• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any RC Flyers here?

Deaton Design

I have always wanted to learn to fly a RC plane. I have a nephew who is very good, but stays busy with his job. Was thinking of buying the Waco Biplane RTF from Hobby Lobby. It lists as a intermediate plane, but my nephew (hopefully) can help me out with some lessons or whatever. Any of you guys fly, or know about this particular plane? Heres the lisiting for it.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/waco_3878_prd1.htm

TresL

We do ground RC maily, but FLY a little.
Hobby zone has a some great easy to fly planes, which are easy to get parts for.(Trust me, I know)

I buy most of my product through a shop in Owensboro.

2Piece

Good Day John,
Not sure it is a good idea to start out with a biplane. Pick out a nice high wing trainer to start with then advance to the Waco. High wing a preferably flat bottom airfoil wing provides additional stabilty- which is a good thing when you are learning.
Gary

signmeup

I used to manufacture a line of R/C plane kits. My advice is to buy or search out a free r/c flight simulator. There are some very good ones now a days. Then get a high wing trainer and see how you make out. Most r/c clubs have a "wings" program and will teach a beginner how to fly.

I fly. All good advise about the high wing trainer. Don't start with anything but and please don't try to teach yourself. I'll also add, join a local club. Most clubs have training nites and qualified flight instructors that will teach you the right way to fly. It's not hard to learn, but it does take some time and regular practice before you're ready to solo. Look at some of the auto pilot systems. They work and will help you through the learning process once you are cleared to solo. We installed one on my trainer and actually landed it hands off with the transmitter laying on the ground. (don't try this at home).

The hobby is a blast. Some of the best model builders I know are very good artists as well.

Glad to help with this anytime. PM me if you want more assistance.

rambo555

I learned to fly a rc plane with the Hobbico unit. At the time, it came with a version of Real Flight that had the Hobbico plane. That was great as you used your own controller that you will use in real flight to fly the simulator. It is a very nice plane to start with. It has a sensor that when you release the controls, it returns itself to an upright position. That's a great fail safe feature! Here is the URL for the plane.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEXK2**&P=0

Mark Your Space

My brother owns a company that sells RC equipment.

If you give them a call they will steer you in the right direction at very reasonable prices. I myself don't fly but they do. They really are honest about what you need and won't upsell you into things you don't need.

http://www.allerc.com/

omgsideburns

I fly foamies/park flyer planes.. just light electrics. I learned on a larger high wing gas trainers but I really like electrics. It's just easier.

Look for a GWS Slow Stick.. they are great to learn on, parts are cheap, and they can handle most crashes without damage (put a prop saver on and you usually won't even break a prop!). Me and a few other guys actually dog fight with them.

Mark, I ordered a usb cord from there for my flight sim.. lol.

dynawg

rcboats flies as well, and he got me into it. Lots of good advice above as well. I started on a GWS slow-stick after many hours with a simulator. I also joined a local club and got lots of help from them. Just make sure you have room for all the planes you will end up with!

Cheers & Merry Christmas to you as well!
Bob

ProWraps

thats allotta plane to start with. will be very hard to fly for a beginner, training or not. like mentioned above, start with a .40 size high wing. tower hobbies has their rtf trainer really cheap, and its dihedral wing will teach you to fly hands off.

Cadmn

Ok just got email about this thread find someone willing to buddy box you or you will spend a fortune crashing planes. most clubs have people willing to train. the Hobby places make it sound sooo easy "buy this & fly " no "buy this & we can sell you lots more" I know a shop that was selling people jet style planes to train on & at 3 grand each it was good for a while. the foamies like a " cub" is fairly easy to fly Texas rcplanes offers a trainer for like 70 bux

Cadmn

I learned to fly a rc plane with the Hobbico unit. At the time, it came with a version of Real Flight that had the Hobbico plane. That was great as you used your own controller that you will use in real flight to fly the simulator. It is a very nice plane to start with. It has a sensor that when you release the controls, it returns itself to an upright position. That's a great fail safe feature! Here is the URL for the plane.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEXK2**&P=0
that upright thingy works on the Sunlight & if your close to a lake it will make your life miserable don't ask how I KNOW:)

Conor Knoxx

ah, the buddy box system!
just about the best idea ever invented for learning to fly RC's.

In case you don't know...
its a system of linking two radios together, so your instructor can pass / take control of the plane at the flip of a thumb-switch. Very cool! and makes learning a whole ton less expensive lol!

waaaaay back when I learned, my "instructor" and I used to hand the radio back and forth...

so of course, being young and over-confident...
too many times I'd quickly hand the radio back when the plane was nose-straight-down, heading straight into the ground like a ballistic missile at 100 mph... "HERE! You better take this now!" lol... :omg2:

I haven't flown in quite a few years, but have very fond memories.. a great sport indeed!

Deaton Design

I actually have a nephew who is a great flyer, and the guy that runs the woodshop that cuts my mdo for me is a very experienced flyer. Ill talk to them both about training me. I knew about the buddy system, as my nephew used to teach young flyers. Just didnt think of it. Thanks again guys!

Cadmn

conor LMAO buddy of mine has scar from trying to get a box from a "student" He asked several times had his hands in position then all of a sudden the student shoves the box to him poking one of the switches into his hand "Ouch"

Dan Antonelli

I used to fly alot, but havent in years. But I started with 2 channel gliders, then 'graduated' to 4/5 channel. I probably flew from age 10 to 24 or so, mainly with my Dad who used to scratch build everything. I always flew his planes, and thankfully never planted any of them. When he died, I stopped flying. Still have all his planes - sadly they are collecting dust in my Mom's house.

Cadmn

I've planted several planes Dan & none of them have ever grown for me I watered , fertilised & everything but no luck growing them :)