• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any ideas on a help wanted ad?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think wheaties are for sissies nowadays.

Would you be interested in a 28 year old person who cannot figure out which bathroom to use, but can write their name in adorable cursive in the snow...... provided you had snow down there. ?? Just imagine the snow part. Write it in the sand if you need a positive concrete image. SHeeSH..............................

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I think wheaties are for sissies nowadays.

Would you be interested in a 28 year old person who cannot figure out which bathroom to use, but can write their name in adorable cursive in the snow...... provided you had snow down there. ?? Just imagine the snow part. Write it in the sand if you need a positive concrete image. SHeeSH..............................
Warm body with a pulse that will show up at least 4 days a week? That's 95% of what I look for.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Try waiting outside of walmart and pick a few winners out. Just don't pick up the little girls or you'll be pinched.

mim

0_o
Sounds like my role. I was hired with no experience in the sign business and learned everything within the first year and would say I'm a strong employee now. I have a BFA in digital illustration and I used to work in a woodshop so I already knew how to take measurements and use some tools. Maybe include some of those aspects as a prerequisite. The applicant def doesn't ~need~ an art degree though (for anything) lol

garyroy

It would be great if you could find a kid coming out of High School locally.
You know, an industrial arts type of kid. Not college material but the kind that likes to work with their hands, make things, fix things.
Maybe ask the guidance counselor or one of the vocational teahcers.
Just an idea.
You know, Entry Level, "Earn while you learn":cool:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
It would be great if you could find a kid coming out of High School locally.
You know, an industrial arts type of kid. Not college material but the kind that likes to work with their hands, make things, fix things.
Maybe ask the guidance counselor or one of the vocational teahcers.
Just an idea.
You know, Entry Level, "Earn while you learn":cool:
They've got to have some experience with design software, and know how to trace labels, and lay out a basic sign.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was thinking about this post over the weekend. I had a customer last week ask me if I was hiring. Her grandson teenager has a plotter at home and dabbles with graphics. Considering my other kid quit for Walmart and my son has no interest, and his own summer job, I think I should talk with him. It would be nice to have someone who has some knowledge with weeding and I would assume he's probably dabbled in with some light installation.

When I do trailer or vehicle installs I typically have the kid go ahead of me and do surface prep. Next I like to have a helping hand in lining the graphics up and while I'm squeegeeing, the kid can start to line up on the other side using the measurements from side one, then remove the masking from side 1 while I fine tune the measurements on side 2 then help me squeegee side 2, remove masking, final wipe down, etc. The kid I had could not read a tape measure and zero confidence in taping anything up. He could not make decision without me standing there which defeated the purpose. I would tell him, "just get the graphics close..." after about 15 minutes I would go over there, thinking he would have them up (because what was he doing to for the last 15 minutes?) nope. He was just fiddling around with the tape measure pretending to do something, which was nothing. Even when he took out the cardboard for recycling, I told him just cut the tape on the boxes, fold them and jam them in the can, only cut them down to make them fit. After 20 minutes I would check on him (because again, what is he doing for 15 minutes?) - he's tearing each box and each roll down to 6" squares with his hands, didn't even use the knife. In his defense, he was a very good cleaner, good with bookwork and a nice conversationalist. He did lend a helping hand but just could not do anything on his own.

Finding someone with some common sense who has the basic concept of "measuring" and using a tape measure is harder than a person would think.

Notarealsignguy

I was thinking about this post over the weekend. I had a customer last week ask me if I was hiring. Her grandson teenager has a plotter at home and dabbles with graphics. Considering my other kid quit for Walmart and my son has no interest, and his own summer job, I think I should talk with him. It would be nice to have someone who has some knowledge with weeding and I would assume he's probably dabbled in with some light installation.

When I do trailer or vehicle installs I typically have the kid go ahead of me and do surface prep. Next I like to have a helping hand in lining the graphics up and while I'm squeegeeing, the kid can start to line up on the other side using the measurements from side one, then remove the masking from side 1 while I fine tune the measurements on side 2 then help me squeegee side 2, remove masking, final wipe down, etc. The kid I had could not read a tape measure and zero confidence in taping anything up. He could not make decision without me standing there which defeated the purpose. I would tell him, "just get the graphics close..." after about 15 minutes I would go over there, thinking he would have them up (because what was he doing to for the last 15 minutes?) nope. He was just fiddling around with the tape measure pretending to do something, which was nothing. Even when he took out the cardboard for recycling, I told him just cut the tape on the boxes, fold them and jam them in the can, only cut them down to make them fit. After 20 minutes I would check on him (because again, what is he doing for 15 minutes?) - he's tearing each box and each roll down to 6" squares with his hands, didn't even use the knife. In his defense, he was a very good cleaner, good with bookwork and a nice conversationalist. He did lend a helping hand but just could not do anything on his own.

Finding someone with some common sense who has the basic concept of "measuring" and using a tape measure is harder than a person would think.
Reading a tape measure is a special skill. I was up in the scissor lift putting on siding and told the guy to measure something, 2 of these idiots were sitting there staring at it trying to figure out the measurement. There is a reason they call the side you read the smart end.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Find someone who wears carpenter pants.
I think I need to start wearing chaps. (like Notarealsignguy). I was working in my shop in cargo shorts and had my closed Olfa snap knife in the front pocket. I wasn't working on sign stuff but I always carry my knife.
I was building a winch bumper for a truck and I squatted to weld down low and my (well-earned) gut somehow pushed the blade open and it proceeded to stick out through the pocket. I discovered this by sliding my elbow across the tip. Didn't really hurt so I only noticed when I saw what looked like transmission fluid on the floor. In all the time I have been doing graphics this was the stupidest self-stab I have ever done. Figure it is time to get in shape or get some cowhide between me and my blade.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Reading a tape measure is a special skill. I was up in the scissor lift putting on siding and told the guy to measure something, 2 of these idiots were sitting there staring at it trying to figure out the measurement. There is a reason they call the side you read the smart end.
I suppose you are right. I was scared into learning how to read a tape measure and other boy things. My Dad had no sons and even less patience for idiots. Do it or listen to the wrath of made up swear words LOL

Notarealsignguy

I suppose you are right. I was scared into learning how to read a tape measure and other boy things. My Dad had no sons and even less patience for idiots. Do it or listen to the wrath of made up swear words LOL
I'm not sympathetic to people that can't read a tape measure. No patience either so hiring someone that I have to train is not really in the cards right now.

Notarealsignguy

I think I need to start wearing chaps. (like Notarealsignguy). I was working in my shop in cargo shorts and had my closed Olfa snap knife in the front pocket. I wasn't working on sign stuff but I always carry my knife.
I was building a winch bumper for a truck and I squatted to weld down low and my (well-earned) gut somehow pushed the blade open and it proceeded to stick out through the pocket. I discovered this by sliding my elbow across the tip. Didn't really hurt so I only noticed when I saw what looked like transmission fluid on the floor. In all the time I have been doing graphics this was the stupidest self-stab I have ever done. Figure it is time to get in shape or get some cowhide between me and my blade.
You worked hard for that gut, I vote chaps and suspenders.

Johnny Best

People are looking for reading tape measures, weeding vinyl, common sense, and leather chaps, and now a scale rule! Good luck with that. They pay Biden to be president $250,000 a year, and the guy can barely get through a sentence. He could read a tape measure but it would have to be on a teleprompter.