• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Another Royal Sovereign Laminator Problem :)

KaitB

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to adjust the pressure on our 65" heat assist RSC-1651LSH. I've read all the relevant posts on here, got us set up with a gauge and have fiddled with the damn thing for hours with zero luck.

When I first started I was getting the following: L-25.1lbs M-24.3lbs R-11.6lbs
Well that seemed like an obvious fix, just increase the pressure on the right side, right? No. Another staff member at the shop had apparently already tried to do this at some point and the right side was tightened up as much as it would go. So I was thinking maybe it was a case of it being over tightened on the right side? So I backed the right off and then also back off the left side as well, test and repeat a few times. Now I'm getting around 9.4-10.1lbs on the left and right but and still at about 23 lbs in the middle.

I'm out of ideas. Are the rollers just F'ed from being over torqued or from being used while the pressure was uneven?

Thanks!

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Did you try to see if the rollers are FLAT or Crowned in the middle? Put a small level across the middle. Sounds strange that so much in the middle.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Royal Sovereign uses crowned rollers, so you will get a pressure differential between the ends and the middle. Check to see if the rollers are out of round by laying something rigid across the roller. See attached pic. The Royal Sovereigns can drive you crazy.

Attachments

• Roller test.jpg
    Roller test.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 305

KaitB

The crowned roller makes sense! It seems right, ever so slightly wider in the centre. I leveled the pressure out on the ends and ran a test, and it seems to be tracking better (didn't have anything long on hand to laminate so I only did a 5 ft piece, but it was performing so badly before that I could tell even on a short run that it's better). I guess we'll see how it goes when I get something longer to laminate. Thank you so much, I'd seen mention of a "crowned" roller before but had no idea what it meant, didn't even occur to me that the rollers wouldn't be straight.

Something else just occurred to me; what's the ideal pressure setting? It's at 11.6/11.8 right now because that's the closest I got to level, but I wasn't really aiming for a number.
Is that an appropriate pressure? I can't find an actual recommended number anywhere online.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Take a roll of Backer paper and run it thru the laminator. Lined up one side and the other. You can check the tracking that way and adjust accordingly.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Should have specified the obvious, that you look for up & down movement as shown in pic, is while running the machine (no lamination needed).

Attachments

• Roller test.jpg
    Roller test.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 216