• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice

Grafix

based on the wrinkle you show in the pic i would say that's not acceptable for what it is but why couldn't you just patch the 20 or so small areas or at least the ones that look as the o ne you showed us.
on the rare occasion i have had something like that happen i have been able to just replace a small section or put a patch on that you don't even notice.
in the pic you show if you just printed that light red area with the wrinkle and either went over the top or cut it out and replaced it i bet wouldn't even be noticed but it would give your customer a quick and easy fix. is it perfect no but it should resolve the issue and would look better than that wrinkle
I've also done this and so long as you have nice sharp lines to cut to, it is not noticeable.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If it were I, I would absorb fault and replace these graphics. However, the client isn't wrong in this case, and that one image is a very noticeable crease/defect.
This seems like an influential client who can make negative waves if you walk away... and you don't really want to gain a reputation of tucking tail when things get tough.

The Mantra my team, our clients, and the vendors we align with follow is, "We all make mistakes; it's how we handle those mistakes that matter!". Sometimes it hurts but making it right by your client goes further than you can imagine.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't think I've ever ran away after fucking something up. I've talked about it, and thought about it. Those wrinkles are installer error, don't blame the drywall. 180C is great for wall wraps and conforms well. Only issue I see with drywall is if it's not level 5 you can tell once you put a wrap on it... but that doesn't give you wrinkles. If you (or whoever installed it) don't have the skill, then sub out to someone that does... lots of sign companies do it. If that was me, I would of apologized and done what I needed to do to make it right with the customer. If you can't sell the customer what he wants to buy, then they need all their $$ back.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I feel your pain, honestly you have an asshole customer. I screw up a lot and even point it out while I offer to redo it. Nobody ever cares. Right or wrong, none of us are perfect. You can't go tear it out without permission and reprinting miscellaneous panels might be a slippery slope of color matching and panel alignment. Sometimes giving stuff away is cheaper. Try to negotiate a discount and maybe fix the worst ones? If you want to be a dick, you can say you're gonna replace it all then take it down and never come back. It's a personal decision on how to handle it.
There's always debate on image resolution and the resounding opinion is that decals/signs aren't art, they're meant to be viewed from a distance. You can't see little screw ups from a distance either so wheres the line?

Notarealsignguy

I don't think I've ever ran away after ****ing something up. I've talked about it, and thought about it. Those wrinkles are installer error, don't blame the drywall. 180C is great for wall wraps and conforms well. Only issue I see with drywall is if it's not level 5 you can tell once you put a wrap on it... but that doesn't give you wrinkles. If you (or whoever installed it) don't have the skill, then sub out to someone that does... lots of sign companies do it. If that was me, I would of apologized and done what I needed to do to make it right with the customer. If you can't sell the customer what he wants to buy, then they need all their $$ back.
I've seen your crooked signs that you blamed on your phone. Come on Tex, squint your eyes and those wrinkles will disappear, like when you tell your customer your sign is straight, just tilt your head, you must have a short leg.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sounds like you might have already crossed over the line of no return with this customer and abandoning ship would be the best course of action.
Before giving up, you might bring a copy of the local sign code and show them the ADA compliance section.
Have the customer close his eyes, run his hands over the creases and ask him if he can 'see' the image.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Production standards vary by industry.

Museums demand very high quality printing and careful consideration of media and laminate. They are willing to pay a premium for that level of quality and service (which usually includes multiple consultations, print samples, and design considerations including viewing distance, lighting, cleaning and tactile interaction (touching). Assuming the graphic design was by others (likely in consultation with the fabricator, curator, and museum board), a project like this could range from $12,000 –$25,000 (and more for major installations).

Trade shows are a tier under in pricing, but usually require high quality printing with no blemishes. Here you are in the $7000 – $12,000 range.

A 120' x 8' for local retail or local event productions will price out at between $2000 and $5000 plus installation (coroplast, Ultraboard, PVC, or ACM panels UV printed or direct printed with top laminate).

I would think that inexpensive wall vinyl could be installed at the lower price range, but I would actually charge more for that than rigid panels. Control-Tac (air release) would be another option, but can be fussy to install and get lined up right. Again, I would likely use Ultraboard panels on a job like this.

The irony is that I would likely use UV direct printing on Ultraboard for both the museum quality job and the local event job. The end product would be identical. The difference in price is the level of service provided.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would take a good look at the blemishes and think of how you can replace these areas. Go back to the customer and offer to replace them cutting out areas or whatever you have to do - and offer a discount. If they refuse to pay you will they use the money to hire someone else? I highly doubt it. If you can calm down and go back at it with a positive attitude perhaps it will work out. You could point out that your normal lead time is 4 weeks and you completed this in 2 weeks. In hindsight, you should have declined the job due to your current work load, but you really wanted to help them out. It would be appreciated if they could kindly work with you to make this right.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I printed and installed and a 120'x8' wall mural (several sections) for a customer. The customer is refusing to pay because the job isn't to their standards. There were 20 or so small (2" ish) creases which I worked, heated and smoothed out but still there (Attached is an example of what I'm talking about). Also there were some slight (<1" near the ceiling) leveling issues which in my opinion were due to a drop ceiling, which I provided a solution to.

They are wanting the project redone. I told them they would need to find another vendor.

My question is, do I have the right to go back and remove the current mural (which apparently is good enough until they get someone lined up to redo it) or do I just need to chill out, take my lumps and move on?

Thanks!
Greg
I would remove that graphic.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I have to say, I agree with every comment.
I personally will not even start a job that big without a deposit to cover the majority of the work.
50% in most cases.
Everything goes in writing even after explaining face to face what could, might, may and will probably go wrong, and everyone gets a copy.
It's called CYA!
Once installed it's theirs.
Doesn't matter if it's a coroplast yard sign, it's theirs.
Even if you have walked away, you should eat a bite of crow, and go back and offer to patch it up as best as you can.
Save face and be the better man.
Even after a number of years, and even if you leave town and change your name, it will come back to haunt you if you don't at least attempt to straighten things out.
Good luck mate..

Notarealsignguy

Yeah, definitely don't walk away. If you can't make it right tell them it's no charge and ask them if they want you to remove it.
I'm always very up front with people about my skill level. Re-reading this, I personally wouldn't have taken this job because it is one of the few things that needs to be perfect. I probably would have stopped at the first screw up rather than continue moving forward

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
You can analyze this and put whatever spin on it til your totally drained, but the end result is..... you have over 20 mistakes. As mentioned, they have a right to inspect it. This probably cost several thousands of dollars, if not more. This is very closeup artwork. It's not really meant to be seen from a few hundred feet or even 50' away. Many people are gonna eventually see these mistakes and you're gonna be run outta town. Instead of getting upset and telling them to go elsewhere, I'd be looking for ways to fix it to their liking. Then, you'll be a cherished. workable vendor for them and will most likely lead to more work.

I agree with Gino here. Reputation is everything. It's the reason some shops will command $1500 for a job while others complain their customer's don't want to pay $500 for the same work.

---

A couple of years ago we quoted a $40,000 job for real-estate signs to be shipped all over the country. I wrote it up, had James look at it, and sent it off to the customer. I woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking I had done something wrong.

The next morning I reviewed the quote and realized that the material cost for the job alone would be $42,000. I didn't even cover material, let alone labor, ink, packaging.

I reached out to my customer, and asked if they had bid the job already. They said yes. My heart sank. I told them we would honor the price, but it was a one time deal of the century, and if they didn't get the work, no one would.

Fortunately, the job didn't come through, but I was willing to eat thousands of dollars to uphold our reputation, and I'd do it again. What else do we have?

Christian @ 2CT Media

I agree with Gino here. Reputation is everything. It's the reason some shops will command $1500 for a job while others complain their customer's don't want to pay $500 for the same work.

---

A couple of years ago we quoted a $40,000 job for real-estate signs to be shipped all over the country. I wrote it up, had James look at it, and sent it off to the customer. I woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking I had done something wrong.

The next morning I reviewed the quote and realized that the material cost for the job alone would be $42,000. I didn't even cover material, let alone labor, ink, packaging.

I reached out to my customer, and asked if they had bid the job already. They said yes. My heart sank. I told them we would honor the price, but it was a one time deal of the century, and if they didn't get the work, no one would.

Fortunately, the job didn't come through, but I was willing to eat thousands of dollars to uphold our reputation, and I'd do it again. What else do we have?
Sadly to admit, this has happened a few times to me and every time we ate it. The value was quickly realized as we gained substantial client's that after explaining the situation, more than made up for it with healthy orders that were profitable.

I had a customer some years ago come to me with his needs for signs and installations. Gave him the prices and he said that sounds fair. Did the job and he's been coming around ever since. Back after 2 or 3 jobs in the beginning days he explained to me that his old sign guy made a similar mistake and said he would eat the mistake. He said it scared him as he knew the guy was going to make it up somewhere so he left before he got shat upon. I guess it can go either way. For me mistakes happen and if I can eat it I will, but if not I'll have a talk with them and explain what happened. I'd rather be honest up front than have someone not believe in me. Reputation can really make a difference. Integrity and service are key factors in my line of work and in my personal life.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I agree with fixing it until they are happy with it. It's a great learning experience even though this one is a large fix. Anytime this has ever happened to me, first initial thought is to blame everything and everyone else but after a short reflection I usually realize that, as particular as some customers can be, they have a right to be and it really makes us better installers. I have a love/hate relationship with my particular customers but I have a ton of them and I think that says a lot.