• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advise Please Roland vs Mimaki

switch

Good Day all,

Firstly thank you for such a great resource!

I have probably one of the biggest decisions to make and would like to get your thoughts.

After months of research I finally decided to get a digital printer for my sign shop.
I settled on the new Roland XJ-640 and it comes in at around $35k.

Alls good and well you say?

Well as I opened up the latest edition of Image Magazine (Local Trade Magazine) to my amazement I found a special offer on a Mimaki JV3 160SP + CG-160FX cutter for $35k Two Machines for the same price as the Roland!

I currently do not have the ability to contour cut with my cheap 1300mm cutter, I would though love the facility!

My plan originally was to just focus on banners, wraps, flags etc until I could afford a graphtec cutter enabling me to contour cut.
I looked at the print and cut machines but decided against them due to my work load and the versatility in having two machines is a winner for me.

I digress, I suppose my question is really Mimaki vs Roland obviously the Mimaki deal is incredible value for money but I have been burnt in the passed with cheap equipment and learned the hard way, You GET what you PAY for!

I'm really looking for superb print quality for both indoor and outdoor applications which seen the Roland in action impressed me.

After sales support is important to me and locally Roland would be better then Mimaki but still thats great value.
From ready to place an order on the Roland this week to maybe hold off a bit is frustrating in a good way :)

Any advise or passed experiences with either Roland or Mimaki would be greatly appreciated!

Kindest Regards,

Michael

switch

Thanks for that, there was loads of good info from the search :)

Much appreciated!

I got a call from the HP dealer here saying that they will match the Mimaki price of AU$ 35K for a HP 8000 and include a summa cutter, RIP etc...

Back to the drawing board for now... its a big decision and we want to get it right!

Thanks again for the help...

Neil

G'day Michael,
I too saw the ad for the Mimaki's in the Image Mag.
That's a good deal for sure. They're running them out now as there's a new machine out - JV33 using the new larger head as used in the JV5.

Personally I am more interested in the JV3 130SP bundle which is AU$30K. Prints onto 1370 wide media which is the most common size and will fit into the cutter.

And now you say you can get the HP8000 with Summa cutter for $35k too? Hmmm, interesting. Might have to look into that too. Is that from Anitech?

Urban Image

I would pick the Mimaki over the HP 8000 without any hesitation. I've worked with both and seriously did not like the HP 8000 or the HP 9000. They are both absolute crap, if you ask me. Way over priced and outdated. The JV3 is a little on the older side but it is staying popular for good reason. It is a well rounded machine.

I've never used or seen the XJ-640.

iSign

I own a 63" Mimaki JV3 160SP and the 63" Mimaki cutter (CG130?)

I've had them 2 years and consider them the best quality you can buy.

I've always said though, that I really think all the best names in printers will do a good job. I think service after the sale is worth far far more then the difference in any 2 good printers.

You really can't go wrong with evaluating the Mimaki on quality, but if service is going to be better, closer, cheaper and faster on the roland... then I think that is what you want.

iSign

but if service is going to be better, closer, cheaper and faster on the roland... then I think that is what you want.

...actually let me rephrase that... forget closer, cheaper, faster...

What I really mean is better. You said it first, and I believed it, so if the service is really better, then that is worth a lot!

I'm in Hawaii & I could have bought my Mimaki in Hawaii, but I bought mine from Advantage Sign Supply, out of Grand Rapids Michigan. I ship all my media all the way from the midwest too, because they have never let me down, and in fact stepped up and taken such good care of me on the service-after-the-sale department that I never shop their prices & have been extremely happy with our business together.

I'm sure they can sell you a printer too, although I don't know if they can match the deals you've seen elsewhere, I'd bet they can, as they are a very large company.

Do yourself a favor and give Matt Molenbeek a call at the Grand Rapids headquarters. He handles the "outer regions" and has quite a bit of experience with arranging overseas shipping AND technical support.

http://advantagesignsupply.com/

petepaz

we looked at both machines and ended up with 2 versa camms
1-30" and bought the 54" 6 months later
the main reason we went with the roland was because of the print cut together
but the mimaki mught be better printer only because of white and clear options for the ink

eforer

If you have the room to provide some serious ventilation, Mimaki hands down. The only reason the Mimaki is cheaper than the roland at this stage in the game is because of the impending release of the JV-33. Its not a low budget option, just a great deal. IMO a superior machine. One of the biggest advantages in my book is real solvent inks. In my experience, working with eco-sol is pretty frustrating, real solvent inks stick to everything, dry faster and don't require as much babying/babysitting. In addition, the entire Mimaki ink system is setup to take nasty solvent inks that are much more aggressive than OEM, this gives you alot of flexibility when looking into after market ink solutions (ie bulk). We use triangle inks with our 160s and love them. I also think that the finecut/mimaki cutter combo is the best option going for contour cutting. The cutter is extremely high quality easily as nice as a graphtec or summa, and the finecut software makes contour cutting idiot proof.

Just a quick FYI, the whole white ink on clear thing is a disaster, while its possible, unless you plan on doing white on clear every day, its really a bad idea. You'll be flushing tons of white ink down your waste container every time the machine spits to clean itself.

iSign

Just a quick FYI, the whole white ink on clear thing is a disaster, while its possible, unless you plan on doing white on clear every day, its really a bad idea. You'll be flushing tons of white ink down your waste container every time the machine spits to clean itself.

...and, just like with a 6 color lc/lm set-up, the trade off is all your cmyk work printing twice as slow... so again, if the lc/lm is in demand every day for fine art reproduction or some such requirements... than that's one thing... but if you have white, and/or 6 color set-ups just for occassional use... printing all your cmyk work twice as slow is not a worthwhile sacrifice.

Neil

Yep, totally agree that 2x CMYK would be the way to go. In fact it ships with 8x 440cc carts (CMYK TS - True Solvent).
Also Take up reel, drying fans, fume enclosure AND carbon air filter.
As well as Raster Link Pro2 and Fine Cut.

AU$30k = approx US$27k.

TheSnowman

I'm in Hawaii & I could have bought my Mimaki in Hawaii, but I bought mine from Advantage Sign Supply, out of Grand Rapids Michigan. I ship all my media all the way from the midwest too, because they have never let me down, and in fact stepped up and taken such good care of me on the service-after-the-sale department that I never shop their prices & have been extremely happy with our business together.

I'm sure they can sell you a printer too, although I don't know if they can match the deals you've seen elsewhere, I'd bet they can, as they are a very large company.

Do yourself a favor and give Matt Molenbeek a call at the Grand Rapids headquarters. He handles the "outer regions" and has quite a bit of experience with arranging overseas shipping AND technical support.

http://advantagesignsupply.com/

AMEN to that. Advantage is the best HANDS DOWN on tech support, and teaching you and just taking care of you all around. I haven't delt w/ Matt, but our company has delt w/ the same guy (Rick Reigler) there since we bought our first vinyl cutter back in 95. GREAT company.

Donny7833

Urban Image:

I can't disagree with you more. I have a JV3 and an HP 8000 and find myself turning more and more to the 8000. I would hardly call the HP crap. Running the 2 machines side by side is the only way to make a fair judgement. The 8000 is a very capable machine IMHO.

Jackpine

You will get more production with a printer and a separate cutter. I have a Mutoh but with the choices you gave.....Mimaki combo.

Roland VS 640

We are planning on purchasing the new VS 640 versaCAMM, 8 color, white and metallic ink, we are excited, we have the Roland SP 300V 30 inch machine, its great we were going to go with the 2 machines print then cut, glad I bought a Roland. Roland has stood behind me fixed any problems and took great care of me, they are always there when you need them, 6 to 8 week wait on our new VS 640 VersaCAMM We are sold on Roland.....