• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AGFA Anapurna H3200i-LED streaking issue

PhilSwatch

Hello all!

Our AGFA hybrid-flatbed has developed a problem that has stumped us and our technicians, so I'm turning to here for any extra advice. Please see the photos attached. It is subtle to see in the photos, but is more prominent in person.

As you can see, there is a streaking and/or absence of color, typically in printing solid blues, greys and white ink. We have printed in a plethora of available resolutions and modes.

All our testings have included these print settings:
Resolution: 720x1080, 720x1440 and 720x720
Machine setting: Color, and Color + White
Carriage speeds: 3, 4, and 5
UV Power: 40 through 80
Bi-directional and Uni-directional
Quality setting and Gradient iteration

The techs have swapped out the heads and realigned. Replaced ink filters. Replaced the data cable. Swapped power supplies. Check voltages going to heads, tried adjusting, but all is normal. Those are the major maintenance items they've done. They probably did some other minor testing that i'm not aware of.

Our humidity is not ideal, however techs said they don't think that is the issue. Our RH levels have been in the teens, up to in the 40's. From my research, you want to be in the 40 to 60 range... anything in there is acceptable. We've installed a humidifier, but can't seem to get the room any higher than low 40's.

Thanks very much for any info!!

20220120_140004 arrows.jpg
20220120_140004.jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Following... We have this printer. Haven't had this issue. What media is this happening on? And is it for most files... Or a certain art file?

PhilSwatch

Following... We have this printer. Haven't had this issue. What media is this happening on? And is it for most files... Or a certain art file?
All media types... acrylic, vinyl (clear and white) pvc.

It happens on multiple art files, mostly noticeable in large areas of blue, white and grey solids.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We have the smaller brother...2500i led.... Have never noticed anything like you are experiencing. What are your printer settings? CS, FS, Lamps...etc...
The photo you show..it seems the streak doesnt extend the entire width either? Have you tried doing a gap set at various spots along the media? Could the belt be thicker in areas or causing some issues like that?

PhilSwatch

Looks like the vacuum on the machine is to high. How many sections were open?

We have the smaller brother...2500i led.... Have never noticed anything like you are experiencing. What are your printer settings? CS, FS, Lamps...etc...
The photo you show..it seems the streak doesnt extend the entire width either? Have you tried doing a gap set at various spots along the media? Could the belt be thicker in areas or causing some issues like that?
Print settings used are in the original post.

Correct, the streaks do not extend across the entire width. In all different positions, on the left, or the right.

Having to do with the belt being thicker, this could be possible. We have tested at different head gaps, but can't veer too far from the 1.3 or 1.5 gap set. There is ink buildup on one side of the belt as well, however we printed on the other side which does not have any buildup, problem still persists. Might be worth it to clean the belt, entirely.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Have you tried 540x1080 or 720x720 no masking?
Does it look EXACTLY the same on the left side as the right side of the printer? IE Same position or zone.... or is it completely random? Can you put a pc of vinyl banner across and see if you have any bubbles where the vacuum may not be properly working? See any rises in the vinyl at all??

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Print settings used are in the original post.

Correct, the streaks do not extend across the entire width. In all different positions, on the left, or the right.

Having to do with the belt being thicker, this could be possible. We have tested at different head gaps, but can't veer too far from the 1.3 or 1.5 gap set. There is ink buildup on one side of the belt as well, however we printed on the other side which does not have any buildup, problem still persists. Might be worth it to clean the belt, entirely.
Ink build up. From what I understand, you don't want ANY ink on the belt at all. It will affect the vacuum suction.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We just changed our belt out....had other issues but nothing like this. Ink buildup scratched double sided prints and caused some other stuff to happen...but never a soft banding or streaking as in those photos.

PhilSwatch

Have you tried 540x1080 or 720x720 no masking?
Does it look EXACTLY the same on the left side as the right side of the printer? IE Same position or zone.... or is it completely random? Can you put a pc of vinyl banner across and see if you have any bubbles where the vacuum may not be properly working? See any rises in the vinyl at all??
The problem tends to happen in the higher quality settings (720 x anything else, 720, 1080, or 1440) Hasn't happened much at all at 540 dpi.

The streaking is random, as in how far in from beginning of print. Sometimes a couple inches in from beginning, and sometimes a foot or two. I was just told that it extends mostly all the way across the width of the print, rarely only halfway or three-quarters across.

We also had the techs remove the belt and clean ink off the vacuum table underneath the belt, but there is still cured ink on portions of the belt.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Have you had any issues printing text or images where the image looks a little off?? Try e-stopping the printer and reseat ALL the ribbon cables from the back board to the upper portion of the cartridges. Try swapping cables and see if the issue travels to a different color? Do you have a photo of your prime test for CMYK LcLm only? We have noticed in the past that the prime test is off or printing oddly. Sometimes weird stuff happens when printing....and messing with the light gray ribbon cables helps. Reseating them is always a good place to start.

PhilSwatch

Have you had any issues printing text or images where the image looks a little off?? Try e-stopping the printer and reseat ALL the ribbon cables from the back board to the upper portion of the cartridges. Try swapping cables and see if the issue travels to a different color? Do you have a photo of your prime test for CMYK LcLm only? We have noticed in the past that the prime test is off or printing oddly. Sometimes weird stuff happens when printing....and messing with the light gray ribbon cables helps. Reseating them is always a good place to start.
Thanks so much for all your help so far! As it stands now, we may unglue the cables from the board and try swapping or resetting. Our prime test is perfect, as well as overall quality of photos and text, but it's the solid colors that are giving us the issue.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
The cables aren't glued....they pop in and out similar to old SCSI or MOBO ribbon cables. Can you post a photo of the prime test??

Print49

We have a 2500 and a 3200, and only see this on the 3200 and only in Bi-Directional on roll medias, not on rigid materials.