• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Amateur banner question

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Dumb question, can you hem double sided 18oz banner like a regular banner with banner tape or welder? I have to make some 9'x50' and was thinking of buying a cheap banner welder on eBay and chucking it when done. Any guidance here?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Might get a better result by sending them out to be stitched or welded. Those welders make a mess unless you have some experience with them and have a good unit that is dialed in on the material you are printing.
Another option would be HH66 adhesive. Makes for smooth strong hems with a little practice.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We've been doing this a long time....a wedge welder will do the double sided banner but its possible you will have scrapes and such along the Visual opening as you go along with it. Even on our miller hot air welder, the nozzle comes in and can cause some issues. Down in Florida there, you have enough canvas shops around....they can stitch it up for you im sure. Should figure about $.65-.85 a linear ft to sew it. Those are some big ass double sided banners.

signheremd

ah... 9x50 is not a banner but a sail... have you considered air slits and cable reinforcements? First time I put up a banner that size the breeze about lifted us off the ground. I would have a shop that specializes in banners that large make the blank for you, might want someone that installs banners that big to install it for you too...that is a lot of liability blowing in the wind.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I would hope...But I really don't think you'll be able to get it tight along that span without it sagging and as signhere said, its a huge freaking sail even with wind slits. Do some math on the wind load. 2 single sided banners with multiple posts along the run would likely be better. Double sided Mesh might be ok...but even then it still can't be brought snug enough. Street banners that are properly installed and such aren't just pulled from pole to pole without the carabiner clips on a cable and such.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd just up it to 6" x 6" posts and you'll be good to go. No sagging, unless you have too many words on the banner. They'll add extra weight and it'll become more like a 22oz banner, instead. Then, ya might have some more thinking to do. Also, try to keep the colors 'light' ones, so as to help ease up on the weight. Extra wide kerning will also help put air between the letters adding to weightlessness.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I was just kidding, it's actually going on a shipping container, single sided just to cover up the corrugations for a photo backdrop. I'm not hanging it either, just selling them the banner. I wasn't sure about hemming double sided material but that was what they had that is smooth and fire rated plus 18oz seemed like a better option for the size? It only has to last for a week so the original plan was to not hem it but now things changed.
We have 30'x60' tarps that we use to cover stuff we are working on in the field so I get the sail effect. We have to drag these up ladders and across machinery if a storm is getting close.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I was just kidding, it's actually going on a shipping container, single sided just to cover up the corrugations for a photo backdrop. I'm not hanging it either, just selling them the banner. I wasn't sure about hemming double sided material but that was what they had that is smooth and fire rated plus 18oz seemed like a better option for the size? It only has to last for a week so the original plan was to not hem it but now things changed.
We have 30'x60' tarps that we use to cover stuff we are working on in the field so I get the sail effect. We have to drag these up ladders and across machinery if a storm is getting close.

Wha..... do you work at a baseball field ?? :pops_blinking:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It looks like I'd have to order this, how much would you think itd take?
We get it by the gallon (but we are far from re-supply). I'd think a quart would be more than enough for one backdrop even with some practice hems on scrap. The best way to lay it down is the same way you'd use rubber cement. Coat both sides of the fold and let it set up a little for a strong bond. I use a block/sqweegee to get a good even coat to layout. Like spreading drywall mud. Test it on your material, if it puddles it can burn through some banner materials - don't think it would on 18oz. Leftover is good as a general glue- filler. Bonds pvc sheet better than anything else I have tried.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
We have a Royal Sovereign banner welder, it doesn’t play well w 18oz, does fine on thinner. We only run 18oz so if ya know anyone looking for a good deal on a pretty much unused welder....