• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone had heads replaced on a S80600?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Square footage probably doesn’t mean much, your best bet would be drop count so you can actually see how much ink has went through the head

CanuckSigns

We had 1 replaced under warranty just before the 1 year mark, our printer doesn't run all the time, but we got a fair bit of work out of it. Also ours was a dealer demo machine and was used in the showroom for about 6 months before we got it, and who knows how well they treated it.

MJDallas

One of our S60600 print heads (right) went bad in between jobs (it had been stopped for maybe 5 minutes max)... One moment it was printing just fine- then we received Error code 1A39. The tech came out to check and this error means it could have been a number of issues. We tried replacing the board before breaking the seal on the new cartridge- Didn't work. We Then opened up the new cartridge and replaced the right head first- all of a sudden it started working and the error cleared. $2,700ish later, the printer was up and running.

NOTE- we did not have the service plan on the printer. Never in my right mind would I have thought the heads would have gone out this fast on what I would consider a light use printer (averages 1-2 rolls of vinyl a month). Even the tech was surprised at this. I submitted this through our business insurance and they paid the bill. With that in mind, no need for us to pay $2-3k/yr for the service plan, especially when we have a $500 deductible on business equipment.

Overall, I really love the printer, however, I am disappointed that the head went bad. It should have lasted much longer.

Attachments

• IMG_5676.jpg
    IMG_5676.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 613
  • IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 406

klingsdesigns

One of our S60600 print heads (right) went bad in between jobs (it had been stopped for maybe 5 minutes max)... One moment it was printing just fine- then we received Error code 1A39. The tech came out to check and this error means it could have been a number of issues. We tried replacing the board before breaking the seal on the new cartridge- Didn't work. We Then opened up the new cartridge and replaced the right head first- all of a sudden it started working and the error cleared. $2,700ish later, the printer was up and running.

NOTE- we did not have the service plan on the printer. Never in my right mind would I have thought the heads would have gone out this fast on what I would consider a light use printer (averages 1-2 rolls of vinyl a month). Even the tech was surprised at this. I submitted this through our business insurance and they paid the bill. With that in mind, no need for us to pay $2-3k/yr for the service plan, especially when we have a $500 deductible on business equipment.

Overall, I really love the printer, however, I am disappointed that the head went bad. It should have lasted much longer.

Just wanted to say thanks about posting the insurance thing. I contacted my insurance and they replaced my head today. Saved me some money so thanks.

klingsdesigns

I might get a year of extended warranty $2250. Might be worth it. Not sure my insurance will keep paying to fix it in the future.

ProColorGraphics

I just had the same error on my S80. Replaced one and it worked, then lost a channel totally on the other head. End up replacing them both, $4400 later. haha. Mine is 4 years old.

netsol

none of my business, to be sure, but how is print head replacement an insurance matter?
do you submit a claim when the car needs new tires?

CanuckSigns

none of my business, to be sure, but how is print head replacement an insurance matter?
do you submit a claim when the car needs new tires?
I was wondering that myself, gotta be careful, if you use up your forgiven claim on a $2000 print head then when you actually need to real claim your rates will go through the roof!

Flint Sign & Neon

Same thing with our s8060. Exceptional care, light use, clean room brand new printer. Roller windup motor went bad right before the year 1 Mark. Head went bad right before the year 2 mark. Forcing us shit our pants every year right before the warranty runs to buy an additional year two years in a row

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
WHY are these heads so unreliable?

Most people get 3 to 5 years out of a head. People who get less usually either have bad maintenance practices, are using non-oem ink, allow the printer to head strike too much, are operating in an improper environment, or are just plain unlucky. In my experience, if you are using dye sub ink, the head life is more like 1 to 2 years. So there are a lot of variables that change head life.

MJDallas

Intere
Most people get 3 to 5 years out of a head. People who get less usually either have bad maintenance practices, are using non-oem ink, allow the printer to head strike too much, are operating in an improper environment, or are just plain unlucky. In my experience, if you are using dye sub ink, the head life is more like 1 to 2 years. So there are a lot of variables that change head life.

Thanks for that info. So, I have only seen our heads strike 1-2 times and I perform the head maintenance usually right when the printer requests it. We also have only ever used OEM ink. With the printer being 12-18 months old when the head went out just plain irritates me. Especially the fact that they are $2k a piece is absurd. I also checked the manual about the environment and we are within the temperatures. The print room stays at a minimum of 60 degrees for the printer and usually hovers at 50% humidity.

As far as the insurance goes- we pay for equipment failure as part of our premium- hence why we claim it there vs paying for the Epson plan... If the Epson plan was $500/yr and not $2k or $3k (I can't remember how much)- then we would pay for it. The fact that they expect a print head to go out every year should say something to the known lifespan of them. In the plan documents, they mention how many print heads you get a year which is suspicious to me (in regards to the reliability of the heads). Of course, they cover other parts as well- but the heads are specifically mentioned.