• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aftermarket Plotter Blades

Goatshaver

Just wondering who y'all use for your plotter blades. I'm using a Graphtec FC9000 and have been having a hard time getting blades from Clean Cut. Just looking for other options just in case I'm in need of blades before they can fill my order. I know the obvious place is from Graphtec themselves but I'm looking for aftermarket options as well.

mfatty500

I too, use the blades that victor has link to, they are cheap, and do the job, I a lot of Glitter HTV, and these last longer than a clean cut blade, (I've never had good luck with clean cut blades).

Goatshaver

I get them on amazon, works great

Almost no difference from the expensive OEM blades. We can only sometimes tell a difference on very detailed heat transfer material. Other than that there is no reason to pay 15x for OEM blades
I'll give them a shot. I use their 60 deg blades for through cuts with an aftermarket holder and I occasionally get some blades that are just dull right out of the box, but for that price I can live with that. Would prefer to support a US company but if I can't get blades I'll have to go with the place where I can get them.

victor bogdanov

I'll give them a shot. I use their 60 deg blades for through cuts with an aftermarket holder and I occasionally get some blades that are just dull right out of the box, but for that price I can live with that. Would prefer to support a US company but if I can't get blades I'll have to go with the place where I can get them.
clean cut isn't a US company either

victor bogdanov

Sure they are, made in Iowa.
hmm

CleanCut Blades

Unit 2, Block A
Westpark 26
Wellington
Somerset
TA21 9FH
United Kingdom

I don't see any Made in USA on that site you posted, usually that would be bold and center

Last edited:

Goatshaver

There are two different sites. Cleancutblade.com and Cleancutblades.com only difference is an S.
The UK site states anyone purchasing blades for the US are made in the US so I'm not sure if they are related or not.
Untitled-1.png

victor bogdanov

One other difference I have noticed between OEM blades and the cheap chinese blades is the OEM blades tend to chip at the tip at the end of life, they'll cut great until they chip mid job and then don't cut at all. The chinese blades tend to get duller and duller without tip chipping so cutting performance goes down at end of life of the blade but it still cuts good enough to not ruin a job

ProColorGraphics

You get Summa ones? Can you share a quantity and price?
I will try to look up what I got. I get a quantity of like 20 of each blade. I get 6 or so different ones for my Summa F. So far, they all have worked great. Even if they "dull" or break twice as often, I am still WAY ahead of OEM price wise.

Saturn

Aging Member
Yeah, this is the only thing about Graphtec that I envy. I love my Summa 45° blades, but they're about $60-65 each.... I have yet to find a reliable resource for specifically 45° degree tangential Summa blades. China-Oyea sounds promising, but we'll see...

Would love some magical way to sharpen them in-house so I could get a couple uses out of each one.

One other difference I have noticed between OEM blades and the cheap chinese blades is the OEM blades tend to chip at the tip at the end of life, they'll cut great until they chip mid job and then don't cut at all. The chinese blades tend to get duller and duller without tip chipping so cutting performance goes down at end of life of the blade but it still cuts good enough to not ruin a job
Great observation. I use the Summa OEM blades and that's usually how they fail, the tip chips. Can be the first day, or two months in. When a blade really kicks ass, is when is slowly wears down instead of that hard failure. Perhaps an unintended and unexpected "feature" of the Chinese ones is using a softer metal.

mfatty500

If my memory recalls, I talked to the owner a few years back about his blades breaking the tip off, he told me he used a different hardness of steel, I cut a lot of glitter HTV, and they just would not hold up, they would be junk in a couple of days, that's when I started using those cheaper ones from Amazon.

victor bogdanov

If my memory recalls, I talked to the owner a few years back about his blades breaking the tip off, he told me he used a different hardness of steel, I cut a lot of glitter HTV, and they just would not hold up, they would be junk in a couple of days, that's when I started using those cheaper ones from Amazon.
The worst part about the oem blades is the tip breaking, 10% of the blades would break on day 1 for me when I had summa t series. Left a comment about it on summa reviews and that was deleted pretty fast. Blades are way too expensive for them to break that fast