• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adwords: Money for nothing or works?

ProWraps

sorry dan, but your explanation doesnt take into account if a customer in bermuda types in "signs". without adwords, your client would not come up.

adwords is geotargetted. the organic is not. he can be #1 all day long under "bermuda sign shop" but unless someone in bermuda types that in, which more often than not they dont, he will not come up without an adwords ad.

this is VERY important for people to understand.

Dan Antonelli

that awful template website?? yeah....great job:clapping:

Ha, thats funny. Its a custom design 100%. We also designed their logo. Never used a template, ever, and we've done about 300 sites.

That 'awful' site paid for itself in 2 months, and has been up for about 5 years. And brings in a ton a work. Guess it's working awfully good for him.

It's all good, just no reason to derail the conversation into something personal. I'm not trolling for work here, just sharing some of experiences and successes. It's fine if you want to disagree.

Last edited:

Dan Antonelli

sorry dan, but your explanation doesnt take into account if a customer in bermuda types in "signs". without adwords, your client would not come up.

adwords is geotargetted. the organic is not. he can be #1 all day long under "bermuda sign shop" but unless someone in bermuda types that in, which more often than not they dont, he will not come up without an adwords ad.

this is VERY important for people to understand.

Yes, very true. However, most people do not type in generic phrases in the hopes of locating a local, region-specific contractor.

Brands Imaging

dan...

i'm sorry, i shouldnt take this to a personal level, however i have seen that site for quite some time and it never entered the rankings untill recently.

signmeup

I typed "sign" into google and this came up second. (Wiki was first) http://www.signmedia.ca/smc/index.php
I looked at the source code. I don't see anything under meta tags except "sign, signage". There's no description, no h1,2,3...nothing. What gives? How does this rank first out of 1,800,000,000 listings? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here. Also if you type "sign" into your browser do you get the same results I get or is it weighted regionally?

CentralSigns

Hey Dan. If you know so much about sign rankings why don't you share with some of your less learned sign 101 colleges. I'm sure other small sign companies could use some help with this. Seems like you just want to brag about how good you are and not really help us with anything usefull. Sorry but thats how I feel.:Oops:.

weaselboogie

Hey Dan. If you know so much about sign rankings why don't you share with some of your less learned sign 101 colleges. I'm sure other small sign companies could use some help with this. Seems like you just want to brag about how good you are and not really help us with anything usefull. Sorry but thats how I feel.:Oops:.

And then we can all be ranked number #1?:rolleyes:

CentralSigns

My point was that we offer help for most things here, and I offer up what I know to help others. I think that is what this site is all about. Don't you? I think bragging should be left out of the forums. Thats all !

CES020

Why would he tell everyone how it makes a living? If you are in California and I'm in South Dakota and you help me, chances are, you haven't created a competitor that will cost you money or take work from you. However, if a sign shop opened next door to you, I doubt you'd be as "free" with the information as you would be with someone that's not a threat.

However, in SEO, and SEM, if you teach someone the tricks of the trade, they can almost immediately use that information against you or your client base. If Dan makes a living getting people to the top of the list, then tells 5,000 people how to do it themselves, then how will he be able to offer than service to his customers in the future?

There's more than enough free information online for SEO and SEM. Google it and go learn it yourself. Dan has no obligation to teach us for free. We're damn lucky that he shares the information he does share.

I'm thankful for that.

weaselboogie

Merchant members are not just for wholesale printing only. Dan does websites... Hire him to get yours at the top of the list.

Dan Antonelli

Thus lies the problem in me responding too much here; either I'm bragging, or I'm trolling. If I say hire a professional, that's self serving (I don't care if it's me or not, just hire a professional and understand what you are buying). If I give up everything I've learned about SEO over the last 10 years, and 300+ sites later, that might not be in my best interest either.

You must not know really that much about me, or my reputation to suggest I am here to brag. Quite the contrary, and if you look through my posts, I think you might find otherwise. That's like saying I write for SignCraft for the money.

Here's 10 years of free advice, strategy and advice on marketing your sign shop - and yes, a few articles on sign shop web design. Download them, and read up on some shared experience and tips I've gleaned over the years: http://www.graphicd-signs.com/html/articles.htm

This post was originally about Adwords. And I responding with my opinion on it, and backed it up with examples of guys we saved a ton of money on, and achieved better results. When I see guys relying on Adwords because their current site is poorly optimized, it does make me wonder - either why the person they hired didn't do ANY SEO, or why they thought they could take the task of doing a good job of SEO on their self-built site. That advice still stands. I have clients who were spending $3-4k a month on adwords, and after their site was redesigned and better optimized, they were able to easily cut the budget by 85%, and pay for the site within a few months.

That's really all I'm saying - consider what you get for the money - regardless of who you choose to build your site - and pay special attention to that firm's SEO success as you evaluate your decision.

If that advice, backed with over a decade of experience is not useful or relevant to you and your situation, that's okay too. Part of learning is recognizing your own limitations, and seeking those who are better qualified than yourself. The first step is sometimes means checking your ego at the door, and listening. As a general rule, we work best with clients who recognize this simple fact, same as your best clients do when they tell you to design their sign, since you are the professional.

I know how to add, but I'll be damned if I'm going to attempt filing my corporate returns. That's what an accountant does.

Like I said earlier though - it's all good. :)

Last edited:

Bly

I recently paid someone to design a template for my website. I then filled in content, did a bit of research - Google is quite helpful with tips on how to make your site successful with it's search engine - and now using the term "large format printing sydney" I'm coming high up on page two. Not bad for a large city with plenty of competition in my opinion.
No paying professionals, adwords or use of witchcraft. I also think search results are more valuable than placed advertisements as a result of adwords.
Note this wasn't the first site I put together for my business but with a bit of homework any of you people can have similar results.

ProWraps

top of page two might as well be bottom of page 100. adwords would deffinately help you.

we are top of page one and top of the local "one box". adwords is still my main traffic generator.

CentralSigns

Thanks ProWraps for the info. I'll take your advice. I'll try $50 or so a month to start, as well as filling in all my all the seo words I can on my own for each page. Biggest problem is figuring out how to get search engines to recognise me. Hope adwords helps.

I'm just a small sign shop and can afford a little money for advertising. Trying to figure it all out is difficult. I didn't ask for the top secret info on how to succeed with a web site, just a point in the right direction or a few ideas one could say. Spending several thousand a month on adwords like Dan's customers, not an option. As for paying for this service from a big ad company I really don't make enough to afford this kind of help or I would.

Defintly a hot subject. But kind of a split decision.

jasonx

Thanks ProWraps for the info. I'll take your advice. I'll try $50 or so a month to start, as well as filling in all my all the seo words I can on my own for each page. Biggest problem is figuring out how to get search engines to recognise me. Hope adwords helps.

I'm just a small sign shop and can afford a little money for advertising. Trying to figure it all out is difficult. I didn't ask for the top secret info on how to succeed with a web site, just a point in the right direction or a few ideas one could say. Spending several thousand a month on adwords like Dan's customers, not an option. As for paying for this service from a big ad company I really don't make enough to afford this kind of help or I would.

Defintly a hot subject. But kind of a split decision.

Question:

If you spend $1 on adwords and got $100 from sales from that how much would you spend on adwords?

CentralSigns

If I spent $1 on adwords and made $100. If I plann to spend $50 on adwords and made $5000, I'd spend more. Then I'd try more to figure more out for myself. What would you do jasonx.