• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another boat lettered today

Colin

Attachments

• el Sueno.JPG
    el Sueno.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 91

Colin

It's Semilla. The customer wanted a little Spanish feel to it. I also gave the option with a light grey outline, but the customer opted for one color only.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
It's Semilla. I also gave the option with a light grey outline, but the customer opted for one color only.

Show them an offset drop shadow; looks very nice w/ script.
Shades/shadows on script text look much nicer and more elegant than outlines.

Colin

Show them an offset drop shadow; looks very nice w/ script.
Shades/shadows on script text look much nicer and more elegant than outlines.

Um, ya, I've done hundreds if not thousands of boats and usually do the shadow thing, but I don't want all of my work to start to look the same so I try to mix it up a bit with the embellishments.

At least I didn't say "dark blue outline". :Big Laugh

Colin

That would be $60 vinyl, $80 painted from my shop...do them all the time.

Let me see if I got this right:

You'd go down to the customer's boat (20 min drive return) to meet with the customer, discuss options, take measurements, assess condition of gelcoat, etc - which is something that must/should be done in order for the job to be done properly; then return to your shop, draw the spaces/areas into your computer, design a nice name, email a proof with outline/shadow option shown, cut/weed & mask all vinyl (cast), return to marina (another 20 minutes and fuel) and install.........all for $60.00?

I think I'm smarter than that.

The frustrating thing is that some customers do indeed jump on the internet and see and get lured into the "cheaper" cookie-cutter approach to "getting their boat name" - you know the ones - where the customer gets placed in the driver's seat of being the designer, with 12 tragic, hideous fonts to choose from, and if you want red letters on a blue background, sure thing, the untrained money-grabbing knuckle-dragger on the other end will gladly do that for you. It matters not whether the name fits the space or not, (after all, the customer is fixated on having an 8" letter), or if the gel-coat is chalky & oxidized preventing the vinyl from adhering properly.........the sale is made!

Breathe deep.......breathe deep.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Mosh math
$60.00 total
Subtract - $12.00
materials and plotter time

$48.00 remaining
Average cost for a 24cnt case of name brand beer = $12.00
48/12 = 4
At the end of the day he'd be at least 1 or 2 cases ahead depending on how many he'd polish off during those 20 minute drives....

wayne k
guam usa