• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application tape that comes off in one piece??

Is it scientifically possible to not punch one's self in the gut or be picking bits and pieces off when done?

Has it been made? is it reasonably priced?

Is plastic tape the only way to go?

gabagoo

3M premask is much thicker than every other one I have ever used... It does cost more but graphics lay down much better. One warning if you use it.... I have found that it does not stick very well to itself, so if you have to run 2 pieces over each other it is wise to run some masking tape over the join or it could come apart in the middle of an application, basically making your install one big headace

Graphics2u

What are you using? You can't buy thge cheapest thing on the market and expect it to be great. I use either Transfer-rite 782U or R-tape 4750. They have a heavier paper.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
rtape is my best friend, hate the clear garbage. only once in a blue moon does the rtape stuff come off in pieces for me.

gabagoo

Clear premask is far to rigid and unforgiving and also the adhesive is far to aggressive. I do have it when I need to place graphics over graphics...then it is worth the small headache over paper premask.

wedosigns

I had a hole log of r-tape 4750 that always seemed to come off in pieces.
When possible I would spray it down with app solution, let it soak up a bit, then peel off in 1 piece. It never hurt the vinyl or graphics under it.

Mosh

I have used transfer-rite since day one with no problems. I have tried all the others and keep coming back. I guess it must be how I do it, cause I don't have any problems....are you pushing it back or trying to "pull" it off. your hand should be pushing the tape down on the table upside-down on its-self not grabbing it and pulling. I bet your technique is the problem.

rtape here, every once in awhile ill get a punch to the gut, but it works really well. And i actually really do like their clear line as well!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have used transfer-rite since day one with no problems. I have tried all the others and keep coming back. I guess it must be how I do it, cause I don't have any problems....are you pushing it back or trying to "pull" it off. your hand should be pushing the tape down on the table upside-down on its-self not grabbing it and pulling. I bet your technique is the problem.

+1 for TR. I use it on sign vinyl, Hartco 310 sandblast mask and Anchor 116 & 117 monument stencil.

I only apply it just before I lay it down.

JB

J

john1

Never had a problem in 6 years with Rtape Conform 4075 and 4076

Patentagosse

Another vote for 3M. SCPM-3 since 'bout 1995 and thought I never use another brand until another shop in Toronto printed a large job for me and ran out of the 3M I requested. They use GXP900 (MainTape) and it's the same as 3M's but maybe a li'l better (thicker). I'm impressed so to speak. I just received a 54" and a 30" rolls for my big prints and can't wait to use it. I'm wearing glasses and once, with cheap paper I used in my first years in business, the paper just... well, you got the picture. It cost me near $350 to have my prescription replaced (new frame by the same occasion) so after that episode, I was shopping for PREMIUM THICK application tape. 3M SCPM-3 was the obsvious choice so I always bought that brand. Thicker stuff also means less chances to mess at installation step.

S'N'S

Have you tried a lower tack mask?
I use what ever my supplier has on special in medium tack, after all, it's only a one use item that ends up in the bin. Tried dearer brands ages ago and found no real difference, can't see the point in wasting money.

TwoNine

R-Tape all day. 4050 for medium tack (easier to peel - great for in-shop uses) and 4075 for high tack (field installations or graphics that sit for a long time before application).