• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone watching the Winter Olympics?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Yeah me neither.
But there are a few interesting headlines popping up now and then. We all take for granted that the Nordic countries would do well and finish at the top in their wheelhouse.
You'd also think they'd have a better idea of the dangers of competing in such a cold environment:

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I've just been skimming the drama headlines. Did NOT come across this one though. Until now...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I watch the bobsledding but only because I was about 8 when Cool Runnings came out and was hooked ever since.

Stacey K

I like making signs
He didn't get the memo about the Willy Warmer...poor guy

1645464985448.png

Scotchbrite

No comment
I enjoy watching the winter olympics, but don't watch much of the summer games. It's nice having the Peacock app because you can replay the events you really want to watch and no commercials.

binki

nope. no interest in bat eating, virus creating, scum countries. any western athlete that was there are idiots, it should have been a 100% boycott.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
nope. no interest in bat eating, virus creating, scum countries. any western athlete that was there are idiots, it should have been a 100% boycott.

You're an idiot.. and not just based on this post but the many others you have.

Those athletes train every day of the week.. all day.. for years, with the goal of being in the Olympics. Their families sacrifice a lot to support their training. If by some miracle, they don't get injured during years of practice, and make it though all the cuts and tryouts, and they have a chance to actually compete in the Olympics, something that they might never get another shot at in their life.. they are "idiots" because it just so happens that during their time it's held in China?

Your thinking is very shallow.

binki

Pretty much. China has created a lot of problems in this world. The Olympics are nothing more than a political statement and a very corrupt organization. Don't watch them, don't support them, don't care about them. Athletics is more than going to a corrupt organization, getting phyiscally and mentally abused.

If you don't like what I have to say, just push the ignore button. But one thing with me, you never have to guess where I stand or what I think. No regrets, no apologies.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

You're an idiot.. and not just based on this post but the many others you have.

Those athletes train every day of the week.. all day.. for years, with the goal of being in the Olympics. Their families sacrifice a lot to support their training. If by some miracle, they don't get injured during years of practice, and make it though all the cuts and tryouts, and they have a chance to actually compete in the Olympics, something that they might never get another shot at in their life.. they are "idiots" because it just so happens that during their time it's held in China?

Your thinking is very shallow.

Olympics has always been a political event. Xi did well with the first Olympics over that way and that's how he can to prominence.

1936 was also used for that as well (and it has been done in between those years as well, I picked 1936 as what came later was a very big event).

Olympics is also about unity of a country. Something that this one (and with the canucks to the north as well) is not, especially considering the last Olympics as well. Summer Olympics had the particularly nasty deal with athletes that had said ability to train and compete vilified the country that gave them said ability. I find it strange (just in general) that we have athletes that vilify the country that allowed them to do what they do, but yet keep their mouth shut towards countries that I would consider to have less of an impeccable record compared to the country that they are vilifying. Why I tend to have less of opinion of athletes in general in modern times. Now I am not saying that people in the Winter games this year has done this, or at least it isn't front and center focus like it was for the summer games.

The world isn't fair and despite the sacrifices that one has done, doesn't always result in a sure thing.

I will say this, athletics (not Olympics, although that too, but I'm thinking more grass roots athletics) is going to be in for a tough time. Very tough time.

I've found that keeping my hands in my pants prevents this problem from happening. Another benefit is no one wants to shake hands with me, which helps prevent the spread of viruses. It does seem to cause other problems however. Especially if it's not cold out.

De.signs Nanaimo

Pretty much. China has created a lot of problems in this world. The Olympics are nothing more than a political statement and a very corrupt organization. Don't watch them, don't support them, don't care about them. Athletics is more than going to a corrupt organization, getting phyiscally and mentally abused.

If you don't like what I have to say, just push the ignore button. But one thing with me, you never have to guess where I stand or what I think. No regrets, no apologies.
While China has created many problems, the US is at the very top of that naughty list. They have invaded or fought in 84 countries over history, and been involved militarily in 191 of the 193 countries on this planet.

Scotchbrite

No comment
The whole discussion about China is why I had zero interest in watching the opening and closing ceremonies. I'm just there to watch the athletes compete, I don't need to see the host nation putting on their show.

WildWestDesigns

While China has created many problems, the US is at the very top of that naughty list. They have invaded or fought in 84 countries over history, and been involved militarily in 191 of the 193 countries on this planet.
Both of these, I would think would need context to them. Not something that I wouldn't disagree, but they would need context to them, not just numbers to make sure. The reason why, is would it have been better if countries did nothing and allowed other countries to do what they wanted or to have done something? I would argue that it depends on the situation, not something that you get just with raw numbers.

Although, I will say this, CA is getting on up there with what they have done just recently on their own citizens. Now the US did it during the 1860s (I don't recall anything more recent, but I could be wrong on that, certainly states had done some things in more modern times(Kent State and the Ohio National Guard), but I'm talking about coming from the head office here), but that was also during a civil war, not just a group protesting the head office. Of course, this does depend on the political leanings (at least in today's time period) of those doing the protesting (something that should be concerning to both sides of the aisle), but I digress.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not saying what you said is wrong, but do you even realize that in the last 75 years, the number of countries has basically doubled ?? Your numbers are really nonsense based upon some silly poll. Rather than say what you did, please list all of the military involvements you are referring to. Otherwise, I don't have time to look up something that doesn't exist. And if you look even further, there were only around 35 countries in the early 1800s. While we might've participated in quite a few conflicts...... how many were we defending when fired upon first and how many were we begged to come in and defend world peace ??