• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

alcohol cleaning????

otown

Can I use alcohol to clean the heads on my machine? like rubbing alcohol? can I use that to let them sit in the capping station aswell. I have run out of cleaning solution. I don't want to do anything that will make things worse for me lol

fmg

Can I use alcohol to clean the heads on my machine? like rubbing alcohol? can I use that to let them sit in the capping station aswell. I have run out of cleaning solution. I don't want to do anything that will make things worse for me lol

I don't own a Mutoh but I would no way use this method on my Mimaki.

formanek

Tear apart an empty ink cartridge and cut a corner off the bag and use the solution in there to clean.

AUTO-FX

try a search, artbot has posted a formula for cleaning solution, i just cant remember what it is comprised of.

Stealth Ryder

NO NO NO... Use the cleaning solvent that is supplied with what ever ink you use... Alcohol hardens ink, think of the cleaning solvent as paint thinner to paint... It is the base of the ink you use... Using anything else, like "homemade mixtures" can and most likely will cause you further issues down the road... Trust me on this, been at it a long time...

artbot

don't use the alcohol. wrong drying properties. some contain water. both which will introduce condensation, thus coagulating your ink.

i use butyl cellosolve 6 parts, acetone 1 part. it's basically what your cleaning solution and ink is made of. i've gone through gallons of it, even use it as my base to make my printable varnish and some other custom inks.

AUTO-FX

Artbot, what is butyl cellosolve, or probably more important, where can i buy it? It's not like you go down to the corner RX and buy that stuff, right?

i just checked - wikipedia describes it as a primary ingredient in windex and simple green. interesting!

Last edited:

artbot

it's a glycol ether. the more industrial/commercial sherwin williams' will have it. you'll recognize the smell immediately when you open it. "smells like ink!"

the msds's for most solvent cleaning fluids also include butyl carbitol an extremely slow evaporating glycol ether. i've messed with it and since they two chemicals are brother's i've not been able to tell a performance difference.