• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Anyone using Method CRM alongside QBO?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We recently migrated from Quickbooks Desktop Pro to Quickbooks Online. I'll keep my rants/complaints to myself about that journey for now, but QBO's shortcomings have led me down a rabbit hole of exploring all the 3rd party add-ons that make up for said shortcomings. (More subscriptions.....yay!)

Anyways, I've come across Method CRM and signed up for 30 day trial. Integrates/syncs flawlessly with QBO and you can actually customize everything which is super nice. Not limited to Mickey Mouse features like QBO.

You can even create your own "apps" and workflows - that process really reminds me of Filemaker in terms of being a "no-code" solution.

There are some other cool features like customer portals where they can view/pay invoices etc. and also you have the ability (with some customizing) to have them view/approve proofs and proposals within there.

The whole interface is pretty slick and you can create as many apps as you want and it doesn't chance your pricing.

I never thought we needed a CRM, but the more I play with this, the more I like it. Our current CRM is a pile of sloppy notes on my desk and a long list of random texts on my personal cell phone, with the priority being whoever yells the loudest.

Their support is also really impressive so far - you can book as many free 30 min onboarding calls as you want, and get a 1 hour "customization" call included for free. (Gee.....this is starting to sound like a pitch)

To the point: Is anyone using this software, and even better yet, has anyone successfully created custom apps within it to help run their sign/print business smoother?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm going to have to check this out.
Yeah it's worth a look! I'm still trying to figure out if we really need/want it. The cost does add up once you add multiple users and plans but I think it could potentially help us streamline our orders from "opportunity" all the way to invoice and payment.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Monday morning bump!
i dont think many, if any will be using it here.
Most people veer off to trello etc. the big names
Or people would get a more sign dedicated software like shopvox or something like that.

But trials are great, at least you get to try before you buy.
if it works for you, that's great! if it doesn't, keep searching...

There's so many different software and integration out there.

We use Xero, and i know you can connect trello to xero. also hubspot, sales force. and heaps of others.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I will resist the dummied down QBO for as long as I possibly can. CRM programs do have a lot of handy features.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I will resist the dummied down QBO for as long as I possibly can. CRM programs do have a lot of handy features.
It's been a painful process. Just today, trying to duplicate invoices for repeat orders - literally takes 15 minutes to look up/edit invoice details, print/email invoice, and print packing slip. Realized packing slip needed to be updated so I made a quick change and reprinted it...... QBO decided to use a completely different template! Did I mention you CANNOT copy/paste line items?? Which genius decided us mere QBO users shouldn't have that kind of control over our overpriced accounting software?

It's infuriating to say the least. I've been using QB Desktop for 15 years and it really pisses me off that Intuit thinks QBO is "good enough".

<end rant>

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's been a painful process. Just today, trying to duplicate invoices for repeat orders - literally takes 15 minutes to look up/edit invoice details, print/email invoice, and print packing slip. Realized packing slip needed to be updated so I made a quick change and reprinted it...... QBO decided to use a completely different template! Did I mention you CANNOT copy/paste line items?? Which genius decided us mere QBO users shouldn't have that kind of control over our overpriced accounting software?

It's infuriating to say the least. I've been using QB Desktop for 15 years and it really pisses me off that Intuit thinks QBO is "good enough".

<end rant>
It's built for Billy Bob the tree trimmer who works out of his truck with a ticket book and would never grasp real accounting software. That group also wouldn't spend the $3-400 to buy it but don't mind making monthly payments.

ProColorGraphics

i dont think many, if any will be using it here.
Most people veer off to trello etc. the big names
Or people would get a more sign dedicated software like shopvox or something like that.

But trials are great, at least you get to try before you buy.
if it works for you, that's great! if it doesn't, keep searching...

There's so many different software and integration out there.

We use Xero, and i know you can connect trello to xero. also hubspot, sales force. and heaps of others.
How do you like Xero? I have looked at that briefly, as I get sick of QB constantly raising their rates, but couldn't figure out a good way to transition over to it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
How do you like Xero? I have looked at that briefly, as I get sick of QB constantly raising their rates, but couldn't figure out a good way to transition over to it.
No issues with xero. We moved from
MYOB (desktop version)
But we use it for accounting only as it’s connected to onprintshop (that creates our invoices, workflow, crm etc )

The reason why we went with xero is that it had a lot of 3rd party app support.

But before they we used xero and a CRM and worked great. Invoices with xero is easy. Easily sent out,
Has live bank feed to reconcile.
Customers can log in and see vie many invoices to pay.
Invoices had a pay now button to pay via card.

Not sure how featured QBO is but we’re not planning to move from xero.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Integrates/syncs flawlessly with QBO and you can actually customize everything which is super nice.
I'll point out a very important, key aspect.

Sign shops offer custom, made-to-order products. If they're not using specialized solutions for custom products, they're likely using either note pads or spreadsheets to list and calculate the costs and prices of the sign's components. The specialized solutions offer the screen views and record tables along with formulas and calculations for the task.

Does Method for QB (or your version of QB) offer this necessary screen in particular, either out of the box or customizable?

netsol

<end rant>
Many of our clients GAVE UP HOPE & went to the considerable expense of reverting back to quickbooks on prem server. One office (120 realtors) had to recreate 6 MONTHS of transactions, because they kept finding things QBO would not do. (example: realtors need to gernerate a YTD earnings statement, every time they buy an investment property or refinance. CAN'T DO IT! another function, you had for years, taken away.

Trouble is, this was the last year (2021, actually) you could buy a NO SUBSCRIPTION quickbooks. Even if you have it hosted on your own server, you pay a monthy fee for using it

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'll point out a very important, key aspect.

Sign shops offer custom, made-to-order products. If they're not using specialized solutions for custom products, they're likely using either note pads or spreadsheets to list and calculate the costs and prices of the sign's components. The specialized solutions offer the screen views and record tables along with formulas and calculations for the task.

Does Method for QB (or your version of QB) offer this necessary screen in particular, either out of the box or customizable?

So as far as I know, neither Quickbooks Destop nor Quickbooks Online (especially not) offer any features that you describe.

I was hoping that Method would have as much functionality/customization as something like Filemaker but after asking a million questions during our onboarding call it turns out it's a bit limited in that sense.

I suppose if we created custom price lists with say square foot pricing for raw materials then added some markup rules we could probably rig it so that we punch in materials and it somewhat generates a sell price, but still not super ideal.

I might be going back to the drawing board and going back to Quickbooks Desktop, rather than having to learn (make due with) QBO and additional add-on apps.

At least Quickbooks Desktop is powerful and not all cute and "friendly" (for dummies) like QBO is. Every time I've asked them why features are missing they just suggest "leaving feedback" within the app. Judging by the thousands of other frustrated users online, I won't hold my breath for them to add these fairly essential features.

Going back to Desktop will get our efficiency back in terms of creating estimates, invoices, reports etc. but we still need to come up / find a solution for efficiently quoting jobs then managing their status through production.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Many of our clients GAVE UP HOPE & went to the considerable expense of reverting back to quickbooks on prem server. One office (120 realtors) had to recreate 6 MONTHS of transactions, because they kept finding things QBO would not do. (example: realtors need to gernerate a YTD earnings statement, every time they buy an investment property or refinance. CAN'T DO IT! another function, you had for years, taken away.

Trouble is, this was the last year (2021, actually) you could buy a NO SUBSCRIPTION quickbooks. Even if you have it hosted on your own server, you pay a monthy fee for using it
Yeah, it really is a joke. There are ESSENTIAL features that just aren't there. Something as simple as recognizing a packing slip as a template that should be editable. Nope! Here's our sh!tty layout, and you're gonna like it.

Sorry, just not good enough for me.

(So much for me not ranting about QBO.........lol)

dypinc

So as far as I know, neither Quickbooks Destop nor Quickbooks Online (especially not) offer any features that you describe.

I was hoping that Method would have as much functionality/customization as something like Filemaker but after asking a million questions during our onboarding call it turns out it's a bit limited in that sense.

I suppose if we created custom price lists with say square foot pricing for raw materials then added some markup rules we could probably rig it so that we punch in materials and it somewhat generates a sell price, but still not super ideal.

I might be going back to the drawing board and going back to Quickbooks Desktop, rather than having to learn (make due with) QBO and additional add-on apps.

At least Quickbooks Desktop is powerful and not all cute and "friendly" (for dummies) like QBO is. Every time I've asked them why features are missing they just suggest "leaving feedback" within the app. Judging by the thousands of other frustrated users online, I won't hold my breath for them to add these fairly essential features.

Going back to Desktop will get our efficiency back in terms of creating estimates, invoices, reports etc. but we still need to come up / find a solution for efficiently quoting jobs then managing their status through production.
Have you really looked all you can do with templates in QBD. I find I can generate enough forms that can follow the job through production. With some notes added by production either in writing or their QBD that when the sheet is given back as a finished jobs it then be invoice. No need to copy and paste anything to go from estimate to production to invoice. Don't really help with scheduling other than when production sees the forms for the job.

As for QBO I can't see how people can trust the internet that much.