• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone using Sign Lab?

RIP? Not familiar with this term.

I've been doing signs since I was 14 (8 years expierence), I now manage the shop that my dad sold, though I've only been doing design and layout for the last 2 years. I have never heard this term RIP untill recently when I found this forum.

Also, anybody have any idea what kind of new features or bug fixes there will be for Signlab 8?

I"ve always been kind of weary when upgrading right away with any new software because of bugs and that sort. Whats your guy's expierence with new released Cadlink software?

signage

I was not aware that signlab 8 was out yet! I feel the same as you about new releases. But signlab has been good as far as I'm concerned.

dolce05

when you guys say you've been using signlab for years, are you now using it to do digital designs and if so how advanced can you get?? Or are you just using to rip??

cOrKinSA

I think this all made up my mind to go with Signlab 8 rather then Flex 8 as it looks pretty good.
I have been using Flexi 7.6 forever along with AI and FS.

d fleming

when you guys say you've been using signlab for years, are you now using it to do digital designs and if so how advanced can you get?? Or are you just using to rip??

You can get pretty advanced. Haven't had to use ps or illy in a while.

Rod

SignLab 8 and Visual Production Manager

[FONT=Arial]3dsignco[/FONT] said:
Been using it Since 1995 and would never use anything else. We have 3 machines with it on.
The RIP is fantastic especially when/if you design in Photoshop.
A couple issues with it that could be fixed or elimnated.

They include a token Photo editing section. Useless in my opinion except the crop tool. Any shop worth a Salt has Photoshop or at least Photopaint.

I saw this thread before and couldn't say anything because SignLab 8 wasn't officially released yet.

SignLab 8 has been released with GIMP (i.e., spirit) image editing tools that are comparable to PhotoShop. Further, we've developed GIMP documentation and tutorials to help you learn these tools quickly. I'd appreciate knowing about your experience using these tools.

The Print and Cut Manager RIP has been given an overhaul. The new RIP is now known as the Visual Production Manager due to the ease with which it can tile and layout your jobs on the media.

[FONT=Arial]Little City Signs[/FONT] said:
I feel as though this question has to be really stupid, but what is RIP?

RIP is short for Raster Image Processor. It is a software engine that takes your design (including images, text, line art, linked files, etc.) and renders the data, such that the print head can serially move back-and-forth across the media, laying down each line of the printed job. How you set up the job for your RIP determines the quality and speed with which your printer can complete each run.

The following Print Mode Creation Handbook should provide you with an idea of the variables that a RIP handles. This document was written as an aid for people to create or modify their own media profiles in SignLab, so you should be able to make sense of the descriptions:

http://www.cadlink.com/infoSource/nfo_sl_prntModeCreationHb.php

Regards,

Rod at CADlink

Replicator

on 02/05/2008

I saw this thread before and couldn't say anything because SignLab 8 wasn't officially released yet.

Rod at CADlink

I just contacted Cadlink, hopefully they'll help me out here . . .

I just PAID/UPGRADED to 7.1 a few months ago . . . If they had mentioned a NEW release on the way in a few months,

I definitely would have waited . . . I'm feeling a bit pissed off at the moment !

Replicator

You were right about that Techman . . .
Now they want another $500.00 from me to upgrade again to version 8.

I guess I'm done with Signlab . . .
I'll stick to Omega . . . Better service and honesty in their customer relations . . . !

By the way . . . I got : We didn't tell you about the upcoming release,
because we weren't sure about the exact release date . . . HOGWASH ! ! !

Rod

Amazed by replicator's response

Wow wee! Thought I'd grab my lunch and poke around signs101. I'm astonished by your response, Marc. If it weren't for the change in your avatar image, I would have thought your signs101 account had been hijacked. Unfortunately, it appears this business has ruined your weekend?

I certainly am not thrilled by how you are feeling. By the way, when I stated that I couldn't say anything before, I meant in terms of product features and the like. I honesty wasn't thinking in terms of people that were itching to upgrade.

(BTW, the fellow that would normally contact you, I believe his hard drive crashed this morning, so there are some technical difficulties going on there.)

For what it's worth, I can forward your complaint along, and we can take it from there.

Regards,

Rod at CADlink

Replicator

I spoke with someone at Cadlink this morning
and they told me I was out of luck . . .

and that for $500 big ones I could get the upgrade
I would have waited for before . . . !

Rodi

How long had V7 been out when you updated it? How much more was an upgrade from the version you upgraded from, i.e. V5 to V7 compared to V6 to V7? Was it about time for an upgrade? Unfortunately, software and hardware, they have to keep selling (revenue stream), but it frustrates the heck out of end users. The easiest thing is to keep updating as they update, then you'll find every bug first, woo hoo, or wait 6 months to let the early adopters get the bugs out.

Last edited: