• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any ideas on a help wanted ad?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I am looking to possibly hire someone to do layouts, run the printer, laminate and cut. I'm not real seasoned in typical sign shop job roles, should I look for more than this, less? Ideally I'd like someone that could do it all, put on decals, weed, tape, print etc as I am not really busy enough to keep a person busy 40 hours with their face buried in the computer. Any suggestions on verbiage for the ad and weeding out the riff raff? Do you think that I may pick up someone part time or would that really limit things? Pay rate?

Signscorp

Something that's worked well for us is asking "What got you interested in working for a sign shop" in the little messaging feature after they've applied. It's a great way to weed out people who just clicked apply to everything they saw.

Some people will have good, enthusiastic responses, others will have typos. I find it really hard to filter by experience for Junior roles since you're looking for someone who's eager to learn, not someone with 10 years of sign shop experience.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Keep it simple...

1649381448161.png
1649381562289.png

Attachments

• 1649381483443.png
    1649381483443.png
    221.1 KB · Views: 101

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I am looking to possibly hire someone to do layouts, run the printer, laminate and cut. I'm not real seasoned in typical sign shop job roles, should I look for more than this, less? Ideally I'd like someone that could do it all, put on decals, weed, tape, print etc as I am not really busy enough to keep a person busy 40 hours with their face buried in the computer. Any suggestions on verbiage for the ad and weeding out the riff raff? Do you think that I may pick up someone part time or would that really limit things? Pay rate?
You're looking for a production manager. You have described what I do. 90% prep/print/finish, 10% real graphic design work. But it was a job requirement. Got me the job, I learned the 90% on the job.

Notarealsignguy

You're looking for a production manager. You have described what I do. 90% prep/print/finish, 10% real graphic design work. But it was a job requirement. Got me the job, I learned the 90% on the job.
Soooo there boudica, would you care to write me a want ad for yourself? You can tack it on my bill.

Boudica

Soooo there boudica, would you care to write me a want ad for yourself? You can tack it on my bill.
Be happy to. But, I'm a rare commodity. Good luck finding another "me". Honestly, I can't be that unique though. There are a lot of people in Florida. There's hope.

Notarealsignguy

Be happy to. But, I'm a rare commodity. Good luck finding another "me". Honestly, I can't be that unique though. There are a lot of people in Florida. There's hope.
So help me out here. You can even do the interview this way when they suck, I have someone to blame and yell at.

Boudica

So help me out here. You can even do the interview this way when they suck, I have someone to blame and yell at.
I will, but I can't right this moment. This requires thought, and I'm on my phone. I think type better on a computer.
You know my rate... "Drop everything now" requires a surcharge. Right Tex?

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

I will, but I can't right this moment. This requires thought, and I'm on my phone. I think type better on a computer.
You know my rate... "Drop everything now" requires a surcharge. Right Tex?
You know I'm cheap and even if you work fast, I still expected it faster.

Boudica

Got my only good recent hire off indeed. Young, no GED, ready to work for actual minimum wage. He moved up rapidly after showing initiative and getting his GED with a raise incentive. Anyway, real uncommon in my experience hiring ged free guys, but that may be a positive mark for indeed.

Don't worry, I'm sure he prefers them drunk and easy. Ever been to FL?
I found my current career (job) through indeed.

Notarealsignguy

Got my only good recent hire off indeed. Young, no GED, ready to work for actual minimum wage. He moved up rapidly after showing initiative and getting his GED with a raise incentive. Anyway, real uncommon in my experience hiring ged free guys, but that may be a positive mark for indeed.

That the one who can't figure out how to apply transfer tape or was that question for you?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Better than the methed up and pregnant in Arkansas