the summer let me know, I've been using a Chinese supplier and the quality is identical to summa, but instead of $100 for a heavy duty knife it's $5. You need to buy in bulk but it's worth it.
Was actually thinking about this yesterday, will need to put an order in for some more HD/Single edge blades soon!

Flatbed Tools

Merchant Member
We just had our Summa F1612 standard router attachment installed. It came with one multipurpose bit (500-9852). I'm looking at Summa's "router bits overview" and I don't get a a lot of detail and guidance as to what bits I should have in stock. I'm not opposed to using other brands but as a newbie it will be nice to have the bits already in the GoProduce system while I'm learning. Along with bit recommendations I'd also like online resourced for products and education.

What we will be cutting most of the time: ACM 3mm and 6mm, PVC 3mm and 6mm, Lexan, acrylics.

Thank you for your help and guidance.
Hey Dave. Check out our site and we filter out by cutter and material to what we recommend. You can also send me a message or email at any time with questions. We are always expanding our database.
Justin

DaveD

Hey Dave. Check out our site and we filter out by cutter and material to what we recommend. You can also send me a message or email at any time with questions. We are always expanding our database.
Justin
What do you have for a V groove bit?

brdesign

https://www.toolstoday.com/ is another source for bits. When I used to work with an F1612 3mm and 6mm bits were used the most. I found the generic default feeds and speeds in the Go software to be a good starting point. The original software before the Summa Go was awful to work with.

jfiscus

Rap Master
FWIW, We bought the expensive bits for years, then switched over to buying most of our bits off of Amazon for a very small fraction of the price. Still stock & use a few expensive bits, but most of our regular everyday cutting is done with bits that cost around $2-3 each and work just as well.

netsol

FWIW, We bought the expensive bits for years, then switched over to buying most of our bits off of Amazon for a very small fraction of the price. Still stock & use a few expensive bits, but most of our regular everyday cutting is done with bits that cost around $2-3 each and work just as well.
is that really true? (I HOPE IT IS!)
not exactly the same situation, but, about 3-1/2 yrs ago, we bought some plywood and 2x4's and 3 avanti (some sort of house brand) circular saw blades at home depot
we had to make 2 8' rip cuts on one of the sheets (3/4" thick) and burned up 2 brand new blades.
much like using the ryobi branded drill bits, (oh, you need to drill MORE THAN ONE HOLE??)

i use expensive (?) router bits because i figure the router speeds will burn up a cheap bit BEFORE it touches he work

MikePro

+1 Flatbed Tools
only bits i've bought off amazon were disappointing unless they were amana/belin/onsrud resellers, however I still buy cheapo jeweler's bits (1/64, 1/32, 1/16) knowing that they always break easily regardless of brand.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Also, dial in your bit settings for EVERY different material and keep a spreadsheet of it.
That way you know what speeds everything runs best at on everything, this will save you wasted material, time, and bits.
We use a dry-erase board here to keep track of our settings.

Over time our routing speeds have at least quadrupled (if not more) from where they were originally with trying out new bits and adjusting/tweaking speeds for each material.