• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone printing clear decals? What Printer is best for you?

blacknbart

Looking for options!! I love the HP Latex's they have been fixing tons of issue's, but they just can't get them to print white. Do I have to go to a Flatbed to print this color? What are you using?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
What is the application where you need white? I think machines that do white make the best backlit graphics for sure! You don't have to go flatbed, there are a few machines that are roll to roll with white ink. Mimaki and Roland have them for sure. I would look at the true cost to do white ink so you make sure your applications are still profitable also. Do you have a lot of work for white?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We do a good amount of prints on clear and also use the white ink for other things. We use Epson SureColor Eco-Solvent printers. They do a great job for us.
HOWEVER, we still have yet to use the (other, optional) metallic ink for any retail job.

Fares Bayazeed

latbed is best. UV Curable Ink most logical. Especially on the glossy surface always associated with clear.Low Volume? - research the Gerber Edge.

altereddezignz

I know this i off topic but can you tell me what printer you use? We just purchased one.

We do a good amount of prints on clear and also use the white ink for other things. We use Epson SureColor Eco-Solvent printers. They do a great job for us.
HOWEVER, we still have yet to use the (other, optional) metallic ink for any retail job.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know this i off topic but can you tell me what printer you use? We just purchased one.
The printers I am talking about above are Epson SureColor S70670 and an Epson SureColor S70675. We also have Gerber Edge Thermal printers which do a fair amount of printing on white also.

Tim Aucoin

The only white I can do is with the Gerber Edge FX... if it's decals and small stuff you're looking for, then you can't beat the quality of white that the Gerber does.

boxerbay

We run a CET Q-1000h with white.

Unless you have a boatload of white work i wouldnt base my choice of printers solely on that. Outsource your white work until you have plenty of orders for it.

lgroth

Two of our machines print white... Fujifilm Acuity X-2 flatbed and a Roland XR640 roll. The flatbed is far superior for white ink! Better coverage, more opaque than the Roland, flatbed has closed ink system so when the white ink circulates it's not all going in a waste bucket. We use white daily, For overall CMYK print quality I love my Roland, for jobs requiring white I'll go to the Acuity first.

blacknbart

Wow!! Thanks guys for the input. Currently I do get requests for clear decals, but not a ton. People are use to getting silkscreen clear decals and figure I can make that happen with my equipment. I have used a Edge printer as well I seen a couple flatbeds in action. These companies are finding some ways to make this print color possible.

theyllek

I realize I'm a little late to the party but came across this thread while looking into an issue on the FB700

I print clear cling decals monthly using Fuji's Acuity LED 1600, (roughly 550 square feet worth each time). The only problem I've had with it, is when switching white ink cartridges I would have to do a subtank maintenance and fight to get the print quality on the white back. I've been able to solve most of that by swapping it out sooner than I usually do with all the other colors. It leaves behind more ink in the pouch, but far less than having to do at least one subtank maintenance, followed by repeated purging, not to mention the time lost. The other upside to the Acuity is that it has a dedicated white head! You do not loose light cyan and light magenta to print white.