• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alps

scooternalberta

:Canada: ok me again,i think we are gonna go with the alps printer for now ,
is there a specific model number that is better than another ?
please everyone share your model numbers,expieriences,and opinions
thanks once again
also anyone wanting to get rid of theirs pm me

uneedasign

The Alps 5000 is the newest model, still available to send in for replacement, and has the highest resolution. It also has an optional dye sub plug in available. If this is the type of printer you want, I wouldn't buy anything but the 5000.

scooternalberta

:Canada 2: right on barely hade time to hit refresh,thanks for the quick response,just wondering are the new ones in range from 550-600 about right?is it neccesary to by a new one or are they pretty reliable or easily fixed if i buy a used one

uneedasign

Alps discontinued manufacturing printers a couple of years ago. They still offer factory refurbished units for a fee if you send in a broken one, and at this time are still selling the ribbons. No telling how much longer they will still be available.

njsigns

Every Alps I ever got off of eBay had banding issues, and although I love eBay, I would suggest looking elsewhere. I have purchased broken MD 1000's and traded them in (I think it was $350 shipped) and got a brand new MD 5000 in return on their exchange program. I would check the yahoo Alps Board, sometimes people are selling them on there as well. I have owned several Alps and agree the MD 5000 is the best, although I still have a MD 1000 that has been a real work horse and I keep it around for back up. This guy (I believe his name is Paul) http://www.systems-consulting.com is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever spoken to in regards to the Alps. He is very willing to communicate and has lots of supplies. Seriuosly, the Alps group is worth looking into...

Gene

OldPaint

the ribbons in the alps are the same ribbons used in the early rolands...you may have to rewind the roland to the alps cases..but they will work

ENTDesign

If you look at Roland ribbons, make sure you get the wax base ones. I think these are the PC50 or PC60 ribbons. The resin ones (some Roland's and the Zero Nine's) run at a higher temperature. I have been meaning to test this as I am almost out of Alps ribbons. I am curious if the resin ribbons would work on the dye sub setting.

I have a MD2300 and a MD5000. These both have some banding when doing large areas of coverage. I bought these originally to do digital photo work since the ribbons are pigmented (back in the good old days before Epson came up with pigmented inkjet ink). I did print some decals on some white vinyl using the MD2300 and the regular Alps ribbons, but I had to laminate over the print as it was prone to scratch off damage.

scooternalberta

ok am bidding on a md5000
another couple questions.
how do you go about cutting around the decals after printed on the md 5000?

would i be better of biteing the bullet and buying a roland printer cutter
keep in mind im only doing small stuff,hard hat decals and etc,...

is the roland cj-60 at all good there is a dealer refurb for 2999.?

thanks again
scott
:Canada 2:

Jackpine

alps thermal printer

ALPS MD 2010 Printer Micro-Dry - Parallel - 600 Dpi X 600 DPI

ALPS Electric has come up with a winner with their MD 2010 printer. This printer produces excellent color on coated paper and great color on regular copy paper using dry ribbon cartridges. The cartridges are inexpensive and easy to exchange or replace. Colors can be installed in any of the four cartridge holders and the printer will know the holder location through an internal sensing mechanism. It will also let you know when to change ribbons or if the ribbons are installed reversed. No messy ink cartridges to go dry. No tricolour cartridges to toss when one color runs out. The ALPS system is painless and really clean. The black and white print looks great at all three resolutions: 300x300, 600X600 and 1200x600. The color options are 600x600 and 300x300. Dozens of options are available to choose from. Opening the print options feature, one can choose and change any parameter within the six folders: media quality, color resolution, half toning, image setting (brightness, contract and color balance), document type (automatic, business graphic, graphic art, photograph, monochrome picture, monochrome text, metallic color, metallic with full color and custom options) and paper (plain special or thick paper, transparency, iron on sheet or back print film).

I have a like new. I used it very little (NO Banding) MD2010 for sale. 3 each CMYK new ribbons (12 total), 1 set CMYK some uses on them,1 metallic silver, 1metallic gold, 1 A/B Data Switch (can be used by two computers) . You can print with white ribbon. This is a like new with very little use with all the origanial packaging, disk ect. A great printer that can print thermal resin transfers as well as other substrates. I will include alps paper and transfer paper with printer. I will sell at a reasonable cost. PM or email me for details.

TresL

I have a MD-5000 I use every so often.....
I print out of Flexi w/reg marks.

Load it into my cutter, line up the marks and contour cut.

ENTDesign

I cut my stuff out by hand with a circle template which sometimes didn't line up. If you can afford the print/cut unit, it probably make your work easier.

mander0104

:Canada 2: so if i were to get the alps printer ,could i use it with my ioline studio 8 ,
to contour cut.
sorryagain but still new to most of this
scott

mander0104

does anyone know if this is possible,iwill never ever ask another question(today), if someone can help me,
p.s. this is scooter in alberta ,mander is my wife
thanks scooter

TresL

I use my Alps to make VERY short run small vinyl decals.

I work up the files in Flexi and send to the Alps for printing with Registration Marks, then load it into my Graphtec Cutter and line up Registration marks and contour cut them......

Works great.

andy

I had a couple of Alps years ago- citizen sold a badged version also. Never really got on with them. Ribbons would band and feeding vinyl through it was a bit hit and miss.

It was a nice idea that didn't really work out too well- not for me anyway.

njsigns

This is the exact product I used for years:

http://www.gotoforms.com/Templates/frmTemplateM.asp?CatalogID=51924&Zoom=Yes&SubFolderId=2656

It's crystal clear, unlike many other products I have used (Avery being one of them). I would peel the backing off the lam, lay it down with adhesive up, place my graphic/sticker face down on the adhesive and squeegy air bubbles out. You can also buy this at most WalMarts if you're in a pinch or just want to buy a 10 pack to try it out. It really does hold up well.

On a side note, I was printing with the Alps to a polyester laser printer paper with adhesive backing, can't remember who sold it though....

Gene