• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone else been extorted?

player

^ Nice... It says "Infected users should check in the Application Data > Application Data > Microsoft > Crypto > RSA folder of their PCs for the private key."

DravidDavid

^ Nice... It says "Infected users should check in the Application Data > Application Data > Microsoft > Crypto > RSA folder of their PCs for the private key."

Hmmm, this bug in particular may have been resolved since that article was posted, which was April last year. :(

Ditchmiester

To help combat these email attacks. We just implemented Barracuda Email Security Service. basically you route your email through there spam filter and it pulls out all of the crap and delivers the rest to you. This works much better than the junk filters built into outlook or gmail because it is never delivered to your mail client making it impossible for someone to accidentally open. For up to 50 users its under 400 a year which to me is worth it to not ever have to go through what the OP has gone through.

SignManiac

+1 for Barracuda. Using it for years now. And I also have three other back up sources. Server, internal backup drives and external drives. Plus all photo's now automatically uploaded to drop box. Yeah I'm paranoid.

David Wright

Customer of ours who has a pest control company just got all their files encrypted and a demand for $2000. They do have a backup on the second hard drive in the computer:banghead:

16 years of records and credit card files on hundreds of customers. They don' t even know who owes them money now.

Last I heard they are paying $75 an hour to computer techs to no avail. Next is someone who says he has experience with this. Probably throwing away more money until they finally pay.