• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Age vs. Communication Methods

Marlene

I'm an old person and I like e-mails rather than phone calls. like to do a face to face for first meeting and then, all e-mails. reason being there's a written chain of conversations. no "but you said" when you can refer them back to what you said in writing. have used this several times when customer claimed something wasn't as requested. you get an quick reference to go to. Phone calls, not a chance of that.

DesireeM

I prefer emails for the most part, mainly because it can be done at each person's convenience. Phone calls do interrupt whatever the other person is doing at the time, but they are necessary in certain situations. There are lots of times that a quick 5 minute phone conversation can replace a week's worth of back and forth emails...especially when dealing with people who don't understand the concept of answering ALL the questions asked, not just replying with "YES".

Late 20's here....and I completely agree with this. I would say phone calls are my least favorite form of communication because they interrupt my work flow. Sometimes though you need to speak to someone directly to get your point across properly so you have to be flexible.

Following any verbal conversation I always insist on a emailed or faxed transcript of the conversation so that the information is documented and can be referred to later. If the person is not comfortable typing it all out I'll usually send the email or fax to them saying "As per our conversation earlier here is an outline of the __________we discussed. Please reply with approval if it is all correct."

That way I can set reminders on my computer too. Basically I prefer digital because it's searchable, timestamped and easy to access and refer to later. No one can say "that's the wrong quantity" because you'll have the proof with their approval.

TheSnowman

I completely and utterly hate phone calls. I generally deal with the same people on a regular basis in my business, or we've at least talked before. With me, I'm a one man shop, and I've got another small business that takes some of my time on certain weeks of the year. If someone just emails me, I'm totally available, and I'll get back to them when it works out right away normally. If you call me, I'm normally having to walk away from what I'm doing, something gets jacked up coming off the printer, or I forget to do something to a file, then it's screwed up. When it's a phone call, all I can do at that time is talk to you. If you email me, I can keep production going, respond to others, double check my facts, and then I have a trail of what you asked for.

In some cases, yes, people are complete morons and have zero clue how to use a computer and shouldn't be emailing, but when someone wants to "stop by" to look at a proof instead of just let me email it, or if they have to stop by and pick something up, instead of letting me just ship it...it's going to be a lot longer wait on your part than if you'd just let me do it my way, because we have to then sync up two different schedules.

I don't mind face to face, or phone calls, when I have time, but that generally is never anymore. When someone new calls and wants to come by and show me something, I almost want to decline now days because I have enough other business with systems that flow easily, that I hate having to switch stuff up for the new guy and spend a lot more time on his project. The kicker is also that if they come by, they're gonna waste a ton of your time telling you stories, and dickering on your price too.

I do all forms, but I sure generally prefer emails when both sides of the conversation are competent.

Tom Dalton

I also prefer email because you can respond at your connivence (as was stated), but I also love that everything communicated is recorded and can be referred back to. So, less disagreements about what was said if something on an order goes wrong.

All "preferences aside", I think we’re off topic… I think the point made earlier was about "persuasiveness" and in that case I like both forms of communication equally and it depends on the situation. Sometimes a sales pitch can be made better by email with graphs and other images and by giving the customer the ability to hold off on looking at it until they have time to deal with it. When you charge in with an in your face approach, you’ll often get a quick "no / go away" even if they would normally buy the product ...if you catch them at a very busy moment.

Printasaurus

Thanks for the responses.

Everyone's business is a little different obviously. I primarily "sell" (offer) my installation services to other sign companies. So the challenge for me is making the initial contact and trying to determine if I can be of assistance / if they have a problem I can solve. The problem is, if I call on the phone, I may get someone that views this as rude and intrusive and taking up their valuable time. If I email, it might appear to someone else as if I'm too lazy to pick up the phone or to make the trip in person to see them. I don't see a great way to circumvent this issue, so just curious to hear others thoughts on the whole thing. I suspect there's no cure-all.

While I was selling installations to sign companies I had the same conundrum, at first. I found that when the initial contact was in person, I did about 1000% better and landed more accounts. The only times that a phone call got me any traction was when they were already in a bind and I, coincidentally, called right as their installer quit, or if I was already recommended and the phone call was to make contact and to setup a meeting.

I quickly found out that I had to make that face to face contact and treat things like it was a combination of a sales pitch and a job interview in order to close the deal. I would often walk in and inquire about the kind of business that they were, ask targeted and specific questions, and let them sell me on their business. Once they were talking about themselves, the sales were much easier. Often I'd make a sign or discuss how to install something on my initial visit, either because they asked to test me, or were simply curious of my method. Obviously they were small signs or simple methodology discussions, but that was how I showed them that I was real.I had a squeegee and knife in my pocket, by accident, the first time I did this. My apparent preparedness impressed the client and was mostly responsible for him using me, exclusively. I had very few ask for references or even sample completed projects.

In the end, I approached it like many of the good salesmen that I know do, I worked to establish a relationship. Since I wasn't interested in installing their next wrap for them, rather I was interested in installing all of their wraps, I wanted them to think of me first and often, when it came to installation. I always sent a follow-up email, or if they didn't give me an email, a follow-up letter in order to thank them for their time, show some completed projects, and all that. I didn't get all of the clients that I talked to, but the ones that I did, weren't a hassle and valued my skills, experience, and expertise.

Sometimes I would be talking to the owner from the start, other times I was talking to the receptionist, who often pulled the owner up front before even I asked. I even got a few sales by starting the conversation on what the wholesale price was on wrap vinyl or coroplast yard signs. Gas isn't cheap, but ultimately the number of times that I filled up my tank in order to drive to another new shop was paid for by the clients that I landed.

You're incredibly right when you say that everyone's business is different, but when you are going to be doing labor for someone else, especially when the shop is his baby, that he built from the ground up, they will treat contact with you like they are going to hire you and want to know that you are a good person, will show up on time, and do good work. Their priorities might be in that order, too.

The TL:DR version is that I was selling myself, more than I was selling my skills and services. My clients needed to see who they were hiring before they would consider what I would do. Your mileage my vary.

Pat Whatley

The absolute worst are the older people who call you to tell you they are sending you an email and want to discuss every detail of it right now so you'll know what it is when you see it. Send me the damn email so I can look at it and call you with questions.

My second biggest pet peeve are people who send me a damn email and write like this: "Cn u come by tm to look at r sign n lmk what the price will b?" Ignore it every single time.

I much, much prefer emails even if they are sales pitches. It lets me better allocate my time during the day. I can sit in the bank drive-thru line and read email or send a quote from the bathroom. Phone calls make me stop working right then to answer the phone then I'm forced to do stuff like browse this site and surf reddit during my down time.