• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Pricing Question!

MIkeyB036

Hello, all. I haven't been here in a couple of years. We reopened our sign business after half-way closing for about a year, personal details and COVID.

Anyway, we have been doing pretty good. We mainly do window signage, small graphics for vehicles, etc., the occasional lawn signs, did a bunch of political stuff then.

Today, we had a request for something we've never done before. It's not a hard job, in fact doesn't even involve us installing it - just ORDERING the letters! But it's acrylic 3-D letters, and we have NO experience with anything like that.

I started to quote a price similar to what we charge for vinyl ($12-15/sq. ft), but something stopped me. Then I came to computer to price it - we'll have to job it out, obviously and just deliver the letters when they arrive.

But YIKES! I wasn't prepared for the pricing on that stuff! It's working out to something like $40 PER LETTER. Granted, the letters are going to be huge - 18" high. It's signage that's going to be affixed onto the front of a building advertising the business. But that still seems steep to me. Have I gone to the wrong wholesaler? Or, rather IS THERE a retailer for stuff like that? The CHEAP ones I found are the price I listed above, the more "reputable" looking ones were DOUBLE that and more.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Check with some local vendors. They might provide a CNC version, but you need to express the thickness....... 1/8", 1'4" or more. You'll also need to provide standoffs and/or studs for drilling into the wall and finally a pattern for whoever IS installing them.

DPD

Plastics have all gone up in price. Also, there is a shortage of plastics. Prices of raw materials are going up and you'd have to be working from your stock not to notice. I work 'just in time' so I see the prices rising immediately. I pay very close attention to my manufacturer or supplier expiration dates and pass those along because - especially on high price signs - I'm not about to absorb the losses.

There's more coming and its just a matter of time.

rossmosh

Acrylic has always been expensive. Just look at how much a sheet costs.

Also, I think people don't appreciate the expensive and difficulty of painting letters. It's a real pain to do them well.

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
Best choice is Gemini..... Contact them, setup your company with them, then send to their quote department the details of what you are wanting, after referencing their products.

Their finishes are better than "your local CNC operator" can likely offer. Plus with Gemini, you have a warranty. I have had multiple pieces remade over the years for various projects.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I order through Gemini - they have an instant quote page and it tells you what to charge the customer for retail and what you will pay. No guesswork except installation fees. Just remember to select the correct studs/pads. People on here can help with that. The first time I ordered I was scared but it was exactly correct and I followed everyone's advice for installing and it worked out perfectly!

MIkeyB036

Thanks! I did go to Gemini yesterday, after a few suggested I do so. I didn't find a "instant quote" page NOR what to charge customers! What I found was a page telling me they work with local vendors and to contact the local they do business with.

Which is fine, I know of the local and will contact them today...but it sounds like I went to a different company's site?

brdesign

make sure you are going to the official Gemini website, there are several resellers of Gemini products that use similar website names
their home page

MIkeyB036

OK, thanks. I had the website correct, but that's the step I did NOT do.

I figured "Partners..." was for bigger companies, and we ain't no big dogs! : {