• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Any Suggestions on Laminators

cwatson390

cwatson390
With Royal Sovereign closing its doors my company needs to purchase a new laminator. Right now, we have a RSL-1402cw/sp. We mainly do street signs and 50/50 window perf. on our buses that would need laminating.

I'm personally newish to sign making and would love any feedback I can get!

Thank you in advance!!!

signheremd

A cold lamination table is very useful. Like this Cut Work Table: https://cwtworktools.com/
You can use it to cold laminate, marry multiple colors of vinyl, apply vinyl to all sorts of flat substrates including reverse weeded vinyl onto acrylic sign faces with no bubbles.

Rmurray321

This is the one I have and I’ve been impressed with it. It’s out of stock, but for the most part they’re all the same basic design. Even came with a spare heating element!

somcalmetim

Got a Chinezium "Auto-Laminator" from TG Graphics up here that I like way better than any of the Royals Sovs I have used...it is quite a bit shallower in depth (stand a bit more upright), air powered and has a better take up roller...
That being said TG just sold to Spicers up here so not even sure how you would find one the same brand name as it doesn't really seem to have one...it just says AUTO-LAMINATOR on the side with a 1.5 page manual in Chinese.

somcalmetim

This is the one I have and I’ve been impressed with it. It’s out of stock, but for the most part they’re all the same basic design. Even came with a spare heating element!

Look a bit different but mine is same basic layout, I like the take up roller and how its stacks more vertically so its a lot shallower in depth and takes up less space than the Royal Sovs...mine also came with extra rods and a cheap but still functioning compressor.

MikePro

my Seal laminator has been kicking ass for a decade now. I would definitely go with them again when we need a new one.

i have a CWT worktable, but i wouldn't rely on it for lamination. I've done it, but we mostly use the table for cutting graphics and those blademarks in the surface sometimes translate to imperfection in the laminate. ....not to mention being nearly impossible to keep 100% dust-free like you could using a regular roll to roll laminator in a smaller controlled envirement like an office.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
GFP (Graphic Finishing Partners) laminators hands down - these are the only we'll sell - quality-made in the USA.
They have fantastic tutorial videos on their website: both for learning how to laminate and on their specific models
Are you sure they are made in the USA? They look like Chinese machines.

cwatson390

cwatson390
Thank you so much everyone!! I'll check them all out, get some quotes and I'll post back with what we decide to go with.

Again, thanks for all the help!!!

victor bogdanov

I just received this on Friday, will set up in a few days and report back

Looks very good quality so far

https://www.hotlaminator.cn/LF1700-D1.html

Under $3k delivered. There are some companies rebranding this and selling for $7k

1.png

nsm

Not sure of what your budget is but many of my customers and shops I have visited run AGL. Factory is not too far from me either though never been. I believe they are on the pricey side though.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a good laminator. Nothing other than Kala or Seal should be considered. I've sold thousands of laminators in my career and the vast majority of them are still running everyday, all day. Nobody wants to spend $10K-$16K on a laminator but when you realize the right laminator is going to last you 10-20 years, it is a really solid investment. I can't count how many times people went with a cheap laminator and then a few years later called me up and then bought a Kala or Seal.

ikarasu

We've had our seal for about 12 years. If someone didn't run a knife through it taking out a big chunk it would still be usable..

That said I also have a Royal sovereign, been using it for 6 years and it's still works just as good. We bought the cheaper version with the thin roller... So I never considered it as good as the seal, wasn't as fast and there was a slight drift compared to the seal.

We're finally replacing our seal and getting the top end Royal sovereign. Supposed to be delivered at the end of this month...

This post got me worried so I had to ask, apparently the US branch is closing... The manufacturing branch and the Canadian branch is staying open, so if you are in Canada you can still buy Royal sovereign... At least for now. My understanding is only the US division is closing.

Which is weird, usually it's Canada that screwed because our population is like 10% of Americas. It wouldn't surprise me if whatever is going on get sorted out eventually and they just ship out of Canada to America in the future.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I'll say one more thing....the only real innovation in laminating in the last 20 years has come from Kala. They have the only system which self-levels the nip. You can run 150 feet of laminate perfectly straight...the take-up looks like a factory-cut roll. If you notice the material is starting to slide right or left you just stop, cut everything out, do the reset, and then you'll be back to perfectly parallel rollers. It's such a great machine for only $15K'sh depending on the model.

madone

With Royal Sovereign closing its doors my company needs to purchase a new laminator. Right now, we have a RSL-1402cw/sp. We mainly do street signs and 50/50 window perf. on our buses that would need laminating.

I'm personally newish to sign making and would love any feedback I can get!

Thank you in advance!!!
I have a RS that is junk, only use to piece laminate, bought a GFP and couldn't be happier!