• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Any ideas on this one..................... ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I looked at this sign about 7 months ago.

The laminate was somewhat droopy, but only about an inch or so. Took this picture yesterday and now, it's dropped about 5 or so more inches.... and only at one end and on one side. We didn't make the sign, but they wanted to know if we could fix it ?? I told them, I cannot fix someone else's mistake such as this, other than by replacing it completely. They're upset, but the original shop is outta business. (I pictured our taking the sign down, just the other day for the other shop.)

Anyway, for my own curiosity, what would cause such an uneven falling and failing of the laminate ?? I'm sure the wrong laminate was matched up, but why so uneven ?? t's only a little over a year old.

falling lam.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's sleepy. Maybe moisture wicking from the back and a water based adhesive, could be a removable clear and not even laminate at all. Looks moldy on the face where the laminate already fell

Johnny Best

By the look of the rigidity and thickness of that film. It is probably a polycarbonate film (lexan) and being in hot weather has slid. Not really a good exterior solution for a overlam. Probably old material and lost it's adhesive properties.
Needs a good cast overlam next time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's not mold. All the stickiness stayed behind and everything like bugs, grass, pollen and other sh!t just stuck to it.

Also, it's no at all rigid like a poly. It's definitely some kinda inferior laminate. It's just falling straight down. If you touched it, it's like frickin' fly paper, just not old, brittle and yellow.​

De.signs Nanaimo

you could in theory pull off the old laminate, it looks like it would come off easily, then clean and apply a new clear layer over that, but an all new sign would be the best.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not me. I ain't putting a bandaid on someone else's crap. I'm getting paid to make a whole new sign over and laminate it properly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I dunno, kinda why I asked. I'll be bringing it in here in a few weeks, but I'm not wasting more than 5 minutes on it. Then, it's chop-chop to the dumpster we go.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Any pictures ??

So, on this one, the side facing northwest is totally intact, but the side facing southeast has been slipping off but from one end only. Seems odd, how one end of the bad side has let go, but not the other, while the entire other side has stayed totally in place. Anyway, it still looks bad, so we're replace the entire sign, along with many other sides both exterior and interior around the place.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Any pictures ??

So, on this one, the side facing northwest is totally intact, but the side facing southeast has been slipping off but from one end only. Seems odd, how one end of the bad side has let go, but not the other, while the entire other side has stayed totally in place. Anyway, it still looks bad, so we're replace the entire sign, along with many other sides both exterior and interior around the place.
Here you go:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QeTfSB1thy4MeTV97
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8q8Tq22rBj8KLxJB8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Bs9R4TV7PrNR4VY9