• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone else using Google Apps for email etc?

Doyle

I have been wanting to try out Gmail, but didn't like the idea of having a @gmail.com address (I like to use my own domain address). Well, I discovered Google Apps, WOW! I love Gmail. Google Apps lets you use your own domain name, as well as a host of other features, but using my own domain name on Gmail is worth the $50/yr to me.

I am using Labels/Filters to organize my inbox by customer/projects/etc. and I have successfully transferred ALL of my old email from Outlook (been using outlook for about 5 years, and didn't want to lose all of my old emails). I now have ALL of my archived Outlook email stored on Gmail, sweet! I can access all of my emails anywhere I have an internet connection, including my blackberry. This includes all sent mail, archived mail, etc....

Is anyone else using this?? If not, check it out, I cannot believe I haven't tried this before.:rock-n-roll:

Victor Scott

I think that Google Apps is great. I am a tech guy and what you get from Google Apps is great considering that it is free. It can easily be used to run a small to medium size company. They will host your email for free and I have used it for document and information sharing, team collaboration, etc.

If anyone needs basic guidance on how to use or sign up for Google Apps, just let me know. Of course, you have to own and control your Internet domain name and be willing to switch your email to Google mail.

Victor Scott
SignsMadeOnline.com

Victor Scott

I forgot to mention that the "standard" edition is free and will handle most of your needs. I have never used the premium edition (I never saw the need); however, at $50 a year, I am sure it is worth it.

Victor Scott
SignsMadeOnline.com

Victor Scott

Doyle,

Actually, that is not true. If you click "Standard Edition", you can enter and use your domain name. Google just does a good job of presenting you with the $50 option first :).

I use Google Apps for over 20 domains and never paid anything.

Regards,
Victor Scott
SignsMadeOnline.com

legacyborn

I have used google apps since the day it came out. I use it with all of my domains and I love every little bit about it. All of our non-sensitive documents are worked on through google docs and allows my partners and I to work from home when need be. I recommend it to each of my customers when the opportunity presents itself and I have even set it up for a few of my website clients.

It does require the use of an FTP (if I remember correctly, it's been a while) and/or access to your cpanel (or equivilent) but overall the instructions are pretty easy to follow. (again, if I remember correctly)

I absolutly love it and have found nothing free/inexpensive that would replace it.

Kevin-shopVOX

I love google apps...free is my favorite part and i've never seen a major need for more than the standard edition. The collaboration feature is one of my favorite features. Openoffice.org is another suite that allows all the goodies for spreadsheets, pdf, powerpoints etc. without having to dish out moolah. Mozilla Thunderbird is a nice FREE email client and Mozilla Gspace plugin is sweet for web storage space. it actually uses the gmail storage space. I'm a big fan of anything that's free and typically is better than the stuff we pay for.

Doyle

Doyle,

Actually, that is not true. If you click "Standard Edition", you can enter and use your domain name. Google just does a good job of presenting you with the $50 option first :).

Wow, I am really glad you pointed that out to me, I feel like a real idiot. I notice that the "standard" edition is ad supported, and you get a much smaller storage allowance. I wish I could have tried the standard FIRST, then tried the free trial for the premier. Guess I will downgrade and see how I like it.

Thank you!!!!

Craig Sjoquist

been using gmail since it began .... the only email I use regularly you can read and send email easly, and storage wow sorts most of the spam out ... it's just plain a comfort to use gmail

Doyle

What is the storage limit with the standard version for email?

7330 MB for standard, 25 gigs for premier. In 5 years of email, I only have about 400 MB that I imported. Rarely does anyone email me a file larger than 10 mb, so I think the 7330 mb will probably do for me for quite a while.

I was a sworn outlook user for a long time, but I find it really nice that I can see all of my emails no matter where I am. If I want to look up a quote that I emailed 2 years ago, I can open the gmail app on my blackberry, and search my old emails and find it right away. The search function on the web is very nice too, much faster than my outlook search ever was.

And as for the Labels/Filters, here is how I set mine up:

I created LABELS (color-coded and very easy to isolate all of similar labels) for each of my large accounts/customers and for other emails that I would like to located quickly in the future. Then I created FILTERS which selects mail in your inbox and performs actions automatically (such as apply labels, etc).

For example, lets say that Bob's Plumbing is a regular customer of yours and you are constantly looking back to your email correspondence with him and his wife regarding the jobs you are doing for him. You could setup a label called Bob's Plumbing in Gmail. You could then setup a filter for Bob's email address and his wife's email address which will automatically apply the label Bob's Plumbing to all of your correspondence with them. You can also setup filters for lots of other things, such as the subject line, from, to, has attachment, contains, doesn't contain.

I am still in the experimental stages of this, but so far, I am 100% sure that I will never use outlook for email ever again. And now that I know that it doesn't cost $50/yr I am even more excited about it. Really, the email is just a small part of the Google Apps features.

omgsideburns

I use Gmail email addresses, but they are through my own domain.. they have the best spam filters ever, i can access them through my phone or any computer.. it's convenient.

The free way is I just have all of my emails forward from my webhost to gmail, and then my gmail is set to reply where it looks like it came from my domain address.. I've been doing it since before they started offering that new stuff.

Ok, I am getting this deal here and I have a domain... It is very difficult to understand all of this. Is there a tutorial or any way to explain this. This is overwelming for me!!!