• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

are there directions on installing own print head?

mark in tx

A technician is worth the money.

Besides the physical replacement, there are also calibrations to do, and a tech knows how to do it right the first time.
Not to mention if a tech screws something up, they fix it, if you screw up a head, you get to pay another 600 bucks.

BoF

Changing the print head is easy, its a matter of unscrewing 8 or so screws, unplugging the dampers, pulling the cables from the head and unscrewing the head from the carriage.

Putting another in is just doing the above in reverse!

Setting it up is the difficult part, which head is it? (CMY heads are easier than K), do you have access to a maintenance manual?
If you have the time, inclination and a bit of logic, it is possible but it would be better if you got a tech to do shows its done, so you know for next time....

particleman

It can really save some serious cash learning how to work on your own equipment. I don't blame anybody for wanting to do it themselves, but make sure you know what you're getting into.

We had techs do a few heads for a us early on then we got serious about learning how to do it, I've done 6 or so now and I consider it pretty easy/routine. Ideally get someone to show you how to do it that knows how.

That manual is very good M@ck linked too, but that is only the installation, you must do that head slant adjustment followed by the various alignments in maintenance mode, then finally the regular alignment. Head slant adjustment requires a loupe or high magnification device to do properly as does some of the fine adjustments.

APC Tech NE

Everyone posting here is essentially correct. I am an independent technician working out of the Northeast. I too like to save a few bucks whenever possible by fixing my own stuff. TV's cars etc. But i must say it has taken 6 weeks of combined training at the Mimaki headquarters in Atlanta and seven years of field experience to learn the subtle complexities of the alignment process. I am willing to work for less than the average hourly rate if you are within my service area to help you out if I can.

ColesCreations

And as y'all have probably noticed; the original poster have not bothered to neither clarify his question, nor saying thanks to the ones who put in a bit more effort than I did in my answer (though I am sure mine was totally correct), which reminds me of a similar story:

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realises he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: "Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?"

The man below says: "Yes, you're in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this field."

"Thank you very much indeed. You must work in Information Technology," says the balloonist.

"I do," replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," says the balloonist, "you've given me a smart-arsed response to a straightforward question, and although everything you have told me is technically correct, it's of no use to anyone!"

The man below hollers back, "You must be a very senior manager in business."

"I am," replies the balloonist, "but how can you tell?"

"Well", says the man, "you don't know where you are, or where you're going, but you expect me to be able to help. You're in the same position you were before we met, but now it's my fault."

:biggrin:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't care about the OP either after this , but your story was great......... :thumb: . . . :thread