• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum blanks and magnetic sheets with Epson 7700?

luehrslogistics

I just purchased an EcoMax 24 printer from Graphics One and so far have just run standard vinyl and banner material. It is a modified Epson 7700 with pre/platen/post heaters and Sepiax thermal resin inks that can print on pretty much anything.

What I'm wondering is if anybody has thoughts or experience running aluminum blanks through the 7700. I have some .040 gauge white blanks in 18x24, but am nervous about putting something that heavy through my brand new printer.

Along the same lines, has anyone run rolls of magnetic material through a similar printer? The heaters are aluminum but I still would worry about the consequences. I'm also unsure if the cutter could cut through it.

Thanks,
-B

artbot

i predominantly .040 aluminum in my mimaki. even up to 5x10 @ .060 (that's a heavy sheet). as long as your head clears you should be fine. doesn't the epson somewhat feed the sheet "down hill" into the printer. if so you should have no problem. if you can turn off your platen vacuum, do that. the vacuum just increases the friction at the platen. if you start doing a lot of rigid, you can always beef up the springs on the pinch roller.

question: i noticed that sepiax introduced a white ink. do you have the white? and if so how opaque is it?

luehrslogistics

Yeah, cut sheets are loaded almost vertically. I'll work up the nerve and report back.

No white ink in my machine. I've been talking to the Graphics One guys and it sounds like its not quite ready for prime time as they haven't decided on which machines they'll offer it on.

I'm wondering if its technically feasible to use the 5th channel for the white. The 7700 is just a CMYK device but with auto-switching dual black. As of now the 2nd black cart just has cleaning fluid in it. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed but if its possible that would be sweet.

-B

artbot

i wouldn't leave white "in the lines". but if and when the white becomes an option you could use that plumbing and just pull the fifth damper over to your black channel and print white from there. that's what i do.

luehrslogistics

No go. I tried a smaller 12x18 sheet to start and the Epson kept "dropping" the piece. I even tried to guide it with the lid up but got a paper load error. Oh well, so much for skipping a step.

-B

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Is it just not catching or maybe doesn't have enough force to keep it? Maybe better springs as artbot suggested would help.

rubo

I do print on 24x48 0.032 all the time - place your printer against the wall, let the aluminum rest on the wall as you feed it into the printer - that will take some weight off the springs. These springs are strong enough to scratch the S&^% out of the blank on the back, so you'll be OK. Cheers,

Rubo

JAMEY

I do print on 24x48 0.032 all the time - place your printer against the wall, let the aluminum rest on the wall as you feed it into the printer - that will take some weight off the springs. These springs are strong enough to scratch the S&^% out of the blank on the back, so you'll be OK. Cheers,

Rubo

Got pics of these prints?

rubo

I sure do. Here it is. Let me know if you have more questions.
picture.php