• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

any computer gurus on here?

briankb

Premium Subscriber
My advice, instead of wasting 4 drives with no fail over. Why not make two sets (RAID 1 - Mirror) one for Software/OS and one for Docs, Fonts, and whatever else. Most motherboards support RAID 0-5 as does Windows XP,Vista, and 7 via software. If a HD fails just pull it and let it reboot on the remaining good drive while you order a replacement.

LoneRanger01

I use an Intel motherboard that has Raid built onto the board. That is how I am able to install 4 HHD's. And two cd/dvd recorders. The problem with mirroring is if the first HHd get a virus then so does the mirror. My system only has the operating system on one hard drive therefore it is the only one that will be affected by the virus. No file or work will be lost. Also my method does not slow the compter down when it is running more than one printer or cutter at the same time.

jiarby

Every machine I have ever built had 2 Hdd's and 2 cd/dvd recorders.

$2700 is what the parts cost... I built it myself in Nov. 2009
i7 Quad, Raptors in a Raid-0 for O/S, three data drives (cust files drive mirrored, and "other" storage) 2 TB backup drive, BR Burner, DVDRW, loads of cooling, 12gb RAM, etc...
Same machine today is probably $1200!

LoneRanger01

I think it was 2006 or 2007 that I built my last computer, mainly because I've gotten to the point in life where I just don't like that many people. I remember back in the day builing a computer when win mell. was the new Os and it would not handle 1 GB of ram. What operating system did you use that will handle 12 GB of ram?

briankb

Premium Subscriber
...My system only has the operating system on one hard drive therefore it is the only one that will be affected by the virus. No file or work will be lost. Also my method does not slow the compter down when it is running more than one printer or cutter at the same time.

Install an anti-virus program... just because you only have a single OS drive doesn't mean the other ATTACHED drives will not be infected. There are plenty of viri that will infect everything attached to a computer.

LoneRanger01

install an antivirus software program?????? After fifteen years of building and servicing computers I never would have thought of that......Duh.....(sarcasim) Most if not all virusis attack the software and files on C drive. In fifteen years I have yet to see any virus attack a d drive or any other drive that does not have software on it. A virus has to have certain things in place in order for it to work. one thing is software and the other is a system directory. A formatted hard drive with nothing on it but files can not be attacked.
Let me try and put it to you like this. Virus depend on and use other peoples software in order for it to do its damage
I am amazed at some of the posts I read on this site concerning spam, scam letters and the dreaded Blue screen of death. These are things that should have gone by the way side after window XP pro came out. Some times after reading some of these threads i double check the calander just to make sure it is not 1998. I can say with all honesty that since 2003 every person that has owned a Knight Industries computer has not lost a single file. While they may have down loaded a virus through their own stupidity they have not, and I repeat myself, they have not lost one single file from their business. And while I will no longer sell anyone a computer my set up and system does work and can be built by anyone who can put a childs toy together.
Maybe it's my arrogance or me not liking people but I have a really hard time understanding why a person who depends on a computer for their living would not either have the best or protect what they have with every fiber of their being. Keep in mind when I say the best I am not talking about the most expensive computer. A person should be able to put together a computer for around 1200.00 and not have to up date or upgrade it for five or six years. Any one thinks I am BSing them please feel free to PM me and I will give you the sign companies name and phone number and I am sure he will back up what I say. He runs CasMate and Flexi has four or five computers from me and uswes HP scanners and printers with Summa cutters Rolland cutters and he just recently bought a new cutter/printer. And he has not lost one single svc of flexi file since 2003.

Last edited:

choucove

System uniformity is something that, if you can plan for it, makes administration and compatibility a much easier subject in your technology plan.

In our Hays office last spring we upgraded all new computer systems there. We waited a year longer than initially planned, but that was so we could save up and replace everything the best we could to be completely uniform.

First off, for the set up, if all the computer systems are identical then you only need to install your base software on one computer and then you can simply image it over to the other computers. In our case, since we built four new computers, that saved me nearly three times the amount of setup time. Sure you still have some final settings and installation after that, but it saves many many hours.

If one computer in their office has an issue, and we are able to find the tool or solution that fixes it, then we know that solution should work on every computer in that office since they are the same, and backup is made easier as we only need to have one base system image to recover to instead of having to have images of each computer system. Now, I know this means that a lot of the "individuality" from each computer such as user accounts might not be there in the base image, but no data is saved onto the individual computer systems, it's all done off the file server.

And that'd be my final point. If you've got multiple computers networking together continually sharing data back and forth, it's more efficient to offload that duty to a dedicated file server of some kind. With only a few computers in the network it doesn't have to be anything fancy. A NAS device or some of the pre-configured HP home file server systems are a great investment to store your data in a protected RAID configuration. Plus, your workstation computers aren't having to "double duty" dealing with sharing out and protecting your data as well as doing your design or RIP work. Once you start getting five or more workstations continually pulling artwork and customer files all day off the server then you may want to step up to something a little more powerful, but it still doesn't have to be tremendous, $1,000 goes a long ways!

The list of things that you can do to further streamline your business technology, improve your performance, and increase your data security just goes on forever. It's simply a matter of what you wish to budget to accomplish it, and who will do it. There have been many discussions on here throughout the past several years which detail many of these things quite well I think, which is why I am so glad to be a member here to help discuss these technologies, help others in developing their business systems, and learning something new myself.

LoneRanger01

giving away good trade secrets........ha,ha,ha, is that tech speak for "would you just shut up already".....ha,ha,ha. in a cloud of dust and a hearty high ho silve.....i'm out of here.

signswi

Mechanical parts have high failure rates, HDs and fans are the last two mechanical parts left in computers. Most data loss is HD failure caused by mechanical failure or power surges (brownouts or noisy lines frequently). Viruses are way down on the list. Way, way down. Modern malware payloads are zombiesofts not old school mischief like deleting files.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Mechanical parts have high failure rates, HDs and fans are the last two mechanical parts left in computers. Most data loss is HD failure caused by mechanical failure or power surges (brownouts or noisy lines frequently). Viruses are way down on the list. Way, way down. Modern malware payloads are zombiesofts not old school mischief like deleting files.

+1