• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Air Quality By You

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Funny how no one talks about how concrete/pavement has a huge impact on temperature especially relative to where the temperature sensors are. Cutting down trees to replace them with parking lots. Go stand in a wooded area on a hot day and then go stand in an asphalt parking lot.

50 years ago the weather record points were surrounded by plants, today by concrete. ofcourse they're going to measure hotter
Most weather stations are at airports. They have to be in the grass and 8 or 10 feet or so off the ground. Urban areas have a heat island effect.. that's been known for a long time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah..... anyway !!!

Before 1909, they didn't have weather because there were no airports. People just looked out the door.

They had weather balloons, but that was just to see which way the wind blew and the BS flew.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yeah..... anyway !!!

Before 1909, they didn't have weather because there were no airports. People just looked out the door.

They had weather balloons, but that was just to see which way the wind blew and the BS flew.
Fancy people had thermometers outside the kitchen window.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but they were nothing more than rectal thermometers and only had about 9 degrees on them...... neutral, 4 for hot and 4 for cold.

Yep, it's gonna go down to the mid 2º and 3º range today and by the feel of my rheumatism, we might have snow...... about 7' of it. Good day to stay indoors and and tend to your gout.

Johnny Best

Before 1909 people wet their finger in their mouth and then held their hand in the air. You get the temp and wind direction all at once. Then tear some grass and throw it in the air for wind speed. Gino also looks at the way the wind is blowing the trees to tell if it will rain.

ikarasu

Funny how no one talks about how concrete/pavement has a huge impact on temperature especially relative to where the temperature sensors are. Cutting down trees to replace them with parking lots. Go stand in a wooded area on a hot day and then go stand in an asphalt parking lot.

50 years ago the weather record points were surrounded by plants, today by concrete. ofcourse they're going to measure hotter
Arent all the temperature reading stations up high on towers at (mainly) airports? I don't think they make trees that high! I'm sure they do have lower sensors as well .. or they wouldn't get an accurate reading.

Global warming is real, though! Whether it's caused by mankind, or it's just a natural event.... I can understand that debate. But there's no doubting all the ice polara that are melting and causing issues.

I live in BC, where there's tons of mountains and trees. In the past 10 years we've had hundreds of more forest fires, most of which is due to dry weather / super high temps. It's very noticeable here that the weather is changing crazy fast... Harder to pinpoint exactly why.

victor bogdanov

Arent all the temperature reading stations up high on towers at (mainly) airports? I don't think they make trees that high! I'm sure they do have lower sensors as well .. or they wouldn't get an accurate reading.

Global warming is real, though! Whether it's caused by mankind, or it's just a natural event.... I can understand that debate. But there's no doubting all the ice polara that are melting and causing issues.

I live in BC, where there's tons of mountains and trees. In the past 10 years we've had hundreds of more forest fires, most of which is due to dry weather / super high temps. It's very noticeable here that the weather is changing crazy fast... Harder to pinpoint exactly why.

Temperature sensor siting: The sensor should be mounted 5 feet +/- 1 foot above the ground. The ground over which the shelter [radiation] is located should be typical of the surrounding area. A level, open clearing is desirable so the thermometers are freely ventilated by air flow. Do not install the sensor on a steep slope or in a sheltered hollow unless it is typical of the area or unless data from that type of site are desired. When possible, the shelter should be no closer than four times the height of any obstruction (tree, fence, building, etc.). The sensor should be at least 100 feet from any paved or concrete surface.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, maybe they did, right after using it up their @ss with the rectal thermometer. Nobody cared about wind speed or direction back then and if the wind blew up your shorts, it only mattered in scotland where the girls wear the pants.

As for this climate change stuff, do any of you realize that the earth has gone through quite a few global warmings and ice ages over the last 2 billion some years. The last ice age started about 3 million years ago and about 12,000 years ago we entered into a warm interglacial, right about about the beginning of human civilization. In the last almost million years we've gone through at least 8 of these ups & downs of global warming. They're much much shorter then the cold periods. What we're witnessing and complaining about is like a pimple on an elephant's @ss. Ya might wanna do some homework, before ya spout off this ..... the world is coming to an end bullcrap.

JBurton

Signtologist
You've had the AC on with outside temps in the 40's?
I'm more shocked that ikarasu got a system installed for 10k, I dropped nearly 20k on mine!
12,000 years ago we entered into a warm interglacial
In the last almost million years we've gone through at least 8 of these ups
So the last 12k years comprises 1.2% of the last million years. Given that we have 8 spikes every million, so every 12% of this million year time frame constitutes a temperature spike/dip? So you're saying that it's been only a 1/10th of the typical timeframe for the world to start another temp change?

What blows my mind more than anything is the amount of conflict their is over climate change. Anybody recall* when NASA was like, 'hey everybody, there's a f*cking hole in the sky, you can't see it, but you need to stop using this kind of hair spray and that kind of freon.' Folks weren't thrilled, but you didn't see them in the streets demanding we keep our hairspray.
*I was just a kiddo back then, so I'm probably misremembering, and the hair stylists of the country did in fact unite and storm Kennedy Space Center.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just a little haze here and absolutely gorgeous sunsets.

It's been really good news for the folks farther east. They've been able to quit smoking and are now getting their fix from the ambient air.

If it continues much longer, it's rumored the Marlboro man may go hang out with Dylan to ride this thing out.

JB

Boudica

Cutting down trees to replace them with parking lots…
I remember that song on the radio lol
I remember the lyrics written out and posted in a certain store front... They sold hippy stuff that got a second wind in early 90's pop culture. Over time, It doesn't seem to loose the relevance.
.... "They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot "

Aardvark Printing

Weather record points are almost always at airports. Not a lot of trees there.

Boudica

Weather record points are almost always at airports. Not a lot of trees there.
Depends. Rural airports, have a decent distance from trees. Of course. But miles of trees surrounding them. But they also have a more than decent distance from large infrastructure from all the other heat absorbing and then radiating things like buildings, asphalt, concrete....

Metropolitan airports May seem Open, but depending... They are also surrounded by hotels, restaurants...
My point... It's all relative to geography, but trend's seem consistent. And this planet, is a big Baby Boomer on it's way out. I say live it up.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
What blows my mind more than anything is the amount of conflict their is over climate change. Anybody recall* when NASA was like, 'hey everybody, there's a f*cking hole in the sky, you can't see it, but you need to stop using this kind of hair spray and that kind of freon.' Folks weren't thrilled, but you didn't see them in the streets demanding we keep our hairspray.
As a drummer from that era, I think used enough Aqua Net to be personally responsible for that hole in the sky. We'd buy it by the case... :rock-n-roll:

petepaz

we are in north eastern jersey close to NY and on wed around 1 or 2 it was just brown outside. i live in north west jersey on the border of PA and it was orange but i figure if i survived riding in the car with my parents smoking and the windows rolled up as a kid then this is nothing...haha