• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody ever use 180C on ATV Plastics?

JAMEY

We regularly use 180C for some of our wraps on painted vehicles without a problem. We'll be printing the camo with our XC-540. We need to put camo on some ATV plastic and I was wondering if anybody here ever used 180C on a low energy plastic like that. I know it will stick...but for how long? For those that have, how did it hold up?

Convex is more for graphics kits and such and won't conform as nicely where we need it to.

I may opt out for Avery MPI 1005 EZ for the print and Avery DOL 1080 Matte Laminate if I need to. I hear that will stick well and hold up. Then there's the Substance media.

Decisions. Decisions.

Flame

I already know you aren't going to listen to me, but I'll say it anyways in attempt to save you trouble. Full wrapping an atv doesn't work. It peels up pretty easily. Throwing $ into a firepit is just about as productive.

JAMEY

I know. I told the customer this as well. We have a new hydro-dipping set up, but he can't wait for that. That would be the way to go by far.

formanek

I have used MPI 1005 and DOL 1360 on a full ATV wrap. All edges have to be sealed with edge sealer (liquid or tape) and primer is also a must. They have held up very well for me, but a pain in the butt with all the prep work and edge sealing. Make sure you charge!!!!!!!!

JAMEY

Did you sub out the priming or spray it yourself? You would need to use a flex agent unless you maybe used Krylon Fusion.

For matter, why not use a Krylon Fusion gloss with the Avery DOL 1380 matte laminate over some 3M 180C?

JAMEY

We sometimes prime the sharper inside contours and such. Will try it on the edges too though.

When you get the right heat...adhesion is usually spot on and won't pop back out on vehicles.

I don't want to buy a roll of matte cast laminate. I only need about 15 feet off a 48" roll tops. Feller's don't sell by the yard. How about spraying it?

JAMEY

I see what you mean. The sharper corners don't hold for squat without the primer. The primer is a must. This is the rear. One piece or wrap.

IMAG0077.jpg

The bottoms and any yellow you see will be done in Krylon Fusion black by the customer.

Next time...I'll be hydro-dipping these kind. Not worth my time to wrap them. The front fender was 10 times as hard. Even 3 piecing it.

CES020

Don't they get about $1 per sq. inch for hydrodripping? If so, that's going to be a very expensive part to dip. Try the stuff made for it, like Substance. They will send you a sample with the laminate as well.

JAMEY

Don't they get about $1 per sq. inch for hydrodripping? If so, that's going to be a very expensive part to dip. Try the stuff made for it, like Substance. They will send you a sample with the laminate as well.

That job is a $650 dollar hydro-dip.

I am going to get a hold of Substance and see if they will send me some samples. How well does it conform compared to 180C? Also...do you still have to prime the inside corners like you to the 180C? Once we put the 180C down on those primed areas, we are committed! It's stuck!

heyskull

Substance is like Convex material which is used for low energy PVC panels on ATV and MotoX machines.
But I firmly believe you will not be able to complete wrap with it as once the laminate is applied to the material it is a lot thicker than wrap material.
I do not think their is a self adhesive vinyl that will be completely conformable on these sorts of panels.

SC

JAMEY

Yeah. I figured that. I want the samples for graphics kits. I need to see if it is more cost efficient for me to use convex or substance.

Wrapping another ATV...heck no. I'll hydro-dip it if anything. It wasn't really worth my time and I don't think it will hold up long. I told my customer that from the beginning.

Quality vs Cost

Yeah. I figured that. I want the samples for graphics kits. I need to see if it is more cost efficient for me to use convex or substance.

Wrapping another ATV...heck no. I'll hydro-dip it if anything. It wasn't really worth my time and I don't think it will hold up long. I told my customer that from the beginning.

We have new Convex kits (with laminates) that offer reduced prices. And we have 4 different base materials from which to choose from, depending on how well you want it to stick, and what your budget is. We even have short roll kits for those one-off jobs. There are reasons why Convex competitors are cheaper. They simply cut corners. Beware of shelf life... Need I say, You get what you pay for?

For more information, you can visit our updated website: www.convexvinyl.com

Or call us at 800-232-8018. We look forward to helping you.

Doug Goodloe