• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are you kidding me?

Eforcer

For over a decade, I have done signs for a non profit. Last time I raised my base price for their signs was in 2019. I've seen coroplast in my area go up 40% since 2019 Inks have almost doubled, vinyl has had an increase etc. So I raised my prices based on past & current rates. I was charging $22 Last year, this year $27. And since it is a great cause. I allow them to sit down to create each one of 137 signs. Common back different logos and info. They are complaining that I raised my prices by 22% . Am I wrong?

Asking for peer opinions.

TIA

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I explained in an email the cost has gone up. They asked me to work with them. But haven't I?
Best to do it face to face. Email is too easy to hide behind. Most don't understand the cost of producing a sign. If they are a customer worth keeping show them. If they are not then give them your best price and clear the decks for the next one. Most of the time giving in a little does not work, but sometimes it can.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Geneva said it best to me while back when I had the local VFW try to force me to charge only $50 for pole banners. It was quite a debacle, the guy was a jerk and I told him to downtown. And he did and as I talk to people in the community, I'M GLAD HE DID.

Here's her quote from that post, perhaps it might ring true for this, or maybe not. Geneva: "He is a con trying to force you to do something under the guise of a good cause"

None of our business what your group is but there's a cost to doing a fundraiser. They can't expect to get everything for free. If they are making 137 signs, the event is likely pulling in plenty of money to pay you.

A lot of non-profits are great but I've gotten a big wake up call with our local booster club. Local businesses were getting overwhelmed with groups asking for donations constantly so they started a booster club. They create 1-2 large events per year and make at least $20k+ per event. These groups have been told multiple times they are to ask the booster club FIRST and not to ask businesses for handouts. Some refuse to do so. I've been personally told by the booster club not to provide ANY discounts or free labor to any school group who asks as that's why they created the booster club. And believe me - they have PLENTY of money in that account and most of it sits there not being used.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
For over a decade, I have done signs for a non profit. Last time I raised my base price for their signs was in 2019. I've seen coroplast in my area go up 40% since 2019 Inks have almost doubled, vinyl has had an increase etc. So I raised my prices based on past & current rates. I was charging $22 Last year, this year $27. And since it is a great cause. I allow them to sit down to create each one of 137 signs. Common back different logos and info. They are complaining that I raised my prices by 22% . Am I wrong?

TIA

The fact that you're here asking is further proof you've spent too much time and effort on them already. Fire them and free yourself from this nonsense.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just yesterday, I had a customer ask me to itemize my invoice. I asked why ?? She said, so we know what to charge our tenants. She wanted to know what each and every sign consisted of. So, I told her.... your tenant(s) only see the end results, but don't realize that the location was first looked at, a discussion or two took place, files were created, ripped, proofs sent back & forth, vinyls, cut, weeded, taped up and we hadda go back and remove old vinyl, clean and prep the area and then apply the new vinyl and then get back to the shop. So, when we combine other projects in with it.... especially for the same customer, some of those costs manage to get doubled up and accounted for and work out in the wash. That's why I said, pay the whole thing and you can pass on whatever you want.

Gary1

TIA

It’s your business. You owe no favours to no one and you need to make a profit to continue to stay open so you can still be able to make their signs. If they buy 22% less then they have nothing to complain about.

unmateria

With paper between a x2 and x3 increase, inks like 30%, gasoline 50-70%, energy between 100% and 200% randomly, alluminium and steel x2... A 20% increase its a gift.

My old retired boss always said that its much better to close the business loosing all customers because of the prices than because of the debts.

We are business... Not services. Services is what governments do. I have seen closing soooo many shops for not charging what they should... Knowing it...

garyroy

You are not wrong in raising your prices. We all know stuff has gone up... and so do they.
But it may not have been an issue if you had raised their prices $1/sign per year. That's the mistake most of us make.
There's not much of an issue when the prices are raised just a little very year, but a 22% raise in 1 year, that they noticed.

Eforcer

You are not wrong in raising your prices. We all know stuff has gone up... and so do they.
But it may not have been an issue if you had raised their prices $1/sign per year. That's the mistake most of us make.
There's not much of an issue when the prices are raised just a little very year, but a 22% raise in 1 year, that they noticed.
Thanks. I guess they will respond harder. I couldn't believe they wanted to have their accountant come in to speak to me. For what? LM( Y )O

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
Non-profits are some of the worst. I purchased my business about 3 years ago. The previous owner had not raised ANY prices in over 8 years. Well, since this is how I support my family, raising prices was one of the first things I had to do. Right off the bat, two non-profits raised hell about the increases and how I dare I do this to a non-profit organization. It was later pointed out to me, that I am a business, I am in business to make a profit/living, I don't have to justify my costs to anyone. Obviously, I no longer do business with these organizations. Never did much for them anyway. I would rather not have those types of customers.