• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody use a BAZOOKA

OneUpTenn

Okay so my internet connection is so ghetto... its a long story but the bottom line is my shop is 200 feet from my house (maybe more) and the only way I can get my internet connection to network to my shop is by sticking the router (literally with packing tape) to the window at my house and the receiver sticks to my window at the shop which connects to my PC. Someone told me about a "bazooka" thing that is supposed to go in the middle of these two things and boost the signal like crazy.

Does anybody use one of these if so where did you get it and how good does it do? Every time it rains or is real windy my connection is extremely slow.

Bogie

It's basically a directional antenna. You'll still have problems if your line of sight gets garbaged up.

Now, this is a little ghetto, but you may want to just run a 200' cable. Doesn't have to be pretty - just has to be - and you can do a lot to hide 'em...

OneUpTenn

Its funny but the technician who set it up suggested what bogie said but we have sooo much rock out here and a metal fence and all kinds of stuff that might interfere. If I could just buy something that sits on a table that would be much easier.

jayg76

Cat5

Bogie, that probably wouldn't work. You would most likely loose packets running a cat5 or cat6 cable that far.

The max length cat5 is reliable to is 364 feet, I have done longer (albeit not much longer) and have had no problems.

EDIT, sorry it's 100 Meters (google calc says that is 328 feet)

Last edited:

cdiesel

I'd expect it to be okay over that distance.. our new shop will have runs that long, and it's not THAT big of a place.

harrisgraphix

Best Buy has a few different signal boosters, We paid 100 for ours and it reaches well over 200 ft. even more if theres not a few walls in between. It also works as an antenna for wireless, it just plugs into the usb port and there you go

jiarby

100 meters for cat5...

but I have done wireless installations using directional antennas on both ends over distances like this easily.

It'll cost about 30-40bucks for each side.

jayg76

If you are doing a wireless connection in your business, for the love of pete...... make sure it's encrypted.

This goes for home users too.

OneUpTenn

I already have the best that BEST BUY offers and that is what I am using right now. Guess I need something in between to boost it. It may be more like 250 feet.