• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone using a Colex and Onyx?

SE SignSupply

We are having issues with the cut path getting shifted off the correct location when printing to our AGFA printers and trying to cut on our Colex.

We place the cut lines on the artwork then bring it into Onyx Thrive. From there we tell it we are cutting on the Colex Sharpcut. The file prints fine through Trive, with the registration marks. We then import the .oxf file generated by CutServer into OptiScout, the machine will find the marks but the cut path, but when the machine cuts, is shifted off about 1/2". We know the machine works properly because we are able to accurately cut the sample files provided by Colex. It seems to be a issue with CutServer.

Anyone have any thoughts?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Not familiar with Colex, but are the sample files you're cutting using printed images with registration marks?

I know with our Summa flatbed we had that issue but the camera just had to be calibrated. Possibly similar to your issue?

SE SignSupply

Not familiar with Colex, but are the sample files you're cutting using printed images with registration marks?

I know with our Summa flatbed we had that issue but the camera just had to be calibrated. Possibly similar to your issue?
We know it's not the camera calibration as we can cut the sample file accurately that Colex provides. This sample file is a PDF with the marks already on it. We import that into Onyx, and print it. Then we take the same .pdf and bring it into the colex software and the cut is perfect. It seems that cut-server is the problem, just not sure how to fix it!

CanuckSigns

When we had our summa f1612 installed we had the same issue, turns out that installing the cutter drivers in onyx cut server somehow corrupted cut server (the same issue started happening with our graphtec f8600 at the same time)

We Uninstalled onyx, reinstalled and it fixed the issue

SE SignSupply

Bumping this one back up.

Anyone running a Colex through Onyx? Still having issues. I’m fairly certain it’s a Onyx issue but not having any luck. I’ve tried outputting with cut server in .xml (does not work at all) and .oxf which works but shifts the cuts.

Would gladly pay for a few minutes of anyone’s time who’s using Onyx cutserver and a Colex, successfully.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Call Onyx. Initially we had some issues with getting Colex and Onyx to work together. Onyx support was very helpful in getting us running.

SE SignSupply

If anyone stumbles across this in the future, here is the answer:

In Onyx cut-server, if you are using a Colex running OptiScout, you must set the output driver to "OptiScout". If you use the driver for "Colex Sharpcut" the cut will be shifted in both the x and y positions approximately 1/4".

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Flatbed Tools

Merchant Member
I would always suggest using the OptiScout driver in Onyx for the Colex, as that is the frontend software that sending the cutting data to the Colex.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
Onyx has updated drivers for sharpcut which can also use optiscout. Depending on the type of file your sending over of course.

Print1

Onyx is releasing version 21 which will resolve the prior Sharpcut Driver issues going forward.

Print1

In Onyx cut-server, if you are using a Colex running OptiScout, you must set the output driver to "OptiScout". If you use the driver for "Colex Sharpcut" the cut will be shifted in both the x and y positions approximately 1/4".

That depends on the driver from onyx not colex. Onyx has changed driver functionality multiple times.

Print1

That depends on the driver from onyx not colex. Onyx has changed driver functionality multiple times
Beautiful. Now ask the folks at Colex why their driver doesn't jive properly with the onyx/optiscout workflow, for their sake.
it’s been identified, the source is not on the colex side. Which is why onyx is updating drivers library.

CanuckSigns

That depends on the driver from onyx not colex. Onyx has changed driver functionality multiple times

it’s been identified, the source is not on the colex side. Which is why onyx is updating drivers library.
While it's great that Onyx has identified the issue, it still sucks that onyx will not retroactively fix this for older versions of their software, even for the last 1-2 versions would be good. Instead, they identify that they had an issue, then want $2500 to upgrade to fix it.

I sometimes think onyx intentionally leaves out fixes to some issues when they release a new version, just so they have something to hold over you the next time an upgrade comes out.

Print1

I just sent you a PM, lets see if we can work through which version you have.