• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advise on horrible customer

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I said the same thing about others when they have half their revenue come from one client. I don't think anyone sets out to choose that. Mine started out as a random order, then they were 20% of my sales...this year they are just over 50%. It just kind of happens. Sure it's a little risky having that many eggs in one basket, but you have some pretty dependable income, dealing with people you are familiar with and who are familiar with you. If my large client jumped ship, it wouldn't put me in a bind because their 50% is OVER what I would normally do. If one client comprises a large amount of you revenue, you need to have a contingency plan if you loose them. Think twice about investing in things that you wouldn't be able to afford if they leave.

Inks

For me, I wouldn't pussy-foot around. None of this I feel..... we want to or any other throwing yur hands up in the air and letting him be in charge. Take the bull by the horns and TELL him we give you this !! We give you that !!

If someone takes someone out for lunch, it better be him taking you out. He's the one who needs to apologize, not you. One doesn't patronize bad behavior from a kid, why would you from a customer ??

You really need to look at the last year or two of business and be brutally honest and see if you have been taking him for granted. If that's the case, still chew his behind out for being harsh..............
It is not about patronizing bad behavior its about modifying it to your advantage. Maybe this person just needs to be educated a bit about what the process really is. Why burn the bridge when the fence may be able to be mended and business may even grow and become pleasurable. Tacking a bully by being a bully solves nothing.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Thanks you all are awesome and there's a lot of great advise to wrap my head around. This is definitely a situation where he's more than likely never heard the word "no" or "ill get to it as soon as I can". I do not doubt our service but things have taken a bit longer in the design department due to an overload of work lately but they are always our first priority. The designs requested were simple decal placement and for one of them, I think he thought they should be more extravagant. This was not communicated to me initially, and after the first draft he said "pull your head out of your ass". FIRST DRAFT!
Problem is, too many cooks in the kitchen, none of them care except for the head chef and he cannot communicate properly to the other cooks to get the proper order out and somehow it ends up the servers problem.

I called today and met with both he and his brother (one of the cooks that could care less). I did not tell him how unprofessional he was, although I wanted to. I asked for better communication and clarification. Walked through all of the work that we should expect in the coming weeks, to please provide an proper notification for installs and what he's looking for in the designs and layouts.
I do know that this will end in divorce at some point and I should probably hold out on the new Lamborghini for now. Lol!

Inks

Thanks you all are awesome and there's a lot of great advise to wrap my head around. This is definitely a situation where he's more than likely never heard the word "no" or "ill get to it as soon as I can". I do not doubt our service but things have taken a bit longer in the design department due to an overload of work lately but they are always our first priority. The designs requested were simple decal placement and for one of them, I think he thought they should be more extravagant. This was not communicated to me initially, and after the first draft he said "pull your head out of your ***". FIRST DRAFT!
Problem is, too many cooks in the kitchen, none of them care except for the head chef and he cannot communicate properly to the other cooks to get the proper order out and somehow it ends up the servers problem.

I called today and met with both he and his brother (one of the cooks that could care less). I did not tell him how unprofessional he was, although I wanted to. I asked for better communication and clarification. Walked through all of the work that we should expect in the coming weeks, to please provide an proper notification for installs and what he's looking for in the designs and layouts.
I do know that this will end in divorce at some point and I should probably hold out on the new Lamborghini for now
Looks like you have done what you can from your end. I hope it all works out for you one way or the other.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Thanks you all are awesome and there's a lot of great advise to wrap my head around. This is definitely a situation where he's more than likely never heard the word "no" or "ill get to it as soon as I can". I do not doubt our service but things have taken a bit longer in the design department due to an overload of work lately but they are always our first priority. The designs requested were simple decal placement and for one of them, I think he thought they should be more extravagant. This was not communicated to me initially, and after the first draft he said "pull your head out of your ***". FIRST DRAFT!

I do know that this will end in divorce at some point and I should probably hold out on the new Lamborghini for now. Lol!
So on the other hand, you do admit that there are problems on your end? It is possible that what you perceive as someone that doesn't care may actually be someone that is very busy. They probably expect that they can delegate a task, like a sign, to a vendor and not be bothered with a bunch of back and forth. Personally, I find that there are 2 types of vendors, 1 that sells you exactly what you ask for and won't put a bit of effort into it and the other that's a good partner that can anticipate what you need and provides you with turn key solutions.
I worked for a guy that used to get mad and say, I don't have time for this, you ask too many questions. I thought he was a dick for that back then but now I get it.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
So on the other hand, you do admit that there are problems on your end? It is possible that what you perceive as someone that doesn't care may actually be someone that is very busy. They probably expect that they can delegate a task, like a sign, to a vendor and not be bothered with a bunch of back and forth. Personally, I find that there are 2 types of vendors, 1 that sells you exactly what you ask for and won't put a bit of effort into it and the other that's a good partner that can anticipate what you need and provides you with turn key solutions.
I worked for a guy that used to get mad and say, I don't have time for this, you ask too many questions. I thought he was a dick for that back then but now I get it.
I am always willing to accept that I could have done something differently to result in a more positive outcome which is why I rarely ever act on impulse. I usually take a deep breath, step back and try to rationalize the situation and see if there's some truth to a customers negative reaction regardless of how unprofessional it is. In this case, I know there is more in his life that is causing him to react the way he does.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It is not about patronizing bad behavior its about modifying it to your advantage. Maybe this person just needs to be educated a bit about what the process really is. Why burn the bridge when the fence may be able to be mended and business may even grow and become pleasurable. Tacking a bully by being a bully solves nothing.

No one, least not me, said anything about being a bully on one side or the other. Taking a bull by the horns is a phrase/idiom for taking charge in a rather bad situation. I'm not about deceiving anyone when it comes to business. It either is or it isn't. You make money or you don't. You do not play head games and make someone feel one way, when you are trying to fool them into something else. There are no burning bridges, but making stronger connections when you make some jerk decide one way or the other how he will conduct business in the future. What has been a good ride for 10 years has increasingly gone south with the new kid taking charge. Ya don't waste time, money or food and take someone out to lunch on a loser. Playing your head games may work, but I'd rather be cultivating more clients and securing my position with 'like-minded' people.

Someone mentioned earlier, there're a lotta customers out there and those are the ones you wanna strive for..... not some spoiled brat. He'll either come around to his senses, when his other teammates gang up on him or just go down burning, but for now, it's time for you to take the high road and be a professional. Now, get to work.

Johnny Best

Or, change your name of your company to HUMA, HeadUpMyAss sign company.
Also tell him that the only way you can talk to him.

Attachments

• HUMA signs.jpg
    HUMA signs.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 100

2B

Does he have a Boss? is the person you started this relationship with still there?
While he is "currently" the point of contact, see if there is someone else to deal with. schedule a meeting with his boss, print out the correspondences and ask them how THEY would handle this situation and THEY would like the future interactions to be done.

Several years ago we were doing an installation and while on location the shift supervisor for the company was making off-colored comments about 2 of our crew members.
we initiated a meeting with the higher-ups, it turned into a situation of "he said / they said" and while they claimed they handled this matter "internally", we have had ZERO orders from them as a customer since the meeting.

That being said, we have since started recording (video and audio) ALL installations.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I would not go over someone's head, especially within family, unless you want to make that customer go away. That's one you're not gonna win. If you have an issue with someone, deal with that person. If you can't resolve it then cut ties. If you rat someone out, the relationship moving forward will be a disaster because that person will be gunning for you

Inks

No one, least not me, said anything about being a bully on one side or the other. Taking a bull by the horns is a phrase/idiom for taking charge in a rather bad situation. I'm not about deceiving anyone when it comes to business. It either is or it isn't. You make money or you don't. You do not play head games and make someone feel one way, when you are trying to fool them into something else. There are no burning bridges, but making stronger connections when you make some jerk decide one way or the other how he will conduct business in the future. What has been a good ride for 10 years has increasingly gone south with the new kid taking charge. Ya don't waste time, money or food and take someone out to lunch on a loser. Playing your head games may work, but I'd rather be cultivating more clients and securing my position with 'like-minded' people.

Someone mentioned earlier, there're a lotta customers out there and those are the ones you wanna strive for..... not some spoiled brat. He'll either come around to his senses, when his other teammates gang up on him or just go down burning, but for now, it's time for you to take the high road and be a professional. Now, get to work.
Thanks for the lesson but I like to approach things in a positive manner if possible. Taking a negative posture right off the bat will not move the ball forward. The OP visited the customer and opened the lines of communication and let him know how they work. It will either work or it wont. There are many ways to skin the cat and you are welcome to your methods as I am mine. Referencing the customer as a jerk and dominating the future process is not an attempt to partner.

Why is trying to open up the line of communication a head game or deceiving? Who are you to decide the one and only approach to solving the issue of a challenging customer? Your response is a valid as anyone's but not the only way to a solution, its one of the ways.

Last edited:

2B

Like body cam style? I can't imagine my guys being super excited about this... Hell they barely call in when they get to site! I'm about to mount airtags to the steering wheels so I can stalk the trucks.

We already GPS the vehicles

No, we do auto-tracking style, where set up the cameras at key areas to record what we are doing. https://horseyhooves.com/auto-follow-cameras/
At first, they were reluctant, but after the video saved their @$$ on a damage claim it is now the 1st thing they load and ensure is recording as soon as they arrive

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmmmm......... now that's all I see.

Good grief, now we need a new transgender card for those with both a bird and something else for parents...... or were you found/hatched under a rock ??

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
This fellow may be 50% of your scene but does he know that? If he does, you're screwed. If he doesn't, there's room for play. How do you find this out? Good question, I have no idea.