• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Backlit Question

MI Bearcat

I have to replace a backlit panel with an new design. The previous panel just had translucent cut vinyl applied but the new graphic has two PMS colors (darker grey and a green) they want to match so I can't use cut vinyl and they are solid back ground colors with white lettering. Plan on doing two pieces of vinyl, one on clear and one on translucent white after reading many threads about this. What's the best substrate to use in this case, clear or the translucent acrylic/polycarbonate?

unclebun

If you're doing a digital print with the double layer method, put it on white translucent plastic. The choice of acrylic or polycarbonate depends on the size and your preference.

MI Bearcat

Thanks for the info. It's small enough that I was going to go with acrylic as their current sign has yellowed quite a bit. Should we go with clear vinyl then on front and back with the white translucent?

unclebun

We put both layers of vinyl on the front. Clear first (unlaminated) applied. Then translucent white, with UV laminate registered on top.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We would do this as a Day Night Backlit for our clients. Print inline with CMYK and White ink....3 layers total and then laminate. Boom...all done and ready to apply.