• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alignment Problem Sp540v

bertex

Anyone have this problem? The print starts out fine then runs off the media. A tech told me cleaning the clear strip behind the heads, that worked for a while but now, I can't print anything perfectly straight?:help:

mark in tx

How old is the machine?
I just had to replace the sensor that reads the strip, but my machine is 18 months old.
Depending on how adventurous you are, you can try flipping the strip over.

SignManiac

Mine just started acting up this weekend. It's been locking up with a "carriage is disconnected" error and we have to reboot and start the print all over. I'm waiting now for tech to call back.

Like yours the image is printing skewed even though the media is perfectly straight. I think it may be a calibration issue.

bertex

Yep, about 18 months. Can you say built in obsolesence, or what. Right now I've got about 40 banners to print, so I'm getting real adventurous, also waiting for a tech to call.

BobbyFosson

Encoder strip and/or encoder sensor may need to be replaced... another thing that can cause this is loose wire tension on the carriage wire.

customsticker

Get some isopronal alcohol and rub down the encoder strip.

It more than likely needs to be cleaned. It goes from left to right on the printer Iabout 54" long, has thin lines in it). Also, check the sensor that reads this strip. This sensor goes over top of the strip. If you can find the strip, you can find the sensor! Dust can really cause some major issues with them. If it is dirty, it won't print correctly.

It may need to be replaced - but try cleaning first.

Get a flashlight and look around - I bet you can find some dust in places you didn't know existed, and can cause problems.

threeputt

It's almost for certain the sensor strip. They are $225.00. But....before you do that, take it out and very, very carefully clean it with Isopropyl alcohol. Do not use denatured alcohol!

Clean it both sides with a really soft white cloth. Replace it. If it doesn't improve dramatically, then it's probably the sensor. It may simply be dusty. Blow it off with canned air.

Finally, the carriage cable has to be set to 11 lbs. tension. It's fourteen from the factory, but they wear in and finally settle at about 11. Ours was getting saggy, down to seven I think the tech said. That is probably not your problem. But if you're going to have a tech out, then definetly have him tension it. (takes special knowhow and tools, I think)

Hope you get 'er running pretty quick.

bertex

Thanks, guys - new encoder strip and sensor on the way. Hmmm 1/2' x 54...thats .1875 square feet, about 1100.00 a square foot...seems reasonable...

bertex

276.00 for the strip, 146.00 for the sensor, still not printing. Waiting on tech, day 3 no printy = bad week for me.